So, here's something that happened.

Pages: 1
l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
04/20/19 01:24 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I was building in Heavy Metal, and realized I have quite a few designs by now; some boondoggles, some serious, and some that are really interesting. Some are posted here, most are not.

So, it got me to thinking; how many 'Mechs are in a typical TRO? I know they go by year and all, but at this point I think I might have enough to compile a genuine fan-made TRO.

I'll probably do some digging myself, as I do now own some of the TROs, but I was curious as well as to what anyone here thought of the proposal? I think making a fan TRO would be cool! No, I don't want to put it on Sarna, that'd be confusing as Sarna is for ACTUAL BattleTech stuff.

So, any thoughts? And also, if I did make a fan TRO, where could I post it on the Forums? Would it go under the Designs sub-forum? My TRO would go by company, and might actually be called something like "Company Catalog: MiliTech" or some other nonsense.
"Woad Raider, kill things today."

Edited by l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ (04/20/19 01:26 AM)
ghostrider
04/20/19 07:40 PM

It would be interesting to see a few of them, but not sure how the company would respond to it.

As for mechs, I want to say about 20 per TRO, but that was just after the clan invasion. The IS had new units, as well as refitted, while the clans had omnis in all weights. So 3050 to the Jihad seemed to have more.

The question of if you are going to do just your units, or allow others to add to it.

But before you go much further, find out copyright laws and such. You could very well set yourself up for a lawsuit.
I would almost guarantee it if you charged for it. So find out what it takes.
l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
04/20/19 08:39 PM

Oh I have no intention of marketing this... at all. Just putting it on the forums here. It'd be no more of a Copyright issue than anything else here; as it would effectively be a .txt with lot's of designs in it from HMP. :P
"Woad Raider, kill things today."
Karagin
04/21/19 12:04 AM

Quote:
It would be interesting to see a few of them, but not sure how the company would respond to it.

Fan made TROs can be found on the Internet, here are a coupl of links:

http://ourbattletech.com/obt-downloads/TRO3063_PQ5.pdf

https://www.ourbattletech.com/downloads/

https://www.ourbattletech.com/obt-downloads/Fanbook_05_Technical_Readout_2800.pdf

And a quick Google will lead you others that are out there. As long as these are not being charged for and have the copyright info listed and they acknowledged CGL etc..then all is fine.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.

Edited by Karagin (04/21/19 12:06 AM)
CrayModerator
04/21/19 12:27 PM

Quote:
So, any thoughts? And also, if I did make a fan TRO, where could I post it on the Forums? Would it go under the Designs sub-forum? My TRO would go by company, and might actually be called something like "Company Catalog: MiliTech" or some other nonsense.

The Designs forum is a good place for it. If you kept the Subject lines consistent then they'd be easy to search.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Carns
04/22/19 01:18 PM

Hey, you can't promise a fan made TRO and show up with a .txt

Most of the Fan TROs look professional quality and are usually more "factual" than the current line of retcon mess produced by the corpse abusers.
Wick
05/14/19 08:34 PM

I think a "TRO:Refits" would make for a nice concept. Take a handful of realistic refits from several different periods of time, covering multiple different factions, and there you have it. Some ideas include:
- Age of War: Lyran-Draconis War of 2407 (vehicles only of course)
- Star League: salvaged Periphery refits of early Star League equipment circa 2620
- Exodus/Clan: More Pentagon Power refits of late Star League 'mechs and tanks and perhaps some early Clan refits (prior to Omnimechs entering the scene)
- Succession Wars: AFFS refits of captured CCAF 'mechs during the 4th war (one of my personal favorites is an UrbanMech that drops the AC/10 for a quartet of SRM4s)
- Succession Wars: FWLM/Andurien-specific refits during the secession crisis of the 3030s
- Succession Wars: Rasalhaugian refits during that short window between 3034 and 3050
- Jihad/Republic: Snow Raven refits of Outworlds Alliance units as they were beginning to merge in the 3070s and 3080s (mostly aerospace, but maybe something like the Bombardier or Merlin 'mech as well)

Something like that would cover practically all time periods, most major factions to some degree, and not just 'mechs but combat vehicles and aerospace as well. And since they're all explicitly rare refits (or perhaps in a few cases, unique) it doesn't retcon anything by introducing brand new units into past periods (as too many of the canon TROs already do.) You also don't have to draw any new art (though perhaps some modification would be in order.)
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 92 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2609

Contact Admins Sarna.net