RE: The Gypsy Darner GD-TT, a 20-ton Infantry Transport / Air CAV V.T.O.L.

Pages: 1
l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
11/28/18 01:46 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Gypsy Darner GD-TT / Inner Sphere V.T.O.L.

20-Ton Air CAV / Troop Transport Gunship

Code:

BattleTech Vehicle Technical Readout
* CUSTOM WEAPON

Type/Model: Gypsy Darner GD-TT
Tech: Inner Sphere / 3050
Config: V.T.O.L.
Rules: Level 3, Standard design

Mass: 20 tons
Power Plant: 45 I.C.E.
Cruise Speed: 75.6 km/h
Maximum Speed: 118.8 km/h
Armor Type: Standard
Armament:
3 Machine Guns
1 TAG
1 Searchlight(Mounted)*
Manufacturer: (Unknown)
Communications System: (Unknown)
Targeting & Tracking System: (Unknown)

--------------------------------------------------------
Type/Model: Gypsy Darner GD-TT
Mass: 20 tons

Equipment: Items Mass
Int. Struct.: 12 pts Standard 0 2.00
Engine: 45 I.C.E. 0 2.00
Cruise MP: 7
Flank MP: 11
Heat Sinks: 0 Single 0 .00
Cockpit & Controls: 0 1.00
Crew: 2 Members 0 .00
Rotor Equipment: Dual Rotors 0 2.00
Turret Equipment: 0 .50
Sponson Turret Equipment: 0 .50
Armor Factor: 64 pts Standard 0 4.00

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Front: 2 16
Left / Right Sides: 2 12/12
Rear: 2 12
Rotor: 2 2
Chin Turret: 2 10

Weapons and Equipment Loc Heat Ammo Items Mass
1 Machine Gun ChinTur 0 100 2 1.00
1 Machine Gun Lf_Spon 0 1 .50
1 Machine Gun Rt_Spon 0 1 .50
1 TAG ChinTur 0 1 1.00
1 Searchlight(Mounted)* Body 0 1 .50
Infantry Bay Body 1 3.00
Fuel Bay Capacity Body 1 1.50
TOTALS: 0 8 20.00
Items & Tons Left: 1 .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 395,000 C-Bills
Battle Value 2: 232 (old BV = 93)
Cost per BV: 1,702.59
Weapon Value: 13 / 13 (Ratio = .06 / .06)
Damage Factors: SRDmg = 2; MRDmg = 0; LRDmg = 0
BattleForce2: MP: 7V, Armor/Structure: 0 / 3
Damage PB/M/L: 1/-/-, Overheat: 0
Class: VA; Point Value: 2
Specials: tran4, tag

Designer's Notes:

--- --- The model GD-TT Gypsy Darner is a 3050-era derivative of my original GD-T1 series of Gypsy Darner Troop Transport VTOLs. This one sports an Internal Combustion Engine and more ubiquitous equipment than the series it was derived from. (Notably the ICE power plant in place of the Fusion Engine) This unit serves as a Troop Transport and Air Cavalry VTOL Gunship in the Side by Side Dual Rotor configuration. Boasting a one and a half ton Fuel Bay to give it long legs, the unit's 45 Rated ICE Power Plant porpels it to an adequate 75.6 km/h cruising speed with a respectable top speed of around 118.8 km/h. Clad in a meager 4.00 tons of Standard Grade Armor, the GD-TT model Gypsy Darner is more of a hit and run combatant than a stand up fighter. This suits it's purposes just fine, however, as the Gypsy Darner is desgined primarily with the Air Cavalry role in mind, serving primarily as a Rapid Insertion and Vertical Envelopment Vehicle as well as a TAG spotter and flying MG nest for the infantry it delivers.

--- --- To this end, the Gypsy Darner is equipped with a TAG in it's Chin Turret and armed with a trio of Machine Guns, one in each turret, supplied by a half ton of ammunition. It's three ton Infantry Bay will bring two squads of Foot Infantry to the battlefield. The unit sports an Infantry Bay configured for rapid deployment, utilizing easily re-configured seats, armament racks, and overhead stowage compartments to ensure that personnel and their equipment are firmly secured throughout the air lift. This bay is defended by an armored bay door which slides back via manual or hydraulic actuation to allow each individual infantryman to embark simultaneously. The Sponson Mounted Machine Guns can be controlled either by the unit's own gunner or an infantryman serving as a door gunner via controls housed within the VTOLs Infantry Bay proper. These controls can also be rearranged, although with noticeably less liberty than the other components of the bay. These two elements combined allow the Gypsy Darner to land and deploy troops into a relatively hot LZ, providing them protection from incoming fire while the gunship or the soldiers within lay down suppressing fire of their own.

