Armor Type: Starshield Special Standard
Armament:
1 Falcon Lasers ER Medium Laser
1 Light Crossbow LRM 10
Manufacturer: Kornilov-Santini Enterprises
Communications System: TransComm 12
Targeting & Tracking System: TransComm WDS40A

==Overview:==
The Hasta is a light ground vehicle seen mostly as a garrison unit for core worlds of FedCom and Capllean space. Typical duties include reconnaissance, population control (a role that is has long be used for in Capllean space), and rear area security.

The Hasta often supports other units when and if it sees combat. Introduced in 2980, the Hasta was first used to supress large scale riots on several Capllean planets. Since then the Hasta has become one of the most widely depolyed ground vehicle, surpassed only by a few others in anologs of the Inner Sphere.

The Hasta can and has been uses a fire support vehicle by several mercenary groups and does well in that roll. With a top speed of 96 KPH, the Hasta can get out of trouble if it needs to and it can keep up with most of the units it would be supporting or supported by.

FedCom doctrine assigns the Hasta two roles, recon and fire support. The first is the primary mission and this one the Hasta does very well. Since standing orders are for the crews of the Hastas to avoid direct combat with enemy forces. Once they get behind the enemy lines they seek out a good spot to sit and either report back all they see or use their missiles to drop in a few suprises on the unsupsecting enemy forces.

The current version has been upgraded with a new extended range version of the standard medium laser. Earlier models have a normal medium laser on them.

--------------------------------------------------------
Type/Model: Hasta
Mass: 36 tons

Equipment: Items Mass
Int. Struct.: 20 pts Standard 0 4.00
Engine: 220 Fusion 0 10.00
Shielding & Transmission Equipment: 0 5.00
Cruise MP: 6
Flank MP: 9
Heat Sinks: 10 Single 0 .00
Cockpit & Controls: 0 2.00
Crew: 3 Members 0 .00
Turret Equipment: 0 1.00
Armor Factor: 112 pts Standard 0 7.00

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Front: 4 30
Left / Right Sides: 4 20/20
Rear: 4 12
Turret: 4 30

Weapons and Equipment Loc Heat Ammo Items Mass
1 ER Medium Laser Turret 5 1 1.00
1 LRM 10 Turret 0 12 2 6.00
TOTALS: 5 3 36.00
Items & Tons Left: 9 .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 1,181,840 C-Bills
Battle Value: 371
Cost per BV: 3,185.55
Weapon Value: 262 / 262 (Ratio = .71 / .71)
Damage Factors: SRDmg = 8; MRDmg = 6; LRDmg = 3
BattleForce2: MP: 6T, Armor/Structure: 0 / 4
Damage PB/M/L: 1/1/1, Overheat: 0
Class: GM; Point Value: 4
Specials: if
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Bob_Richter
11/27/01 07:51 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Waste of a fusion engine.

The thing comes with ten heat sinks, and you're only using five.

Plus, you're using an LRM-10, which is an unforgiveable offense. Try 2 LRM-5s....and put another ER Medium in with the tonnage you saved.

Of course, it's STILL a waste of a fusion engine, even with those adaptations.

Tracked vehicles. Pah!

-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Karagin
11/27/01 07:53 AM

Oh thank you oh so perfect one who know all there is to know about vehicle building...

I will file that variant right where it belongs...
Karagin

Bob_Richter
11/27/01 07:55 AM

A damned sight more than you do, oh great arrogant one.

who builds a 36 ton TRACKED TANK anyway?

With a Fusion Engine?

It's like using C-Bills for target practice.

They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
CrayModerator
11/27/01 08:39 AM

I have built a 5/8 fusion 36-ton tracked vehicle. Worked great. I was trying to find the right balance for a chassis that could be used as an IFV and an MBT. 40 tons felt too heavy to use as an IFV, but 30 tons was too light for an MBT. Compromises and requirements between the two ideas lead to a 36-ton vehicle. The MBT was quite like the Myrmidion (a sweet tracked tank if there was one).

Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
11/27/01 08:43 AM

Thank you, same thing I ran into for this vehicle the heavier chassis was not what it called for and the lighter ones didn't meet the billing either.

