advanced robotics

Pages: 1
ghostrider
10/14/18 11:51 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Has the developers come out with any rules or guidelines for dealing with automated facilities, other then the generic space borne factories, which sound like they are still worked by people.

The thought came up when discussing the ammo factories in the periphery, and the need, or lack thereof, for a large amount of people to run it.
I do understand mechs will never be self running units, as that means no pilots, but I could very well see pilotless shuttles, dropships and such. Basic non combat runs.
The clans should have a better system, especially with them not liking the lower classes even touching their weapons.
It would also remove alot of life support as well as the need for food and such from such facilities.

But this would also open the door for arguments for better control systems for war machines as well.

But I am more curious on weights, as well as what they would control, and to what effects. Costs would be another thing as well.
CrayModerator
10/14/18 03:04 PM

Quote:
Has the developers come out with any rules or guidelines for dealing with automated facilities, other then the generic space borne factories, which sound like they are still worked by people.

One of the Jihad Hotspots and Liberation of Terra covers Caspar drones and assorted drone fighters and DropShips in the SLDF's SDI system, which is repeated and expanded in Campaign or Interstellar Operations, I think.

It's not covered in the rules, but Caspar drones were supported by mostly-automated space ports and space stations.

Quote:

The clans should have a better system, especially with them not liking the lower classes even touching their weapons.

Quite the opposite. Technicians and laborers are expected to provide support roles on 'Mechs and other fighting machines. The Technician caste didn't get its name because it fixed DVRs in Warriors' quarters, they're maintenance technicians for the Warrior Caste. The Clans have almost nothing in the way of large, automated facilities.

Since they've notoriously suppressed non-essential economic activities (per Warriors of Kerensky Sourcebook), the Clans have a real problem with under-employment in the Laborer and Technician castes. They'll be inclined to throw lots of bodies at a problem before they consider robots.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Requiem
10/14/18 07:28 PM

And Wolfs Dragoon’s Hephaestus Station?

The station did contain an assembly and repair facility that was capable of rebuilding ‘Mechs (including the ARC-2W Archer) prior to its destruction in an ill-fated attempt to recapture it from the Draconis Combine.

It could also service their Dropships, aerospace fighters and support vehicles.

Thus this modular station also required a large compliment of technicians.

So was this the only one of its kind?

A modular Station such as this would assist the Clans in the future, and cut down in the time to create a factory for their military.

They would need to create a civilian city for all the workers, a terminal to transport the workers to space and back plus all the ancillary factories / forges on the surface of the planet to keep it operational – but the major plant within the station would be ready to go very quickly. (and it is relatively defensible in space - though the factory needs to broken into parts to enable it to be transported via Jumpship (long time to complete?))

Where were these during the Clan Invasion?
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
ghostrider
10/14/18 11:13 PM

I thought the tech caste was there to fix things other then weapons of war as well. Such as water purifiers, normal coms systems, as well as a slew of other things.
And thinking of which, the civilian jumpships and dropships are another aspect that isn't really war bound. We know the individual clans contacted the merchant caste to provide those ships before, during, and after the invasion.

And part of the issue I am having with this is the stupid video games, and their description of the factories the invasion of Huntress had.

One more thing about the labor force. Liking the techs, and having to deal with them in some aspects are a different story. The impression here is the warriors only put up with them working on their equipment is due to the fact it is beneath a warrior to do so. So unless they were portraited wrongly in the novels and such, this is the impression I got.
Requiem
10/17/18 08:44 PM

The impression I got from the Clans Technical individuals is that of from the the engineer to software designer – they research in conjunction with the scientists (when necessary) any new weapons / civilian products that require application and development and then building these new products with the assistance of the Labourers within their production factories.

That is once the Warrior Caste has signed off on the newly developed product – as providing assistance militarily or economically for the Clan as a whole.
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
ghostrider
10/18/18 12:04 AM

The implications suggests the clan military doesn't really care much about the civilians, as long as it does not impede on the weapons of war. So keeping them limited in wasteful things like individuals owning cars would be done. The resources to build and the pollution that would come from it, would interfere with the military's fights, so would not be tolerated. Mass transit would be in place to keep them moving to their work and home.

I can see having the masses doing low level repeat work would limit their power, but for the exacting things needed for their weapons, might not be something they want in the hands of those they consider inferior.
And yet, the novels didn't really portrait the non warriors as having alot of excess personnel doing things. The stories dealing with the scientist caste to tend the iron wombs being one of them. The one dealing with the scientist combining DNA that was not authorized seem to show that. No real security, nor even tons of people doing the work in the labs. I want to say Joanna in the Jade Falcons storyline is the basis for this.
Karagin
10/18/18 01:24 AM

Check the original Mechwarrior RPG book, it had robots in it.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
10/18/18 12:23 PM

A bit off the subject, but can external cargo containers be put on jumpships without causing issues to the jumps themselves?
The idea of robots being attached while the ships are jumping, to be released once in their target system where they will be used.
Not the fighters as discussed in another thread, but normal items. Hooked up to the power supply of the ship, they could at least be insulated, and heated to keep the contents from freezing. And no. This is not an attempt to add living quarters. Though it might be used for smuggling...

The Mechwarrior book does indeed have some in it. Security, as well as mining if I recall right.
The idea of remote control units would fit under this as well, though I was thinking more of independent action units, not drone types.
This does not mean they would do things beyond specific tasks, like a mining bot could not use a dropship to move itself to a new system. But ones that could do their jobs without much further input from users.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 100 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3266

Contact Admins Sarna.net