New Avalon 3150 (Spoiler Alert from Shattered Fortress)

Pages: 1
Requiem
11/13/18 09:29 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Ever since the 2016 quote regarding the Federated Sun’s ‘Government in Exile,’ provided the supposition was that New Avalon has fallen to the DCMS.

Now with Shattered fortress this has been confirmed, together with the DCMS ongoing vandalism / destruction of anything that relates to the Federate Suns Culture / historical importance.

We know that if it wasn’t due to the Massacre in the First Succession War the DCMS could have invaded New Avalon - so it looks as though (despite the logistical issues and retaliatory strikes by AFFS ) the DCMS have accomplished the capture of the Capitol of the Federated Suns.

(on a side note now we will have to sit back for almost a year before the second instalment of Shattered Fortress comes out before we will know the fate of New Avalon – or it could even be longer than that given the time it takes to establish a new technical book)

My question however is regarding everyone’s opinion regarding the fall of New Avalon and what will the AFFS do next, your thoughts?

Could the writers finally destroy a Succession State in that of the Federated Suns, especially since they have destroyed 20% of the AFFS upon one world through orbital bombardment?
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
happyguy49
11/18/18 06:11 AM

The writers essentially 'destroyed' the Free Worlds League after the Jihad, but it sorta got put back together again later I guess? Which is indeed a thing that happens in history, as nation states evolve, devolve, suffer invasions, civil wars, secession and succession crises, and so forth. I guess it's the Suns turn for that.

Culturally the Suns and the DC are so different that a long term occupation of Suns worlds would be unworkable without large scale population extermination and replacement.

What could the AFFS do? If they are now too weak to directly confront the DCMS, were I boss man of AFFS, I'd probably try to create as many quagmires for the Combine as possible and bleed them. Every occupied FedSuns world should be made ungovernable, and raid the heck out of the entirety of Combine space using empty systems or deep-space to travel. Slow down the DCMS by crippling as many of their transport jumpships as you can find.

That FUBAR clusterphuck on Palmyra really does show the power of PWS! So, use that against the Combine. Raid worlds and do significant destruction without the messy business of dropping and retrieving troops, or even entering atmosphere. FedSuns should make some fast bombardment-specific assault dropships and mercilessly raid every DC world that doesn't have rock-solid aerospace defense.

Make up a PWS design that is nothing but SCL-3's in one bombardment arc (nose?), with all-around anti-fighter/anti-missile defenses.
Requiem
11/18/18 06:16 AM

This sounds like a workable plan for the future of the Federated Suns.

Though sooner or later the AFFS must take back New Avalon - the questions are when and how and which units?
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
ghostrider
11/18/18 10:55 PM

Done right, the raids would bleed all supplies dry going to New Avalon from the DC. Once you have them hurting, then you use their bombardment tactics against the DC troops. Which units becomes kind of moot at that point.
When is the question. How many warships does/can the FS make to defeat the DC's?

But this does show some issues with the story line. They seem to be abandoning not using orbital bombardments, though the excuse could be it was against a military target. Which I doubt all the units were on a base, and not in civilian cities.
They did this with nukes during the jihad.
Guessing throwing what they can at the wall and seeing what sticks is coming around. Then again, I don't know if I could come up with something new to stir things up.
Requiem
11/19/18 06:29 PM

Once orbital bombardment has been utilized into the game you will not be able to stop them from being used during all major invasions.

Thereafter Mech units will be utilized as a mop up unit only.

Though how the DC can maintain a logistical / military channel from their border with the FS and the world of New Avalon completely eludes me - another game developer fiat? after 20% of the AFFS are placed on one world and are destroyed by orbital bombardment - and this makes tactical sense how?

can I groan now as this story continues?
csadn
11/21/18 01:25 AM

Looks as tho' the PC Gestapo finally got their way, between this and what's happened to the Lyrans....
CF

Oregon: The "Outworlds Alliance" of the United States of America
Requiem
11/21/18 06:55 PM

I am in agreement the story arc has somewhat deviated from what should be considered reality .... the Lyran's loss of an archon ... when she should have been in a command and control bunker how many kilometres below the surface and behind how many vault doors to keep the radiation out ... where not even fresh oxygen should have been available (ie. processing their own) .... so how an elemental got to her is beyond reason.

Then we have the logistics and supply difficulties with regards to attacking and holding New Avalon coupled with the decision of killing off 20% of the AFFS via an orbital bombardment .... sorry but this dog don't hunt!

It can only be the Fiat of the developers upon an unrealistic story arc.
ghostrider
11/21/18 08:25 PM

Hold on a second.
It could be Luthien is about to be smashed by a comet or maybe a derelict warship. Maybe the Prefects all rebel at the same time. And about then I hit the lottery.
Yeah. That's it. A Kurita spy made it into the coms network and gave out intel on the DC's enemies, so they could conquer the IS.

The slow destruction of the CC, and the chaotic nature of the FWL, has basically made them minor players in the game. Yeah, the FWL has a large army, but not enough focus to be like the FS/LC/DC so to speak. Though they did distract the CC, so the FS could slowly destroy them.
They may well be setting up for the complete splintering so they could really set up more wars, and such.
Then again, they may be trying for the merc's paradise. Work for this faction today, and get paid to work for their enemy tomorrow, while taking their last shipment of military gear. It does seem like few will play house units, so really. Why not run the mercs dream?

But one arc may be what they are trying to exploit. The FS was always considered the best tacticians of the IS. This would force them to rely on that instead of numbers, like the Alliance/Commonwealth.
And the idea of a renewed clan attack is possible, but like some arcs, not are realistic as it could be.
Porshadoxus
03/12/19 02:17 PM

The situation sounds like the Gray Death Legion on Verthandi, just macro scale. To paraphrase happyguy49, create as much chaos as possible throughout any occupation zone, forcing the cost of occupation to rise to untenable levels. The DC would be forced to scale back.
You, you and you- panic. Everyone else follow me.
ghostrider
03/12/19 02:47 PM

There is a potential problem with that.
Having all planets in the occupied zone rebel, may well have the dc just start killing anyone that was on the world when they invaded, and ship in their own people.
But as stated before, the loss of that many troops to being stupid and having them all stage off one world, without major warship support is beyond bs.
Did the davion line produce leaders that couldn't use tactics or common sense?

Depending on the worlds taken by the combine, the FS didn't have their major ship production in the draconis march. Kathil and Galax were the main ones, though this is based on old information. That may be the saving grace if the FS does stage a successful comeback.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 107 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4609

Contact Admins Sarna.net