The Impossible Dream

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
CrayModerator
10/22/18 05:23 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Quote:
Had to check before saying it, but they changed ferrous fiber armor.

There was an expansion on ferro-fibrous armor starting in the MechWarrior Companion c2002, which is where the fibers-in-steel first showed up. Otherwise, the description of standard armor and ferro-fibrous hasn't changed since they were introduced in the 1980s.

Quote:
It does say the fiber armor has woven layers of ferrous steel and ferrous titanium.

"Ferrous titanium" doesn't really make sense, and I know a materials engineer has been involved in reviewing and writing BattleTech for the last 15-odd years. Where do you see the "ferrous titanium" in the armor? Somewhere in Sarna's wiki?
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
ghostrider
10/22/18 09:21 PM

Page 127 of the Battle Master Rules #1707, under Ferro-Fibrous Armor. It is copyright 1998 by FASA. So that would make sense if they changed it in 2002.

I agree that ferrous titanium doesn't make sense. If I know right, ferrous is used to describe a metal that can be picked up buy a normal magnet, such as Iron. I thought titanium was unresponsive to magnets in that fashion.

Utilizing a weave of ferro-steel, ferro-titanium, and diamond weave fibers which boosts the tensile strength of the plating[1][2
It is in the wiki. Wow.

Edited by ghostrider (10/22/18 09:23 PM)
CrayModerator
10/23/18 05:58 PM

Quote:
Page 127 of the Battle Master Rules #1707, under Ferro-Fibrous Armor. It is copyright 1998 by FASA. So that would make sense if they changed it in 2002.

Oh, yep, there it is. And it's repeated in the revised FanPro version of the BMR, p. 137.

Quote:
I agree that ferrous titanium doesn't make sense. If I know right, ferrous is used to describe a metal that can be picked up buy a normal magnet, such as Iron. I thought titanium was unresponsive to magnets in that fashion.

In metallurgy, "ferrous" usually refers to being an iron alloy and less so to ferromagnetic properties. Iron is usually an impurity in titanium alloys, though some beta titanium alloys use 0.1 to 2% iron. It wouldn't make metallurgical sense to call something "ferro-titanium" when it only has traces of the iron in it.

Titanium alloys in general are very overrated thanks to Hollywood. They're really in a middle ground between aluminum and steels, which is part of the reason they were probably yanked from ferro-fibrous's description.

Quote:
It is in the wiki. Wow.

Thanks for digging that up. Good references always help a discussion.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
10/27/18 01:13 PM

In the novel WolfPack they talk about foam-titanium alloy for the "bones" of some of the mechs, now this could be Endo-Steel, but again it could be something else altogether. I believe the page this is mentioned on is page 18 or 28 (ebook version).
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Karagin
10/27/18 01:14 PM

Also the original TRO3025 describes the Marauder's armor a lot like Ferro armor, so I think the ideas for how armor is shown varies form source to source and writer to writer...
Karagin

Karagin
10/27/18 01:17 PM

The titanium issue for the most part comes from how one piece of military hardware uses it, the A-10 Thunderbolt II aka the Warthog, is said to have a titanium armored cockpit so as to insure the survival of the pilot. The Chombham armor of the M1A2 SepV Abrams has titanium in it as well, so Hollywood and some writers hear this and then go from there.
Karagin

ghostrider
10/27/18 06:56 PM

Using zero-G manufacturing techniques that uniformly mix high-density steel with lower-density titanium and aluminum, the process produces a metal twice as strong per unit of weight as standard skeleton materials

Part of the endo steel description in the wiki.
Now is it just me, or should the endo steel take half damage, as it is supposed to be twice as strong the regular internal structure?
Or can carry twice the armor? Less likely to break?
It seems they missed something here.

Operational Raids #1665, page 170 in the Blackwell factory area under molding, says 'This equipment forms the core of the "bones" of the 'Mechs chasis. Foamed aluminum is forced into molds and hardened to be extremely rugged and strong.
So there is issues with the explanation of how the internals are made normally. Though it does say other materials are added to the structure.
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Extra information
1 registered and 168 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 9729

Contact Admins Sarna.net