331st R.B.D. of V Corp. SLDF –Minnesota Tribe - Clan Wolverine – My Thoughts …. (quite long)

Pages: 1
Requiem
08/19/18 09:48 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
. When do I believe the 331st Royal BattleMech Division aka Clan Wolverine will return to the game world?

Considering that in 2016 Blaine Pardoe’s Betrayal of Ideals was released and received an overwhelming support from the fan-base you would have thought this would have been quickly followed by additional books to retain momentum and build brand awareness.

The reality that this has not occurred and the lack of an awareness as to the game developers future projects that they are working on to develop the future of game speaks volumes.

Though this may also be due to how and when the game developers want to re-introduce them.

The time line as at 3150 may be just not the right time – we need to get through the current arc, and into the beginning of the next big story arc before they can be reintroduced.

So patience is required – tough on a personal note I would have liked to be informed that yes the game developers were considering re-introducing them and we (the fans) just had to be patient.

Thus how would I consider re-introducing the 331st Royal BattleMech Division – as calling them a Clan or that they were a part of the Clans can no longer be considered their name (As post Trial of Annihilation – an act of genocide – will have that effect upon the survivors), will be dependent upon the ending of the Dark Age – who survives – who falls etc. It could be that the 331st steps in to save them from themselves to restore law and order etc.

Or it could be time for the alien invasion;

Or post Clan Home Wolds Reaving Wars – they are now weak enough for the 331st to finally invade and conquer the Clan home worlds once and for all.

Or it could be something that I have been unable to determine at this point.

1. Once leaving DC space, due to resupply issues, where did they go next?

Upon exiting the Exodus road Khan Trish Ebon (and Khan Sarah McEvedy?) they would have required 1. Re-supply their food and water stocks; and 2. Intelligence regarding the warring states of the Inner Sphere.

They also would have recognised the need to be covert, rather than overt. The political situation within the Inner Sphere would hot have been receptive to these refugees,. I believe they guessed correctly that none of the House Lords would have been receptive to the information regarding what Nicholas was building on the Clan Home Worlds – to the point they would have been hunted down and killed on sight.

This clearly explains the raids upon Svelvik, Trondheim, Jarell and finally Richmond, it also explains why they chose to move through unknown systems through the periphery / deep periphery space whilst skirting the Inner Sphere border form the Draconis Combine towards the Federated Suns . As ComStar was able to track them, but ultimately lost their trail somewhere close to the Valentina system.

Though this would also mean that they decided to go along the Periphery States Out-worlds Alliance borders with the Great Houses, rather than continuing moving outside the Inner Sphere and the Periphery states.

Why? – discourage pursuers; 2. Resupply food / water; 3. Information gathering regarding the Inner Sphere; or 4. Other (unknown).

Considering they had Warships it may have been more likely the fleet was broken into groups – one along the inside and one along the outside at this time.
The 3095 “Rosetta stone” found on McEvedy’s Folly, in my opinion, would suggest the fleet was able to make it this far where they either used this planet as a staging ground for the fleet whilst they dispersed several Jumpships as scouts to find multiple close systems that could comfortably support human life or was just a pit-stop in an ongoing voyage.

However, I believe McEvedy’s folly was too inhospitable and too close to the Inner Sphere to be considered to be their new home – hence they moved on.

2. In all likelihood where is their new home worlds?

At this stage you would have to ask why they have been travelling for so long and I believe the answer to this is in the History of the SLDF’s V Corp. 331st Royal BattleMech Division.

In 2578 when the Star League declared war upon the the Periphery the 331st were sent to the Magistracy of Canopus, the Outworlds Alliance and the Rim Worlds Republic.

I would therefore contend that their new home worlds are somewhere beyond McEved’s Folly, somewhere beyond the Magistracy of Canopus moving all the way around behind the Marion Hegemony and as high as the Circinus Federation, let us say 100 to 200 light years out in unknown space. This would also provide them with the security they crave in keeping their people safe (not only from the Clans but also from the machinations of the Inner Sphere Great Houses).

It would also allow them to be close enough to the Inner Sphere to visit – covertly.

And it would also allow them a covert path back to the planet of Barbados – for the spiritual side of the 331st – a place to reflect on where they came from and where they are going. (and would also explains the Stone arch and chairs above the two graves on Barbados).

3. Did their society prosper?

Yes – though this may have required finding assistance from Individuals within the Inner Sphere to join their society given that their initial population would be within the tens of thousands only.

Their buildings / infrastructure / agriculture / horticulture etc also would have taken time to establish and may have required obtaining their initial stock from the Inner Sphere.

