New Battle Tech Box Sets

Pages: 1
Requiem
07/28/18 08:20 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Is it me or does the new beginners box with two Mechs (with a Griffin and Wolverine) and the Game of Armored Combat with eight ‘Mechs (Awesome, Battlemaster, Catapult, Commando, Locust, Shadow Hawk and Thunderbolt and Wolverine) seem to miss the mark in eliciting interest / desire to play for new converts to Battle Tech Universe?

As is not the aim of the box to ‘lock’ them into playing the game – thus they will then purchase more and more…

For me I would have thought for the Beginners Box you would have had two Omni-Mechs eg. Inner Sphere AV1-O Avatar Vs. Clan Shadow Cat (?)

Then include rules as to how you can personalize your Omni’s weapons – ie. get them hooked on remaking the weapons package and run a new game.

Thus play it over and over again …..

As you would think that just having two ‘Mechs with a single weapons package would get old fast for today’s consumers.

As for the Game of Armored Combat I would have put in 8 mechs (4 of which are Omnis); 8 vehicles; power armord infantry; and two aerospace fighters – with rules on how all of these units work together in combat. (I know this might get a little bit more expensive but if the models are injection moulded it shouldn’t be that much more)

And again with rules as how to customise your omni-mechs.

Each with a map + story

Thoughts?
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
Requiem
11/09/18 08:21 PM

Upon due consideration I believe the setting is completely wrong for the introductory box. Rather that attempting a beginners box back in 3025 this should have been set sometime either at the start of / or within the dark age (therefore mechs of this age should have been included).

My reasoning is that the ability to acquire new source materials books and hopefully novels of this time period would be easier for novice collector / game player now.

Thus with an interest in the here and now new novices may be willing to stick around and if they want to acquire the older, and more difficult to find (hence expensive), books they can begin to undertake this task if they have the time / money to do so.

As the main aim of the game is to revitalise the table-top game as well as all source materials / novellas etc., and not just leave it to the computer game only.

Your thoughts?
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
Karagin
11/09/18 11:25 PM

The box set is the basic start point, 3025 is the baseline tech for the game, not the dark age crap. The rule set in play is simple, and the system is setup to allow for new mechs, new tech, new rules to get the players to try new things. Having it set in the current time line for rules and mechs is good way to confuse and push players away.

3025 tech allows BOTH sides to have roughly the same tech and mechs without the need for special rules or over explaining the weapons and other special tech.

If you want over complex rules and tech, play WH40K.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
11/10/18 02:15 AM

The avatar and shadow cat are not mechs I would consider good for starters. Omnis are nice, but without some basic idea on how to play it, most would try to make units that are highly illegal, and get into arguments with any one that knows anything about the game.
The original had cardboard markers for mechs, so anything that isn't cardboard is a step up. It is sad they could not keep the other original mechs, but the law suit shut that down. They should have some more units in the game, as the 8 don't cover as much of the weapons as they could.
But then, I could see them not wanting to pay royalties for mechs like the panther, jenner, or even the atlas.

I do agree the time line of 3025 is probably the best for starting out. The dark age is more difficult to deal with, as the weapon packages are beyond what is needed to start. Not sure what is included in the rule set, but some things are beyond a new person. Mech mounted turrets, quads, tripods and such are good examples. Even the more advanced armors, like hardened or stealth.

Clan tech made the game much faster, as ranges and damage makes armor disappear quickly. Maybe too quickly. I don't think most new players will be bouncing around the map with high speed jets. So the normal ml should be ok.

If people are going to customize mechs, they will do so. Most want to change things that can't be done with omnis, so it is a little pointless. Speed, armor, even sinks and jets. Hard to remove the hard mounted items and keep the omni the same as the original. Most would want xl engines, so they can add more weapons and such, as heat and movement isn't something most will pay attention to. For the first game or two.
Karagin
11/10/18 11:48 AM

How would they pay royalties for mechs that they own? CGL owns the rights to the Panthers, Jenner and Atlas, it's the older mechs like the Phoenix Hawk and Wasp etc...that they are still in gray over.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 77 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3214

Contact Admins Sarna.net