Maximum Speed: 54.0 kph
Armour: Maximilian 45
Armament:
2 Blakenburg Technologies ER Large Lasers
2 Intek Medium Pulse Lasers
2 Holly LRM-15 Packs
1 Linblad AMS
Communications System: O/P COMNET 210A with C3i Computer
Targeting and Tracking System: Garret A99 with C3i Computer and Artemis IV FCS Interface
Primary Manufacturer: WoB Upgrade Packages
Primary Factory: Terra

OVERVIEW

The Grand Crusader, standard-issue assault 'Mech of the Word of Blake’s Militia, is much beloved by commanders because of its Blakist origins, but is reviled by its pilots because of several design flaws. Pilots complained of poor accuracy at range even with the Artemis IV FCS of the LRMs, and cited the poor ranges of its primary weapons-the Large Pulse Lasers mounted in the 'Mech’s arms. They also complained about the fact that the 'Mech could not employ any more than a third of its weapons at any one time because the 'Mech’s coolant circuit was so woefully inefficient. Finnaly, they complained that the 'Mech’s low speed and XL engine, plus the large amount of ammunition in the 'Mech’s torsos made the Grand Crusader a walking nuclear firestorm looking for a place to happen. The WoB High Command has recently begun fielding an Upgrade package that addresses these concerns, using the addition of C3 capability as a guise.

CAPABILITIES

The fist this pilots note about their new GRN-D-03 Grand Crusader is the fact that it now has a standard engine. Technicians claim this is simply because the 'Mech’s old XL engine did not have enough EM shielding to protect its new C3i computer, but it was in fact replaced to give the 'Mech a much greater chance of survival. The shoulder-mounted LRM packs were downgraded to 15-Packs; the official reason being that the integral targeting equipment of the LRM-15s better interfaced with the new C3 computer. Again, however, this is a falsehood; the LRM-15s were employed to lower heat output and give the pilot more options as a enemy closed. The AMS ammo in the centre torso, long a sore point for Grand Crusader pilots, has been evenly distributed amongst the side torsos. The weight needed to employ a Standard engine was taken from the downgrading of the Large Pulse Lasers in the arms; pilots now have Blakenburg Technologies ER Large Lasers riding sidecar with the original Intek Medium Pulse Lasers mounted in the 'Mech’s arms. These weapons are a significant improvement over the old Tronel Pulse Lasers; though they do slightly less damage than their counterparts, and produce more heat, they also have almost three times the range of the Pulse variants they have replaced. Pilots are pleased with this; they now no longer have to close up to their opponents to employ their primary weapons systems. Finally, the field kit places CASE in each torso, a direct response to pleas by the Grand Crusader’s pilots. Unfortunately, however, the 'Mech still suffers from a lacklustre coolant circuit; although 3 Double Heat Sinks are added to the frame, this is barely enough to control the heat output of the ER Large Lasers. However, even this small addition is a major improvement over the original.

DEPLOYMENT

The 1st Division is receiving the lion’s share of upgrade packages; 75% of its Grand Crusaders have been retrofitted. The Fifth Division, stationed in Australia, has been given the next-largest concentration; units currently under suspicion, such as the 10th Division, have not received any upgrade packages, nor are they slated to do so in the near future.

MY BLURB

If it looks like a Mauler, packs almost the same weapons as a Mauler, and overheats like a Mauler, it’s probably a GRN-D-03 Grand Crusader. Ah well. Even considering the limitations of this beastie, this upgrade kit is quite OK. The LRM downsizing was a bit of a necessity; I wanted ER Larges in the arms, but unless I wanted to remove the Mediums entirely, and have reduced ammo loads, I had to take them down a few sizes; that was a neccessity given the fact that I wanted to mount CASE. I also moved the AMS ammo out of the Centre Torso (people who mount volatile ammo in the CT should be *SHOT*) and stuck the C3i in there instead. I did toy with stripping the AMS out and adding more Heat Sinks, but in the end found the AMS too useful. Overall firepower saw a huge slump in form, but a wiley pilot will know how to combine fire for best effect. One of my friends (a WoB nut) told me this was useless and challenged me in the old GRN-D-01 Grand Crusader to prove it. The wheels fell off his hypothesis when my Grand Crusader’s ER Large Lasers and LRMs combined at long range to cause two engine hits, limiting him to the Medium Pulse Lasers unless he wanted to overheat it. He demanded a rematch; that time, I used the ER Larges and Medium Pulses on him as he closed, detonating LRM ammo left, right, and centre. Seeing as he had no CASE….well, I think you get the point. A third try at it resulted in my Grand Crusader killing him in the first turn as a lucky ER Large Laser shot went internal on his CT and blew out his AMS ammo…both tons of it. Critical Hits as a result of said explosion destroyed both his Engine and Gyro. At that point, he was forced to concede that the original was crud and this one was better. He then appropriated the record sheet and wandered off, mumbing something about giving the Pillager C3….I dread to think what the results of *THAT* little experiment will yield…..

MASS BREAKDOWNS

Engine: 11.5
Gyro: 3
Cockpit: 3
Endo Steel: 4
Armour: 15.5
3 Double Heat Sinks: 3
2 CASE: 1
C3i: 2.5
2 ER Large Lasers: 5
2 LRM-15s with Artemis IV and 2 tons ammo each: 20
2 Medium Pulse Lasers: 4

ARMOUR ALLOCATIONS

Same as GRN-D-01 Grand Crusader.

LOCATIONS

1 ER Large Laser, 1 Medium Pulse Laser, 1 Double Heat Sink- Each Arm
1 LRM-15, 1 Artemis IV, 1 Double Heat Sink, 2 Tons LRM Ammo, 1 Ton AMS Ammo, CASE- Each Torso
1 AMS- Head
1 C3i Computer- Centre Torso

BV: 1,479 (as opposed to the original’s 1,197 and at 9,804,600 C-Bills, considerably cheaper than the original’s 15,550,200 C-Bills. Funny how these things work out, huh?)

Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
SoyBigHead
11/25/01 05:39 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
the WoBBlies have a militia? thats new...
"There are three types of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."
-Mark Twain
Nightward
11/25/01 09:09 PM

Yeah. that's what the Wobblies call their 'Com Guards'. The Word of Blake Militia.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Karagin
01/27/07 12:56 AM

Nice rework.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 153 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4775

Contact Admins Sarna.net