As for the society itself – a return to what the Star League stood for – all its values, hopes and dreams – thus the Case system may have been abandoned - though they may have retained some of their old clan ways - such as the eugenics program;

Their governing body though would not, in my opinion, just be the military – there would be a council of individuals each representing their people.
Should the 331st Return to the Game world?
You may choose only one
YES
NO

Votes accepted from (08/19/18 08:48 PM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
Requiem
08/19/18 09:48 PM

4. How would you compare their technology with that of the either the IS or the Clans?

Initially they were ahead in technology with the Clans, though considering the time it would have taken to find their new home and establish it their level of technology from then on would have been behind that of the Clan Home Wolds.

5. Did they recruit personnel within the IS and did they spy on the Clans?

Yes, I am convinced they sought out people who embodied the Star League Ethos and recruited them – this also included former units who had a SLDF history, such as the disappearance of the Cutthroats from the Inner Sphere.

Though this action was very overt, I would assume that this was a one off, from then on they were very covert regarding their actions.

As for spying on the Clans –doubtful – as their only way in would have been through the Dark Caste if they did. Though they could have … it is not beyond the realms of probability that they didn’t.

And if they did then they may have had access to omni-mech technology and elementals.

6. How did they keep themselves hidden for so long?

At times the 331st may have had isolationist tendencies or they may have developed a new stealth technology that enables them to come and go as they please – they may also have become very good at the art of infiltration their people throughout the Inner Sphere for long periods of time.

Plus if no one knows what they are looking for it is easier to move around with a degree of freedom.

7. Did they interfere with the redevelopment of the IS and if so what were their aim(s)?

Yes, I believe at times they did interfere … and I believe the two main examples of this were …
1. The Black Box – that was found within an old SLDF Base by the Future Archon of the Lyran Commonwealth during her sojurn through the Periphery and back into Lyran Space – she just ‘happed’ to stumble upon it, more likely it was planted there for her to find.
2. The Helm Memory Core – A Memory Core that had no degradation of information whatsoever just ‘happed’ to be found in the years just prior to the Clans invasion – this is a little too coincidental don’t you think?

Their aim therefore was to prepare the Inner Sphere as best they could – the Inner Sphere was on the threshold of becoming the Star League once more and thus they had earned the right to survive and the right of self-determination, etc.

Though if they did know the Clans plans at this stage then they did have sleeper agents within the Clans who were feeding them information.

8. With the arrival of Wolfs Dragoons within the IS – how did they react and why?

Being a reconnaissance force – they decided upon observation policy only?

And this is when they began, in full force, assisting Inner Sphere Scientists with technological breakthroughs.

9. Why didn’t they get involved with the Clan’s Invasion of the IS circa. 3050 onwards?

3050 with the Invasion of the Clans – the 331st did not have the military (size) to oppose them? Or was it due to a technological difference? Or maybe it was political – their appearance on the battlefield would have just aggravated the situation towards total war – thus the Inner Sphere would have had no chance at all to repel the invaders as all 19 clans would end up invading at the same time to kill the remnants of Clan Wlverine – thus both the 331st and the Inner Sphere could not have survived. At that time

10. When will Clan Wolverine return to an ‘operational status’ within the game?

As stated above I believe the earliest the game developers would consider this is for the next big arc story – so we (the fans) need to get through the Dark Age first – if not, then maybe another 10 or 20 years in the real world as we wait for a new CEO who actually has an appreciation for the game.

11. Who and where will their Ire fall first?

As per the Nova Cats prophetic dreams - first target would be the Ghost Bears. And then each and every remaining Clan thereafter – until all the Clans are themselves extinct.

12. What is their ultimate goal?

The fall of Clan Wolverine truly started with Khan Sara McEvedy’s progressive ideas – allowing people to have freedom and upward mobility through the Castes etc. – not going along with Nicholas’ edicts etc.

Thus their ultimate goal would be to save the Clans Civilian Castes from that of their military overlords. Return them back to being Star League civilians.

And to set history back to what it should have been – a return of the truth to the Clan people regarding Nicholas (the Despot, The Tyrant, The Mass Murderer etc …….)
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
ghostrider
08/19/18 10:37 PM

A few things may need to be addressed.
200 light years is about 7 jumps, with 100 being 4. Think that is still to close to the IS, especially with the periphery extending out further in some places. 30 light year per jump.

The wolverines tech would be less then the clans, as they would not have enough scientists to keep up with the others. Also their lesser population would have been that much longer to build a new world(s).

The sudden appearance of the black boxes as well as the helm core, was done to advance their story line. No coincidence, as they needed to jump tech up, in order to keep old players there, as well as try to bring in new ones. The Wolverines would have to know where the finders were going, plant the information, and get out before they are spotted. Not likely in that event.

