FanPro AT2 Revised Step 8 Add Heat Sinks, Crew Quarters, and Cargo pp. 67-69

Pages: 1
tmr01750195
09/26/18 11:48 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Morning from WA,

First, I have finally purchased a replacement copy of HM Aero and printed out the Mjolnir's TR as an added check to the material for Design Example 2 in FanPro AT2 Revised.

Step 8. Add Heat Sinks, Crew Quarters, and Cargo p. 67 has the ship generating 6,576 of heat from the weapons carried. My heat total is 6,515 which I checked with the TR for the Mjolnir to determine what I may have missed.

The TR has the following entries which are different from my calculations:

Nose: 2 AR10 (9 KW, 9 WS, 9 B) generating Heat 40.
FL/FR: 2 AR10 (8 KW, 8 WS, 8 B) generating Heat 80.
AL/Ar: 2 AR10 (8 KW, 8 WS, 8 B) generating Heat 80.
Aft: 2 AR10 (9 KW, 9 WS, 9 B) generating Heat 40.

Reviewing the Capital Missile table in the program I found that the AR-10 launcher generated 20 points of heat. Looking at the numbers the heat calculation uses the heat from the Killer Whale, which generates the most heat when launched.

Checking FASA AT2 Capital Weapons Table on p. 101 the AR-10 had an asterisk (*) with additional asterisks in the heat, attack value, max. range, and tons per shot columns. The asterisk is for the following note: "The AR10 system can fire the Killer Whale, White Shark, or Barracuda missiles (but not teleoperated missiles) as long as other appropriate ammunition is available."

FanPro AT2 Revised Capital Weapons Table on p. 162 appears to be the same table as from FASA AT2 with the same note with a minor change. "The AR10 system can fire the Killer Whale, White Shark, or Barracuda missiles (but not tele-operated missiles) as long as other appropriate ammunition is available."

CGL PDF TechManual downloaded 7/14/18 Inner Sphere Heavy Weapons and Equipment Table (Cont) on p. 342 has the following note: "††Weapon heat, damage, range, and ammo weight is based on missile type fired (May fire only standard Killer Whale, White Shark, or Barracuda missiles)."

The AR-10 BattleTech Wiki article has the Heat entry of "As capital missile".

Based on the four sources above my understanding is that the generated heat of an AR-10 launcher depends on the capital missile being used which would be 20 for a Killer Whale, 15 for a White Shark, and 10 for a Barracuda missile. This does not appear to be the case in the FanPro or HM Aero calculations for the warship example.

My first heat calculation for the AR-10 that resulted in the total heat value of 6,515 was flawed. Recalculating using only the Killer Whale's heat of 20 my new value is 6,456 and including the launcher heat of 20 does agree with the example in FanPro AT2 Revised and HM Aero TR.

My questions are:

1. Why would an AR-10 generate additional heat above what the missile being launched creates?

2. Can anyone please provide a source title and page number that clearly states that the AR-10 generates 20 heat points?

Tom Rux
ghostrider
09/26/18 12:52 PM

Not saying this is the reason, but it is possible, there is a flaw in the programing of the AR launcher. It isn't unique that some variants don't always work, or could have been screwed up in an update.
Personally, I would think the missiles launched is what should be counted, as that sounds like the intention of the launcher.

Can help with anything but observations, as I don't have anything but the original aerotech, and battle master rules. I think they changed some of this since then.
tmr01750195
09/26/18 08:11 PM

Hello again ghostrider,

Quote:
Not saying this is the reason, but it is possible, there is a flaw in the programing of the AR launcher. It isn't unique that some variants don't always work, or could have been screwed up in an update.
Personally, I would think the missiles launched is what should be counted, as that sounds like the intention of the launcher.

Can help with anything but observations, as I don't have anything but the original aerotech, and battle master rules. I think they changed some of this since then.

Thank you again for your comments and observations.

As mentioned I read the information as if I where following a preventative maintenance procedure. Most of the procedures had specific steps to follow like: Step 1. Set the test generator switch to position 2; Step 2. Check the display and verify that there is a signal in the middle of the display.

The Wiki article and the three books I have all show a note that indicates the heat, attack value/damage, range, and ammo (per ton) are those of the missile not the launcher. The AR-10 is a substitute for three different launchers. Standard weapons with ammo produce heat when they fire but not when they are not firing or not loaded.

The issue is none of the source books provides a clearly written statement of whether or not the AR-10 has a separate heat requirement or an example.

While I disagree with the requirement that the AR-10 generates additional heat points equal to those of the capital missile being fired I have adjusted my spreadsheet to match the example.

Tom Rux
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 48 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2373

Contact Admins Sarna.net