Weapon Ideas that Don't Belong in BattleTech

Pages: 1
AmaroqStarwind
05/01/18 12:40 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
A thread for discussing weapon ideas that don't belong in BattleTech, usually due to violating the laws of physics in some very big ways, being shamelessly copied from another franchise, or having prequisite technologies that would never exist in BattleTech.

Here are some of mine:
Ice Beam: Functions like a Clan ER PPC, except it does a variable amount of damage (3d6), temporarily immobilizes a target, renders them more susceptible to damage from ballistic weapons and missiles during that period, and reduces their heat levels to zero. On a Natural 2, the weapon backfires quite literally, freezing your entire mech and everything directly adjacent to you.

Wave Beam: Functions like an Indirect Fire version of the Inner Sphere ER-PPC (passing right through solid terrain), except it also has a –2 To-Hit modifier (–4 against submerged enemies), and causes the target to suffer the effects of Improved Magnetic Pulse iATMs. It only does 2d6+3 damage.

Plasma Beam: Functions like a cross between ER and Snub-Nosed PPCs, delivering a whopping 5d6 damage, can pass through multiple targets (subtracting the lowest damage die for each target beyond the first, or for each range bracket beyond short, to a minimum of 1d6), ignores Reflective Armor, and delivers 2d6 heat to everything that it hits. It has five shots, but they recharge at a rate of 1 shot per turn.

Spazer Beam: Functions like an LB-X Cluster version of the ER-PPC, with a –2 To-Hit Modifier and delivering damage to any targets directly adjacent to the one you're actually firing at. Damage is distributed in 3-point clusters, so against Ferro Lamellar Armor with a Blue Shield PFD it will always do a minimum of 1 damage.

Gravity Gun: A modified PPC that can push or pull a target from afar (treated as a physical attack), or catch and launch incoming missiles/debris right back to their sender (requiring a Physical Attack roll for catching, and a Gunnery roll for returning). Newton's laws of motion apply, so if you are trying to push or pull something with greater mass than your mech, it's going to be your own mech that gets moved.

Ice Missile: A missile version of the Ice Beam described above. Available as a special munition for any missile weapon (doing the same amount of damage as a normal missile). An internal ammunition explosion will still cause damage, but also remove heat from your own mech. In addition, firing the missiles also removes half as much heat from your mech as the missile launcher would generate when firing normal ammunition.

Annihilator Beam: A version of the Snub Nose PPC with Indirect Fire capability, a much longer range (ER-PPC Medium and Long range brackets, and Hypervelocity AC/5 Extreme range bracket), and simultaneously treated as both an energy and kinetic weapon. However, it only works underwater, and produces considerable recoil.

Seeker Missiles: A special munition for iATM, Streak LRM and Streak SRM launchers which can attempt to divide its salvo as evenly as it can among up to 5 targets (requiring separate attack rolls, but ignoring Moving Target and Multiple Target penalties). Has a +2 Cluster Hits Modifier, –2 Target Modifier, and the ability to hit targets directly adjacent to its firing arc. Capable of Indirect Fire, but uses its own guidance solution which makes it incompatible with Artemis systems, NARC beacons, and even the Streak mechanism included in the very launchers it is being fired from. It is also amphibious, and is not known to be susceptible to ECM, but it still cannot see through Null Sig.

EU-13 Destabilizer: Could be described as an Ultra AC/10 that does not use ammunition, fires Incendiary/Tracer munitions, and is treated as an energy weapon, but it can still malfunction and cause severe electromagnetic interference on a Natural 2. If enemies are using Blue Shield Particle Field Dampeners, Null Sig, Void Sig, Stealth Armor, Chameleon LPS, Deflector Shields (see Welcome to Nebula California) or the Energy Shield PowerUp (see the TacOps PowerUps April Fool's PDF), or is attached by a NARC pod, then it will instantly disable that system for 2d6 turns. If the target unit is carrying a Mobile HPG, then that system will be subject to receiving a critical hit, with catastrophic results.

The EU-13 Destabilizer produces 2d6 heat when fired in single shot mode, and an additional 1d6 heat when fired in double shot mode. Instead of rolling on the Cluster Hits table, it requires a second attack roll at a +1 Target Modifier. The EU-13 Destabilizer will also catastrophically malfunction if you attempt to fire it while a siphon pod is attached.

Alcubierre Missile: An extremely expensive weapon of mass destruction designed to travel from one star system to another, undetected until it is in sublight transit range. It is equipped with an Alcubierre Drive, an Epstein Drive, a Sub-Compact KF Drive, a Lithium Fusion battery, and a K-6 "Fax Machine" to send and receive telemetry and targeting data from listening posts and other Alcubierre Missiles. The payload of the Alcubierre Missile can be anything, usually specifically tailored for the target. One of the most common kamikaze payloads is to just use its KF Drive to telefrag both itself and the target, though.

Alcubuerre Missiles can also be configured to launch a payload, such as a "Fax Machine" surveillance satellite, or a separate nuclear or biological warhead, instead of just smacking into a target and exploding. This allows the missile to be reused for subsequent missions, greatly minimizing expenditure.

– – – – – – – – –

The Ice Missiles, Seeker Missiles, and anything with the word "Beam" attached are mercilessly stolen from Metroid, the Gravity Gun is stolen from Half-Life 2, and the EU-13 Destabilzer is stolen from Robotech RPG. The Alcubierre Missile is my own creation, and the Epstein Drive is a specialized Fusion Drive which consumes negligible fuel and can handle up to 7 G's of acceleration for about a week, thus accelerating the missile to 00.5 c. The closest real world counterpart to the Epstein Drive is the VASIMR engine.

