Jump Jets on ground vehicles

Pages: 1
Karagin
12/26/18 10:08 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Okay here is something, what are the thoughts on tanks (hover or wheeled or tracked) with jump jets on them?

Is a good thing or not?

Looking to see what folks think about this idea.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
12/26/18 10:49 PM

First off, what is your opinion of the Kanga hover jump tank? That should give you some idea on things.

I could go either way, depending on how the set up is.
Thinking only fusion engine tanks could have them, as the reason for mechs using them is the superheated airflow over the engine provides the thrust. That is IF they kept with that explanation.
I would see limited fuel usage for non fusion engines, but again. Would have to see the way it is set up.

I definitely could see a boosted jump set up with them, especially WIGE type units.

As for good or not... I think a limited set up might be helpful for vehicles, as some terrain is impassible to them. This would allow them to get round some of it. Things like a chasm with no bridge comes to mind.
But I could see those that think mechs are already hurting to vehicles, saying a vehicle jumping behind them, would remove the mechs 'superior' movement. Might teach them going in to kick a unit isn't the best idea.
And that leads to the question of if they can DFA or ram a mechs head.
But that is getting into specifics, if you go with it.

Seeing it in action might be the best way to decide this.
Karagin
12/27/18 12:20 AM

I am not taking sides, since I broached the topic...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Requiem
12/27/18 07:13 PM

Clay target shooting comes to mind …… cry, PULL ….. and remember to lead a target when shooting.

So how about a new target shooting event …. Clay tank shooting utilizing your Mech's weapons?
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
ghostrider
12/28/18 12:22 AM

The question could be something others could use to base their opinions off of, though it does seem like it was directed towards you.

I think it would be interesting to try.
Problem is, you would need new quirks/equipment to attempt it.
Better suspension being the first one that comes to mind (for landing without smashing the wheels/tracks).
Gyro for keeping it upright.
Hovers have the directional fans/fins, but the others would need something to steer it as well.

Though maybe as an option might work. Such as the jets for non jumping hot dropped mechs. Single use comes to mind.
Would you need a new skill to use it? Drive is for ground effect units. Pilot might be something needed, though I don't think WIGEs use it.

I can see some people screaming now, since dropping then from high orbit would destroy the reason for mechs for the initial invasion. Or maybe make them happy, since they could use the tanks to secure a landing zone, and avoid possibly sticking the mech into the ground.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 102 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2726

Contact Admins Sarna.net