Neural Feedback

Pages: 1
Karagin
03/14/19 07:44 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
How much neural do MechWarriors experience when their mechs take damage?

For example, how much is felt if an arm is taken out or a weapon system is lost vs armor damage? How sever is the feedback from systems damage is what I am asking or does the neural helmet filter this out?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
CrayModerator
03/17/19 11:47 AM

Quote:
How much neural do MechWarriors experience when their mechs take damage?

For example, how much is felt if an arm is taken out or a weapon system is lost vs armor damage? How sever is the feedback from systems damage is what I am asking or does the neural helmet filter this out?

Do you have a way of measuring "neural feedback" that you'd like to use for this discussion?

As it is, there are only a handful of cases in the rules where MechWarriors are injured by feedback through neural helmets, like an ammo explosion (neural feedback: 2 hits). If you'd like to into roleplaying aspects of neural feedback that is not measured by pilot damage then you'd have to describe how to measure it.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
ghostrider
03/17/19 06:43 PM

They do say the pilot can feel things like losing the arm, but more due to a weight shift them pain.
Though it is said the mech becomes an extension of the body.

I would think it would be more of a discomfort then actual pain when that happens.
The ammo explosion might well be from overloading the circuits, causing the 'hits' to the pilot. Not from an actual feeling of pain.

But if you wanted to us some sort of feeling with the game, you might want to do thresh holds like x amount of points causes a roll for negative results. Save with body or the stats that are used in the newer versions.
Getting fancy, I would think PPC hits would hurt more then even an ac 20 or gauss rifle shot. Electric feed back being the basis for it.

Do you think the feedback is more like the tires on a car giving as you go around a corner to fast? Or something like feeling the rubber scrape off like it is skin?
Karagin
03/17/19 09:18 PM

Like psycho-sematic pain kind of thing.
Karagin

Karagin
12/18/19 12:02 AM

Bouncing this back again. As I said before, I am looking for ideas for this.
Karagin

Requiem
12/18/19 01:45 AM

Neural Feedback – Suggested House Rule

The older the tech the greater the neural feedback suffered by the pilot – thus with newer technology the neural feedback decreases. It is up to you to determine when these changes apply and the piloting rolls required due to the damage sustained.

As to what it looks / feels like – may I suggest a spectrum - from incredible pain for the older designs (like being hit with a taser gun) where if you loose you ‘Mech arm you also loose the ability to move your own for a short duration of time (and possible blackout) too up to the 3150 model where there is only a mild shock.

Just Beta Test again and again until you get a reasonable result.
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
Karagin
12/18/19 02:44 AM

Kind of where I am at, still not getting what I want from it, more of the idea that the mech is moving, so the pilot takes feedback when some goes wrong from that, so the dreaded piloting roll, add in things like ammo cooking off or a weapon like a Gauss goes off, but yet nothing happens from internal hits unless the other thresholds are broken and to me, that is something that should not be so, an internal hit would be sending all kinds of feedback to the pilot since major systems are being ripped apart, etc...
Karagin

Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 188 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3013

Contact Admins Sarna.net