[Seeking] MW4 MekTekPack

Pages: 1
Darrious_Quinn
04/17/18 03:34 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Good Day Mechwarriors.

I recall from years past that Mektek had created a massive mod for MechWarrior 4. I was able to use it fine up to 2011ish but I have since rebuilt my computer twice, upgraded my OS for each rebuild and have only recently rediscovered my original MW4 disks with IS/Clan expansion disks.
The MekTek pack I used is long since gone and when I investigate the Mektek site, I see no signs of the mod pack.

Is it still out there somewhere or is it just another mod that has evaporated into the great internet void of time and space?

Thanks in advance for any help you all can offer.
AmaroqStarwind
04/17/18 03:51 PM

It is now illegal to distribute the mod. The only advice I can give you is to keep looking.

I don't even have it myself...
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
Darrious_Quinn
04/17/18 06:07 PM

Ah that is unfortunate, but good to know, thank you for the heads up.
l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
05/15/18 01:19 AM

I have one.
"Woad Raider, kill things today."
l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
05/15/18 01:23 AM

Hold on, I'll have an upload link soon.
l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
05/15/18 01:24 AM

Oh wait, is it really illegal!? Welp, never mind then. I thought it was still freeware. Sorry bro, I don't do the piracy.
l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
05/15/18 01:27 AM

Huh, well OP has an original copy of the game. The MOD is Smith and Tinkers IP, the GAME is Microsofts IP. I'll post the mod only here, and if the moderators swoop down and take it d own, that's fine. Or if they swoop down beforehand, that's fine too. Mebbe I'll PM them first. It's late where I am and the Misses is waiting. G'night.
choibaisunwin
06/03/19 04:29 AM

Ah that is unfortunate, but good to know, thank you for the heads up.
gamebaisunwin
Pht
08/15/22 06:52 PM

... IIRC the mt mod is *not* smith and tinker's ip and all that.

I'll just say that if you think MT's mekpak mod that took the protection out of the game was done and M$ had no part in it ... uh ... the IRS is your best friend ever and they want to sell you a bridge in brooklyn really cheap.

If you want to badger someone about loosening up the restrictions on mw4, I suspect PGI are the ones to go ask, for whatever that'd be worth.

Edited by Pht (08/15/22 06:55 PM)
R0AHN
07/12/23 03:04 PM

Heya, the distribution for the MekTek pack was discontinued a while back. Currently there is no legal distro for any of the MW4 games and older.

Rights to the MekTek release were cleared in April 2010 and continued until 2013 when that site originally shut down. After that point there hasn't been a legal distro since. That release never gave any rights for the MW IP but was instead limited to distribution of the game as per Microsoft/Microsoft Game Studios. It did bundle in fan-addons like Battle Armor and maps that were technically unlicensed but the IP owners never did anything about (my guess is these would have fallen under Fair Use anyways and a good IP owner doesn't begrudge fans improving their products).

MW4 Vengeance, Black Knight, and Mercenaries are all currently abandonware so technically not legal to redistribute but is no longer being sold. The disc DRM used doesn't work Windows post-Vista so the only way to play on a modern system is unfortunately a cracked copy. If you have a physical copy there's a legal grey zone there but if you don't, there's only abandonware copies you can find.

The MekTek site is back up as of December 2019 but as far as I know there's no path they have now for a re-release. They do have an active Discord server but is mainly limited to discussions on 3D prints, MekMatch (which surprisingly is still up!), and general BT/MW.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5911

Contact Admins Sarna.net