I would think the Snow Ravens, and Jade Falcons would be the first ones they would go after. It was those two that caused their flight to begin with. Much like all clanners hate Amaris.
Along these lines, I would think they would not try to go around the IS from the 'east' side, to the 'west side. Too long, unless they had information on worlds the Star League had surveyed in secret. Even that seems unlikely.
Requiem
08/20/18 01:29 AM

The 331st would have, in my opinion, no more than a dozen words, at a maximum, that they have colonized.

If there placement is in an obscure direction even at 200 light years the chance of being detected is minimal.

And with a rapid pursuit navy, in the eventuality they are discovered, 7 jumps would be more than enough distance to ensure their security.

Plus you need a reason to explore in a particular direction and if there is no reason to explore in a particular direction – why waste resources, time and money in exploring an area of space that appears to have no value whatsoever?

And yes, as I stated above their initially reduced population and the time taken to establish their new civilisation will have a detrimental effect upon their level of technology in comparison to that of the Clans.

Though there are ways and means around increasing their population artificially through either ...
• Genetic manipulation;
• Immigration – citizens of the Inner Sphere;

By 3150 this is then over 300 years from the trial of annihilation and their exodus in returning to the Inner Sphere.

As for closing the technology gap
• industrial espionage (stealing it from either the Clans or the IS) + the scientists (what if they were able to liberate Dr. Devon Cortland and his knowledge regarding the Word of Blake weapon systems post Jihad – what 2nd / 3rd Generation weapon systems could he have then achieved for the 331st );
• Plus recent history - They did not have to go through devastating wars such as those as the IS (Jihad) or the Clans (Wars of Reaving) – the 331st industrial base is untouched in comparison to that of either the IS or the Clans; and
• Plus they did not adopt the IS policy after the Jihad to reduce the size of their armed forces that was imposed upon others in the IS.

Given the above reasons in the last 80 years they could have achieved parity and maybe even overcome the technology gap between the 331st, the Clans and the IS.

This would them give them the opportunity to strike back now or in the near future – and is this not what the game needs a new combatant to fight against when you enter the next arc of the story?

I am still of the opinion that the 331st knows all the locations of the hidden SLDF bases – they could pop in a year in advance and during a period of time of their choosing start the rumour that a SLDF base had been found in the mountains on a certain planet.

It is just like being a prospector and being told there is gold in those mountains – everyone would move to get at it.

And where did the rumours originally come from? If I stumbled upon it I would have kept my mouth shut until I could legally claim it as my own, then get as much money out of as I could by bringing in investors etc.

As for the Ravens and Falcons – that is a possibility – it just comes down to if they are still in existence by the time the 331st strike back, and given the number of clans that have fallen recently that is still a possibility.

Perhaps the route they took was based upon faulty information – or that was the only way they could go at the time due to an unexpected military event – and thus once committed they just kept on going until they found their new home worlds. As it just comes down to the back story that needs to be developed.

Though I must say it would be fun to develop this society and introduce it upon your own Alt. Universe ….

My next major project?
ghostrider
08/20/18 10:51 AM

A little off the subject, but related.

Plus you need a reason to explore in a particular direction and if there is no reason to explore in a particular direction – why waste resources, time and money in exploring an area of space that appears to have no value whatsoever?

Why does anyone explore the unknown.
All known worlds started off as a need for resources is one of those reasons. Simply to find out what is out there is another. Others, just running from bad situations, such as criminals, real or framed. Bad conditions on the worlds they lived on.

More then a few pirates live out there, and I don't see why the houses would not have explored much that far out, if nothing more then looking for their bases.
If you wanted to, the fact all house capitals are much further from terra then 7 jumps.
But this is an observation.

It is just like being a prospector and being told there is gold in those mountains – everyone would move to get at it.
This statement actually answers your own question of any particular direction. Rumors would be enough for some.
Requiem
08/20/18 04:44 PM

Time – Perception – the reason for action – and costs – change

In the earliest time when humanity took to the stars there was a time for expansion as people actively joined the ‘wagon train’ to the stars – emigrating to find a better place for themselves and that of their children.

However, with the coming of the Star League and the Succession Wars the peoples view is no longer that of the explorer, looking outward to their stars, it is now looking inward. Only a very few companies have the resources to still explore the unknown – and as such the costs of exploring the unknown have over time become astronomical – and as such these companies have lost their ability to explore for the sake of exploring, they are now answerable to their shareholders and investment bankers to find those resources that will turn into a long term profit for these people both quickly and cheaply to maximise profits.