--- --- Of note as well is the Gypsy Darner's cockpit and crew arrangement. although split into Pilot and Gunner Roles, the crew of a Gypsy Darner are in fact interchangeable. Providing that both crew members are competent in the other one's roles, the Gypsy Darner's cockpit provides a complete set of controls for either role to each operator. This has made the Gypsy Darner an ideal general VTOL training and cross-training platform. Combined with it's robust armament, TAG support equipment, excellent infantry deployment capabilities, long-range, and (Thanks to it's ICE) highly economical price-tag, the Gypsy Darner rapidly became a favorite among Mercenary Units, Minor Powers and the Great Houses alike. The later Post-Jihad GD-T1 models would sport a larger Fusion Engine in lieu of the ICE and it's Fuel Bay, and trade the standard MGs for a trio of Light MGs; multiple variants of this GD-T1 model that would include an Incendiary, Cargo and Half MG / Half Flamer variety.
"Woad Raider, kill things today."
ghostrider
11/28/18 12:08 PM

A min/max type of thought comes to mind. You could save a little weight but putting the mgs all into the turret. Should have enough weight in there, and save the sponsons weight, allowing for something else.
Granted, that does start making it look more like alot of other units, so can see just that fact of not doing so.

Otherwise, if you run it like it says it is used for, it should work fine. Not meant for front line combat.
Karagin
11/28/18 01:51 PM

I say ditch the fuel bay, it's not needed, combat turns in the game are not long enough for fuel to matter. That's 1.50 tons you could put to armor or other use.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
12/18/18 07:09 AM

More of fluff element I know, but seeing as the Gypsy Darner is fluffed for long-range deployment it would still need to actually get to the fight, that's where the fuel bay comes in.

I didn't think it was right to fluff it out with a crazy long range and not devote tonnage to the fuel that makes possible. The original design of the Gypsy Darner used a Fusion Engine instead of an Internal Combustion Engine. So it's range was measured more in days than miles or hours, technically limited by pilot fatigue as opposed to lack of fuel.

Thus the one and a half tons allocated to the Fuel Bay mentioned in the fluff.
Karagin
12/18/18 08:27 AM

Battletech fusion engines on vehicles don't require fuel.
Karagin

Retry
12/21/18 07:51 PM

Combat vehicles are said to dedicate 10% of their mass of the engine to their fuel and ICE combat vehicles are said to have 1000km range. So for this one, you already have 200kg of fuel and are adding 1,500kg more, so your new range is going to be... 8500km. And 70 hours of flight time, based on its maximum velocity. This is definitely limited by pilot fatigue, so going for .5 tons of fuel (500kg) may be more reasonable, as a 3500km range certainly is no slouch and fits your description while actually leaving room for the pilot to actually make use of that impressive range.
Karagin
12/21/18 11:16 PM

And again the normal game fuel is NOT something that comes into play or need or worry. Also the weight is part of the engine for combat vehicles under the rules, now if you are using the asinine support vehicle rules to build a hybrid combat vehicle then I guess you can include a less then useful weight and space taking item.
Karagin

l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
12/24/18 12:41 AM

TL;DR - It's an ICE, the ton and half Fuel Bay is there so that a reason exists, with allocated tonnage and critical space, to account for the VTOLs absurd range; that being the ability to circumnavigate worlds, remain on station for long periods of time (off map, for hours maybe days.), and the ability to ferry multiple units to multiple sites (far away or not) on one tank of gas.

Which in hindsight I seem to have understated...

Full Reply:

I'd like to preface saying I appreciate the feedback. However, I feel we're missing each other's points.

I concede the fuel is calculated into the engine's mass. Ten percent or 0.20 tons for this 20-Ton VTOL. I was pointing out that his 0.20 tons in a Fusion Engine craft would give it practically (not literally) infinite range. So long as there was a fresh pilot, the VTOL could circumnavigate a whole planet on that 0.20 tons if it were a Fusion Engine.

The BattleTech Fusion Egnines (as I understand it anyway) are powered by hydrogen. circumnavigating an entire world on what is tantamount to freaking 0.20 Tons of Bottled Water is pretty damn good. However, while the Gypsy Darner does have a Fusion Engine variant, (It was in fact the original design,no less.) this variant of it uses an Internal Combustion Engine. Now I'll readily admit I'm not not too terribly familiar with ICEs in the BattleTech universe, but I am at least 99% sure that they aren't quite up to snuff with their Fusion counterparts.

The inclusion of the ton and a half Fuel Bay is to both represent and allocate tonnage to the ICE Gypsy Darner's ability to circumnavigate an entire world despite it lacking the Fusion power plant of it's progenitor. The idea being that the Gypsy Darner serves as a VTOL method of turning Foot Infantry into Mechanized Infantry. Providing transport, support weapons (the MGs) and in addition capitulating on the VTOL movement method to be used as an Air cavalry / Vertical Envelopment platform to facilitate and / or enhance a highly mobile and heavily Mechanized infantry element of any Combined Arms force that the Gypsy Darner is integrated into.

I didn't feel it right to just give the ICE version the same range and abilities as the Fusion one without "something" to account for the how' of it. Again, I'm really thankful for the feedback and love to see comments on my posts, it makes me better at design; I just wanted to be assured that we had an "apples to apples" understanding of what I was trying (and possibly failing spectacularly) to say. I wanted the Gypsy Darner to be lore-friendly and campaign friendly, as well as RPG friendly too boot.

Cheers!
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 152 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3222

Contact Admins Sarna.net