omni pods

Pages: 1
ghostrider
11/25/18 12:10 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Had a few things come up in one of the posts and thought to get some discussion going on them.

The first being, should they be used on dropships?
I would be thought to extend to warships, but the weights of the weapons would be a little much. But dropships use the same weapons as mechs, vehicles and aerofighters. Granted, their bays can we heavy ones, especially the assault ships.
It would make dropships a little more dangerous, as you would not know what they had until they fired. And make it easier to do field repairs.

Next is the fact the pods don't weigh anything. Most would agree not to mess with this subject, as it would change every unit that uses them.
A few questions come up about if they are part of the internal structure of mechs, that can be removed and replaced? If nothing is in a section, does it need to have a pod there to support the area? Or does it leave a void? Armor attachments come to mind with this as well.

And is the pods standardized for all places on every unit that can use them? Or are there only specific ones to fit say a leg, or an arm? I know for keeping it simple, the games says they fit everywhere, but the amount of crits would suggest otherwise.
The single location in a normal head verses the completely open torso comes to mind. And a tank body? That can house more then a mechs torso in some cases.
ghostrider
11/25/18 12:17 PM

Another set of thoughts came up as well.
How much does it cost to have spare pods?
How much space do they take up when empty?
How much damage can they take to protect what is in them, if not mounted to a unit? Such as being prepared to be placed in a unit, but sitting on the shop floor, or in the field.
Or do they have any protection for things inside them?

It also makes me think optional rules may want to have things like pods glitches, and damaged mounts. Penalties for weapons fired or electronics being used in an area that has internals done, like maybe a 'special' critical. Add a little flavor to the game.

Hmm. They would have to protect the components thinking about it. The clan ones, at least, are case as well. That alone needs better materials then normal structure or armor.
Requiem
11/25/18 08:56 PM

First, Dropships – Assault Dropships yes pods should be used – swapping out a normal missile package for an Alamo missile package comes to mind.

Second – Mech and Vehicle pods should also be interchangeable allowing for a greater degree of standardisation and cost effectiveness. Aerospace / power armour on the other hand must have their own pods due to the unique engineering requirements of an aerospace fighter / power armour.
However the pods should be interchangeable with other fighter / armour designs made by the same manufacturer.

Third – when a pod is removed it will leave a void – armour is then used to cover the void with the same connectors a pod will use. I would also hope from an engineering standpoint that any pod could be utilised anywhere a space is available (as long as there are critical spots available to ensure they fit).

Fourth – Cost – Cost of the weapon + a nominal increase of the pod attachment / energy connectors (on a guess an extra 10% to 15% on top of the cost of the weapons package – unless there is a rule I have not read somewhere)

Fifth – Damage when external from the mech – something similar to power armour / elemental in armour before it becomes inoperable / destroyed.
For me I have always believed the pods would be stored upon a flat-bed truck that has a crane attached to it – thus allowing for easy extraction / integration of old / new pods out of / in to the mech etc. Thus if they are armoured would be up to the individual group / state that has them. Though from a strategic / cost point of view I would ensure they have armour protecting the valuable cargo just in case they end up in a fire zone.

Sixth – yes you could have to roll for your techs competence when taking out / inserting a new pod – the rare failure could result in a glitch.

And finally yes new construction rules / case rules could be considered due to new developments regarding case materials / designs.
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
ghostrider
11/30/18 12:12 PM

Another question came up with the discussion of ppcs and actuators in omnis.
All omni hand and lower actuators are pod mounted. Which I can accept.
But isn't the myomers part of that set up?
Like the unit should lose strength from them being removed.
And even with the hand pods there, they should be weakened, as the myomers wouldn't have much to attach to.
The possible explanation of the actuators being the main motive force for the hands does come to mind, but doesn't fit completely.

Another possible explanation may be the pods provide the attachments for the myomers. But this would mean better, stronger connections for the pods, so wouldn't that slow down replacement of them? More and better locking points to stand up to the abuse they would have to take.

And given the description of hard mounted jump jets, pod mounted ones just can't follow that description, unless in the torsos. And even then, it would mean open areas that shouldn't exist in an omni.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 134 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2656

Contact Admins Sarna.net