Thus all exploration now is based upon the profit and loss statement of the investment banker.

Thus if you are able to determine in advance a profitable system candidate from an unlikely candidate you would always go with the profitable – thus taking the exploratory group down a different path.

Next .....

13. How could 331st, given their limited resources they took with them from Clan Space, initially establish a successful colony?

That is the infrastructure required to rebuild and become prosperous quickly.

Agriculture, horticulture, aquaculture - mining, smelters, industrial parks, power plants – Housing, schools, hospitals - everything that a society takes for granted needs to be built from the ground up.

The answer is the Inner Sphere – they initially use the resources of the Inner Sphere to rebuild their own society.

How?

First, abandoned / lost star league era bases within the deep periphery are reactivated - pillaged for whatever is there - This could explain the route they took - they were pillaging these hidden bases for their future.

Second, by establishing false identities / false companies and engaging in commerce – the 331st establishes multiple companies within multiple Great Houses in the Inner Sphere – making a Star League era product(s) that everyone thought was lost due to the succession war – they then use those profits to purchase many of the items that they are unable to “acquire through other means”.

Parts of items could be made in different states and only once these parts return ‘home’ and are assembled do they actually work as they were intended

They then also use these identities to freely move throughout the Inner Sphere – finding new recruits and completing any of their overall goals.

You could say they are hiding in plain sight – they could even have their own mercenary group within the Inner Sphere – finding possible warrior recruits.

Thus the 331st has not only established prosperous colonies but hey are growing and without anyone realising who they are or where they are.

In all likelihood given the location of their colony worlds (as above) they would be within House Steiner, Marik and Davion (not Liao –as their culture is too restrictive) without anyone realising to whom their true allegiances lie.

Yes, the first 100 years would be hard for the 331st but once established –with a strong agricultural and industrial base and with a high growth rate (normal, canister and migrants) they will flourish.
Requiem
08/21/18 06:57 PM

14. Why have the 331st retained with an isolationist policy for so long?

1. A lack of comparable military industrial technology with that of the Clans &/or IS?;
2. Population – even after 300 years, due to their small initial population, including a strong eugenics and immigration programs, their population would be quite small to that of even just one of the remaining 19 Clans – thus by 3150 estimate no more than 20-25 million at a maximum?
3. Political – the 331st have a strong “self-determination” movement within their society due to their Trial of Annihilation by the remaining 19 Clans – Led by Nicholas’ desire for an object lesson to retain his political power – i.e. they do not desire to be seen as misusing their power for petty vengeance.

15. What would ‘force’ the 331st into action once more?

Given their history, in one word – Genocide – this barbaric act will force their hand to act for the persecuted.

I Know, you would now cite the Jihad era – but during this time did not a couple WOB forces just disappear? (I think I might expand on this within my conspiracy thread)

16. How wold they act?

Militarily – their forces a designed around a covert paradigm – to maintain their anonymity.

(They believe that if their presence becomes common knowledge all the Clans would invade the IS – this is why they remaining out of any direct involvement – tough did their agents provide the IS with technology to advance their weapon systems?)
Requiem
08/31/18 11:07 AM

Crusader Actual to Crusader Foxtrot,” she said over her com channel “Paint me a picture,” as Chapter Master Sophia scrambled her Black Knight Omni ‘Mech over rocky outcrop at the head of her regiment.

“Target entering in one,” came the voice of Senior Grade Lieutenant Daphne.

At this stage she no longer required to provide any orders to her Crusaders, their training eliminated the need as every one of them was now a veteran of this shadow Crusade against the World of Blake Shadow divisions and their cybernetic ally augmented warriors, the Manei Domini.

They were a threat to their primary mission of returning the soul of the Star League to the people, and as such were being hunted to extinction in the shadows of their own Jihad.

From the outset of this battle her forces had been able to strike at their throat and that would throttle the life from their foe as she had denied them not only access to their nuclear ordinance but at the same time she stripped them of their command. From then on she forced the remaining units to retreat as she herded them along the ridge that led back down the valley as her pursuit force was acting as the diversion whilst her trap was sprung. Help had finally arrived as her Fourth Battalion had finally arrived, ghosting along the side of the valley they were moving fast in one more minute they would be right on their flank and then it would be all over. The coordinated and concentrated fire of her Crusaders took them out quickly as multiple ER PPC, Gauss and LRM rounds flashed across her screen decimating the final Blakists in a scene from Dante’s Inferno.

With a soft sigh she thought, “Now it is over!”.

