[Giorgioverse] BT tokens/pawns; Digital Roll20 Tokens Commission Recommendations

Pages: 1
Giorgio76
12/29/18 10:02 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
As a future GM for an under development Mechwarrior/A Time of War RPG campaign (which I will call “Giorgioverse” as a placeholder for my BattleTech, MechWarrior RPG, Alpha Strike game, F2F, and Roll20 work in progress), I am looking for recommendations on any online resources where I can create “full-color, stand-up cardboard playing pieces” similar to those included with the “Classic BattleTech Boxed Set (2003, FanPro)”, in adding I will be commissioning digital tokens for use in the Roll20 VTT. As this will not be cheap, I need to be very careful in my commission requests.

A) I know there are more cardboard/paper tokens/pawns (I don’t know what to call them) on the way with the new BT box set arriving soon™ , yet I would like to print out some cardboard/paper 3025-3039 era mechs, vehicles, infantry, and buildings in the meantime. I already have those pawns/tokens that are available in previous box sets, Alpha Strike Lance Packs, BT Quick Start Rules PDF, and Alpha Strike Quick Start Rules PDF. What other online resources are available in addition to these to print these kinds of units?

B) If starting from an RPG viewpoint with a baseline background material of: MechWarrior The BattleTech RPG (FASA 1607), Mercenary’s Handbook (FASA 1616), TRO 3025 (FASA 8603), TRO 3026 (FASA 8606), House Kurita (FASA 1620), House Steiner (FASA 1621), House Liao (FASA 1624), House Marik (FASA 1622), House Davion (FASA 1623), and The Periphery (FASA 1629), what would you recommend as the Most Common ™ 20 BattleMech designs, and Most Common ™ 20 Vehicles/Infantry unit types, fielded by each of the Great Houses, Minor Houses, ComStar, Mercenary, and Pirates forces of the 3025 era?

I am aware of the Master Unit List, Sarna 3028-3050 Random Assignment & Rarity Tables, and (Unofficial) TRO 3028 resources, and will use them as a supplement to any responses I receive in this thread. I am conscious of the amount of work it takes to create such a list as requested above, yet as I need to pay for each digital token I commission, I have to be very selective in my requests. I also don’t expect one person to answer all the above, and I will be posting here also my own lists as I work on them over the next few months.

Thanks in advance for any responses!
ghostrider
12/30/18 03:09 AM

If you want multiples of the units you already have, I would suggest if you have a scanner, use it and print from there. Might need to glue paper to carboard, as most don't own a printer that can do cardboard.

For those not in the boxes like Reinforcements, you might be able to use some pics in the TRO and shrink them down to the size you need. Screen shots, then using photo/drawing program to edit out what you don't want might help.
There probably is some online set ups you can use, but I don't know of any.

As for the RPG, it is best to figure out what edition you are going to use.
The Battle Master Rules book had random units you could roll for, with different houses. Not sure if that is something that might help.

Pirate forces are more likely to have units that those nearby use, as they should be the main places they get them from, but merc units from all over turn pirate. So that might spice things up.
Giorgio76
01/09/19 05:42 PM

Quote:
As for the RPG, it is best to figure out what edition you are going to use.
The Battle Master Rules book had random units you could roll for, with different houses. Not sure if that is something that might help.

Will be using the current edition of the rules (Mechwarrior 4th Ed/A Time of War), with a lot of the campaign material from the 1st edition RPG as a baseline.

The BMR I find doesn't offer enought variety, I prefer the Sarna 3028-3050 Random Assignment & Rarity Tables, supplemented with MUL era tables.

In another thread Douglas Akin recommended (paraphrasing a bit) the following, which I think is a solid list.

General:
Archer
Atlas
Battlemaster
Crusader
Griffin
Hunchback
Locust
Marauder
Phoenix Hawk
Rifleman
Shadow Hawk
Stalker
Thunderbolt
Warhammer
Wolverine

House Davion: Enforcer
House Kurita: Dragon
House Steiner: Zeus
House Liao: Vindicator
House Marik: Hermes II

I am looking for other viewpoints, from those familiar with the 3025era mechs and their distributions among the military forces of that timeframe.
ghostrider
01/09/19 11:33 PM

The Stinger and Wasp light mechs were used by all houses.
Following the information about house Marik, the FWL did not have many assault mechs, due to their industry base being geared for lighter units. Granted, that came out after city tech if I remember right, so that might not be in the one set of tables. The Spider was one of the FWL light mechs produced, but again. Alot of this was in later books.
So what is needed is knowing if you want units based on when they were released, or the canon versions after the fact, is what you will need to research.
The Valkyrie mech is a Davion built mech that was supposedly out for a while.
The Urbanmech is supposed to be a main stay of the Capellans.
The Lyran commando was supposed to be around since the Star League times, yet not in the list.
So simply using the original battletech mechs, which most are now call unseen mechs due to a lawsuit from robotech makers, and those in citytech, would be easiest to go with.
Otherwise, there is a lot of reading TRO's and such to find out when things were built, then decide what was available during the 3025.

I forgot the Jenner and Panther mechs for Kurita.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 96 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3083

Contact Admins Sarna.net