Would mine sharing your 36 ton IFV?
Karagin

Bob_Richter
11/27/01 08:44 AM

Hm. At 5/8, there's any number of things that can run it down.

Most of them can probably kill it too.

No, I don't like the Myrmidon either. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

CrayModerator
11/27/01 09:40 AM

>Hm. At 5/8, there's any number of things that can run it down. Most of them can probably kill it too.

Of course. They weren't uber-tanks. They were meant to be the Panther or Vindicator of tanks: tough enough, potent enough, and mobile enough to be adequate combat units. What made them viable is their price tag: cheap as a Locust, low tech, easy to mass produce, and very available.

In a game where BV or tonnage was used to select units, they sucked.

In a game where money and factory capacity mattered, you could buy them by the dozen (almost) for the price of an XL-equipped assault mech. Further, they WERE available by the dozens for any buyer with the money, unlike mechs.

Did you want the Sherman or King Tiger? Myrmidon or Marauder? If you answered 'B' to those questions, you clearly wouldn't want the 36-ton tanks I designed.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
11/27/01 09:44 AM

I like how you think, very good and right to the point...
Karagin

Bob_Richter
11/27/01 09:52 AM

>>>What made them viable is their price tag: cheap as a Locust, low tech, easy to mass produce, and very available. <<<

Not with Fusion Engines....

ah, but I forget. This is 3060. Fusion engines grow on trees!

Cheaper than a Locust?

Suppose that might make 'em worthwhile. I had no idea the cost tables were THAT messed up (I knew they were messed up, but the seriousness of the stupidity continues to amaze me. One of these days, I will have to make my own....)

Warner_Doles
11/27/01 09:59 AM

I might suggest one change. Give up a ton of armor and Artemis IV on this and I think it will make it a better fast arty support platform that you've designed.
Karagin
11/27/01 10:06 AM

Interesting idea...I had two variants in mind one was to go with an SRM and the other was to go with so RLs...but your idea has an excellent twist and one that could extend the usefulness of the Hasta.
Karagin

CrayModerator
11/27/01 10:38 AM

>Not with Fusion Engines.... ah, but I forget. This is 3060. Fusion engines grow on trees

Indeed. Read the M-7/8 entry in the design forum.

As for cost, vehicles ARE cheaper than mechs of a comparable tonnage. I think its from the lack of gyros (oi, pricey), myomers and/or actuators, and lower final cost multipliers (for ground vehicles). A 36-ton vehicle with a 180-rated fusion engine comes out in the same price range as a Locust.

But I welcome revised cost estimates. That one is from memory, and might've involved my homemade "cheap fusion engine."

Bob_Richter
11/27/01 11:37 AM

Didn't think of that.

Actually, it's a good idea.

Oh. Um. Hi, Warner.

Suppose I might as well be the first to apologize, since it looks like we'll have to co-exist here.

So, for what it's worth: I'm sorry for the blow-up that happened on your board, and the various insults that entailed.

Warner_Doles
11/27/01 12:20 PM

Thanks.

And Bob I apologize too. I can be a brash and big arse at times. And I am sorry that we had that blow up too.

I will endeavor to be a better listener and will keep my self restrained here as I do on CBT's boards. BTW, YOU are welcome to post there if you want. There are some Horses over there talking much smack.
Karagin
12/08/06 12:44 AM

Another time for this one.
Karagin

Karagin
09/12/09 04:09 PM

Skipping the hostile comments and such, bumping this for a second look over.
Karagin

Tripod
09/13/09 05:07 AM

I for one enjoy the moderatly priced, quite usefull, easily repaired and commonly available designs found here. Both the sensablly designed mechs and V's. They are a more realistic approach to the problems at hand. If you create a super uber mech and field it, it will die, it's a target. If no one enemy posses the greatest threat, they are ALL threats!

I second the idea for Artimis or maybe a second laser... How available is Artimis?
TBA
Karagin
09/13/09 11:23 AM

They have Artemis IVs...I can work on a variant that adds one or the both to Hasta.
Karagin

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 155 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 8890

Contact Admins Sarna.net