Soon thereafter Sophia found herself scanning the surrounding battlefield as a familiar voice chirped in her ear “We will be on the ground momentarily, my Lady” from her confined cockpit she smirked as viewing into the heavens as she studied the contours of the sleek dropships as they began their final decent to the valley floor, their forms appeared to waver ghostlike as the storm’s intensity increased and the lights from the landing zone twinkled like dim phantoms in the rain.

Soon the battlefield will be sanitized by her power armoured infantry, all evidence as to their passing will be removed. Their doctrine was clear, to act from the shadows and remain in the shadows, when preserving humanities freedom from the tyranny of those who would betray that freedom and then finally to return home. Word had come through Stone’s forces were finally victorious and her mission of eradicating the last remnants of the World of Blake Shadow divisions was complete.

Finally after over a month of ghosting through the void in the warship SLS Void Weaver Sophia stood upon the bridge sipping her coffee as she pressed her face close to the glass and looked between the gaps in the warship’s starboard gun emplacement as she viewed the reflection of her sister approaching her.
“Penny for your thoughts Soph…” Sohia smiled at her sister’s enquiry. Being from the same Iron Mother’s progeny group the two could be excused for being identical twins except for their eye’s colour and their individual disposition, Sophia tested out to the warrior program whilst her sister Elizabeth entered the Naval program.
“Liz … the Spheres gonna go real bad, real quick it could even be sundered beyond repair”
Elizabeth opened her mouth to argue but closed it quickly knowing that no argument could be made at this time. Elizabeth looked at her sister with sadness in her eyes, though she knew no words would comfort her sister she just placed her hand on her sister’s shoulder and gave it a squeeze knowing the familial affection between sisters would help her through the mordent thought.
Smiling Sophia replied, “I guess we are the foolish who keep pressing onward”
Elizabeth smiled knowingly “Touché … “

With Land-fall however Elizabeth noticed Sophia’s personality changed to that of her Chapter Master persona as they headed out in this most solemn of occasions.

They had come not long after midnight, the storm had passed, and the full moons were now high in the sky, drowned in a sea of stars as the darkness evaporated, though the shadows darkness beneath the trees remained absolute.

The force of BattleMechs had penetrated the depths of woodland to surround a lone mausoleum, the stone’s soft glow providing light to guide them to a clearing, a place where massive stone slabs broke from the earth and around them as well as small tomb stones and where grew clumps of violets and daisies. Looking through her screen Sophia knew what was engraved upon Sarah McEvedy ‘s mausoleum, and even now just as the first time it brought her an emotional response as that of a child looking for her mother’s guidance.

The force then proceeded on foot into the clearing and on to the hilltop, there they formed the circle as each participant drew their sword and moved them quickly between the attack and the guard position one by one.

Slowly small holes were then made into the ground and into them small urns were placed, they were then covered with soil and on top of each a tombstone was placed for each lost shadow crusader.

As per those who went before them, those lost to a Shadow Crusade were now returned and are remembered.

Standing in front of the mausoleum as its glow wrapped around her Sophia looked out upon the assembled warriors and declared, “Though the Sphere has been fractured once more by the whims of tyranny we have ensured that through our Shadow Crusade it has lasted but a day. In time the true spirit of the League will return!”.
Requiem
09/02/18 07:51 AM

17. Weapon Systems?

Considering the 331st hunted down and executed the WOB Shadow Divisions, and then sanitised their battlefields of any trace of their passing. It is only fitting that the 331st Shadow Crusaders reverse engineer many of the WOB secrets behind many of their technological advancements. Thus they can utilise these weapon systems as well as creating their own modifications down through the ages.

So bring Back the Interface Armour, all their Battlemechs / omnimechs , Powered Armour, Aerospace Fighters, LAM Conversion Equipment etc as it would be quite a waste to leave these technological marvels to the Jihad war.

We could even say that Lin Murakami (who debriefed Dr. Devon Cortland was a 331st Shadow Crusader on assignment within the Inner Sphere at the time) and it was she who spirited Dr. Cortland to the 331st Home Worlds where he was put to work designing / implementing new weapon systems for them.
Requiem
09/12/18 04:43 PM

18. McEvedy’s Folly

This is an independent world beyond the borders of both the Marian Hegemony and the Magistracy of Canopus.

Though, could the meaning of this world be lost to the ages when the Definition of the word “folly” includes … a building in the form of a small castle, temple, etc that has been built as a decoration in a large garden or park.

So, could this world have had a building erected by the former Wolverines for some, as yet, unknown reason?

But if I was to guess this is the world where they changed from what they were to what they are now and once this change occurred in some form of ceremony they continued on to their final home.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 123 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4366

Contact Admins Sarna.net