Strange Dice...

Pages: 1
damourc
11/10/01 03:09 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hey All,
I am finally getting around to writing about the strangest dang game that I have ever had. About a month and a half/two months ago I was playing a game via chat for a campaign with my merc unit. The scenario was that my unit was raiding Roadside and fighting a trial of possession for some supplies that were stockpiled on that planet. Further, my opponent had agreed to fight sequentially against one of my pilots who is a former Jade Falcon and would like to convince them to reclaim him. After he was defeated, we would "pair off" and fight individual duels. Whichever side had a mech or mechs left standing at the end was the winner. At least, that was the plan.

OK, so it began with my guy in a Timber Wolf (Mad Cat) S facing off against a Timber Wolf (Mad Cat) A. First bound of the battle he walks on the board and I jump to a heavy woods. We are 22 hexes apart. His two ER PPCs miss and I hit him with the LPL, in the head...and I roll a 12 for crits! That was easy, too bad that I can not capture the pilot, he was a 0/1.

On to the next battle against a Stormcrow (Ryoken) A. I maneuver towards him taking light damage from his LRM 20. When I get to range 8 I let loose with the SRM 6 racks missing with three of the four but hiting him with the LPL and 2 MPLs. I only did armor damage except one of the SRMs was a center torso (possible crit) and I proceeded to roll three crits, all engine. Two down.

My next opponent was a Hellbringer (Loki) B. We started close to each other and he peppered me pretty good, his Gauss Rifle almost ripping off my right arm but doing no crits. I returned the favor with the six racks and MPLs. He flubbed his pilot roll, fell on his back and proceeded to knock his own engine out doing three crits to himself.

The fourth mech in the enemy star was a Mad Dog (Vulture) Prime. My LPL was a left torso possible crit. I did one crit and hit the LRM ammo. He proceeded to go unconscious, fall on his right side, did a crit to himself and finished off his engine.

The last opponent was also a Mad Dog (Vulture) Prime. We basically charged at each other and I don't recall hiting anything but his center torso. I never got a crit but his torso was cored. My guy was standing there with two internals on his left leg, seven on the right leg, RT/RA gone, LA with one point of armor, LT with four internals and CT with two internals. No hits to my head or back.

Both Tom and I were utterly amazed. We decided to keep the results of that battle for campaign purposes but do the fight over again because we both wanted to play and we had only taken about a half an hour. So we start over and his Timber Wolf hits me with both PPCs, each in the head! After that, someone must have shutdown the improbability drive and things setteled down to "normal" rolls. I still won the battle but it sure was a LOT closer!

Thanks for your time and attention,
Chris Damour

damourc
11/10/01 03:34 PM

Yeah, it is funny that you remember the strange games forever. Circa '84 or '85 my college roommate and I were playing a game with our own designs. Mine was a 100 ton 3/5/3 that I called the Bolo and his was a 45 or 50 tonner that he called a Ranger. I think that it was a 5/8/5. At the end of the battle, I had removed EVERY DANG POINT of armor he had (including his head), without getting a single internal. He killed my mech by hitting it in the head with a LL twice. <<sigh>> C'est la guerre!
Chris

Deathshadow
11/12/01 05:11 PM

Reminds me of a fight I wasn't taking seriously at all, where I took a Men Shen against a Dire Wolf. First round I fired both LB-2X's, hit with one for two points. First point when CT, single crit Gyro. Second point went to head. He failed piloting, fell with damage to CT(crit), single crit to gyro.

... I told you not to men-shen that.

Armor? Bah, that's for wussies. - Anonymous Locust-1M Pilot
Kept my cool under lock and key,
and I never shed a tear,
another sign of my condidtion.
damourc
11/27/01 07:30 PM

Nah... I had already used up all of my luck and built up one heck of a karma debt. (Which hopefully I have paid in my last game. In one round I had five shots needing a 5+ to hit and I missed with all of them!)
Chris
damourc
12/02/01 03:49 PM

"OK, so it began with my guy in a Timber Wolf (Mad Cat) S facing off against a Timber Wolf (Mad Cat) A. First bound of the battle he walks on the board and I jump to a heavy woods. We are 22 hexes apart. His two ER PPCs miss and I hit him with the LPL, in the head...and I roll a 12 for crits! That was easy, too bad that I can not capture the pilot, he was a 0/1."

Whoops! Typo in the paragraph above, should be 20 hexes.
Chris
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 79 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3378

Contact Admins Sarna.net