If you have your own ideas for weapons that do not belong in BattleTech, or you would like to share your thoughts on mine, go nuts!
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.

Edited by AmaroqStarwind (05/01/18 02:55 AM)
Sam_van_Ratt
09/19/18 05:33 PM

Hi AmaroqStarwind
in "earth siege" there is (which is basically very physics canon weapon): the flux "cannon", nothing more than a high voltage shocker and produces small lightnings between the antennas (which is quite unrealistic to do damage to anything out of metall), BUT the lowvoltage+high current sounds great and welds parts together like a spot welder. Doesn't take as much energy as gauss or an industrial laser and welds pretty anything not as conductive as the weapon carrier.
a bit "Alcubierre Missile":
what puzzeld me when reading the BT books was Kerensky's and/or Comstars/Wolf Dragoons inability to destroy the SDS/Casper system (retaking Terra) with Lithium based Jumpships/warships simply jumping in system and sending an KillerWhale, WhiteShark or Barracuda in System with a simple search MAD warhead away and jump out of system, recharge, repeat. if the defender mines the jump points or wait there fully armed, well Terra has a lot of pirate points thanks to the high quality space maps. Might sound a bit mechanical (which it surely is) but very effective compared to deal with an enemy+SDS+Casper drones all at once, just because you are enraged.

Cheers
Sam

Edited by Sam_van_Ratt (09/19/18 05:35 PM)
FrabbyModerator
09/23/18 07:31 AM

@Sam: Have you checked the Sarna BattleTechWiki entry for the WoB Erinyes?
ghostrider
09/23/18 06:08 PM

Reflex cannons should never be in Battle Tech as well as the Death Stars main guns.
Photon Torpedoes, phasers, disruptors, even smart bullets should remain out of the game.
One of the things that came to mind, is people suggesting they put normal poison in dart guns instead of traquilizers.
Explosive tipped bullets are another, though infernos were in the game, as well as flamers. Both vehicle/mech and personal sized.

One thing about the invasion of Terra and the sds crap. ECM did not work on them. even though it sounded like they were controlled from a location quite a distance from the battlefields. And the fact no one knew about them makes me wonder.
I know why they did it, as it was to destroy the famous units from yesteryear, so the company didn't have to keep paying out royalties as they were popular enough to need to be in new books and such. Plus the issue with the Eridini Light Horse comes to mind. The company could not do certain things with it, as the person who owned the rights to them wouldn't allow it. They didn't even want to work with the person, so they just removed them. Or so goes the story I heard. Probably more to it, but not sure.

Cloaking devices are another thing that should never show up in the game. This may not qualify as a standard weapon, so may be out of place here.
It can be used to sneak in and attack the enemy in their beds, so may be considered a weapon.
Anti-grav drives. Such as the main tanks it TOG.
Which also leads to gravity field generators. This can be made to increase the gravity of units and even shots moving through the area to ground out. If strong enough, like a black hole strength, bend lasers as well.
Sam_van_Ratt
09/27/18 03:22 PM

Hello Frabby
yes i'm aware of the WoB Massdriver weapon, but even when this is some fire & forget weapon (... well you could counteract the effect, with a 90° acceleration as it's detected early...) it tooks time, while jump in system fire the weapon, hope the AI finds the target you intended it for and be rid of one more variable to deal with.

As mentioned: I just wondered why the Dragoons and/or Comstar with their big inventory did a straight head-on mission even when the first engagement already failed utterly (Mars...). It sounded to me (Terra was not explored for ten years WoB administration so a lot could happened in between... like Casper reactivation, SDS....) pretty hot headed.

Cheers
Sam
Sam_van_Ratt
09/27/18 03:45 PM

Hi ghostrider
well there are certain principals which works already (RealWorld), but only the energy storage and/or production is problematic (nowadays). Well it will change in 2021 by the Western Alliance ;-)

A few weapon designs are in BT already top notch (like Lasers or PPCs) and devastating. The PA(L) already has some camouflage build into and stealth armour makes detecting pretty hard, so few things are already integrated.
When I came first into contact with the BT universe I was very happy that traveling in space or between planets were carefully thought over (acceleration+deceleration). I'm not sure if more stranger weapons adds more fun to the game.
Cheers
Sam
ghostrider
09/27/18 07:26 PM

As stated in other threads, the Dragoons lack of using their talents properly, seems to have come from an effort to remove alot of the big names from the game, so royalties and creative rights could be avoided. There were a lot of big unit names that disappeared.

The issue I have had with the SDS, is that Comstar spies never found out they were even looking into restoring them, much less activating them. And added to this, building more items that were lost or failed from a lack of maintenance. I use Comstar, as they were better able to get spies into WOB, due to their knowledge of the tech.

There are more items that really have no place in the game, unless they want to move towards being closer in comparison to other game/concepts. Energy shields being one of them.

Also said previously in other threads, is the fact the games ranges aren't realistic for ballistics. Tanks in service today hit at ranges closer to 2 miles, not less the 1 kilometer. Which is about .6 of a mile roughly.
Lasers should have horizon ranges, though the power to do damage might be the issue.
As it is part of the balance, I dislike, but can see the naval weapons not engaging small targets. It almost sounds like they can't target them quick enough, but yet that isn't an issue with dropships.
The Achilles is a nice one to use, as the 8/12 speed verses most figthers barely making 6/9.
Speed to change an move out of the line of fire seems to be the reason for the fighters not being able to be targeted, but I guess this should be another thread.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6954

Contact Admins Sarna.net