RARGH!!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
CrayModerator
12/19/01 10:04 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Originally a Shadowhawk and subsequently called many things based on famous battle footage, the family Shadowhawk rebuilt by George "The Beast" Wilson has earned its 15 minutes of fame and has more than a few armchair generals clammering for their nation's Shadowhawk factories to retool to build Wilson's version (usually referred to as the Rargh).

The Rargh will probably not be produced in large numbers by any houses other than Davion due to its monopoly of a key component: RACs. The Federated Suns probably won't build it in any large numbers, either, as the Rargh is entirely ammo-based, rather expensive, and a touch short-ranged for the 3060 battlefield. However, most mechwarriors agree it would be fun to test drive a Rargh.

RARGH!!! (Or ROAR!! Or BOO-YAH!!! Or YARGH!!! Or BYOR-OR-OR-ORGH!!)
55 tons
2.75 tons internal structure
7.75 tons 275 XL engine
Walking: 5
Running: 8
Jumping: 3
0 tons 10 DHS
3 tons gyroscope
3 tons cockpit
10.5 tons armor
Head: 3
CT: 18
RT/LT: 13
RA/LA: 9
RL/LL: 13
20 tons 2x RAC/5 (RA/LA)
6 tons RAC ammo (LT)
.5 tons CASE (LT)
1.5 tons Jump Jets (CT/RT/LT)
Endosteel crits: 2 RL/LL/RA/LA, 8 RT
Both hand actuators present

HISTORY
The Rargh started out as a 3050-model Shadowhawk that was mangled in one of many raids against the Clans. It was recovered by its successful lance mates, but Wilson's father (who piloted the SHD in that battle) decided to retire after getting out of physical therapy. His son, George, was too young to pilot the SHD immediately, but that was fine. It gave Dad a chance to make a fortune with a computer business on New Avalon (funded by the black market sale of a Clan Pulse Large Laser, his share of the booty from the raid) and thus fund the reconstruction of the family mech by the time his son graduated from NAMA.

Signing on with his dad's merc unit (now serving with the DCMS), George got his first taste of combat when the Ghost Bears launched their attack on the Combine for the attack at Alshain. George earned his nickname, "The Beast," earned his mech a nicknamed, "The Rargh," and had his 15 minutes of interstellar fame for his exploits against da Bears.

George's first brush with combat was in the defense of a major city, and the legend of the Rargh begins here. The plan formulated by the lance's lieutenant was to make hit-and-run attacks against the advancing assault star, using the merc mechs' (all mediums) greater mobility to pull this off. George, the green cadet, would be the last one to make such a hit and run attack so he could watch how the others pulled it off. One by one, the merc mechs would pop out of alleys and fire at the advancing star. In two cases, da Bears just turned and evaporated the insolent Spheroid (who were usually under 30 meters from 5 assault mechs). In the third case, George got to watch the lance's scout (an Assassin) burned down in mid-air as it jumped away from its not-so-clever ambush. George basically panicked when he discovered he was between half the city and a Ghost Bear assault star.

Paralyzed by fear but unable to flee, George watched as da Bears thundered past him toward the rear of the merc lines on the other side of the city. Finally, George found himself acting, even though it felt as if someone else was in control of his body. (His later retellings on talk shows and media interviews painted an entirely different picture, of course.) Battle ROMs indicate George was swearing and yelling incoherently when he stepped out behind the star of assault mechs.

In the opening salvo, George dropped the two rearmost Ghost Bear mechs, a Masakari and Gladiator, via a destroyed engine (ammo explosion and center torso critical hit) and a destroyed gyroscope respectively. Only 1 of 12 RAC bursts went astray. When George advanced, he stomped on the head of the still-twitching Gladiator and destroyed a confused Kodiak that was just figuring out something was behind it, again via engine damage. The fourth mech, a Thor, was quicker to turn but largely vented its fury on the buildings around George while George managed another freakishly accurate salvo into the torso of the Thor that left the larger mech a burning wreck. The 38-second battle closed when George and the star's commander (in another Gladiator) exchanged fire over a low building. The hail of RAC fire shattered the Gladiator's cockpit.

Any veteran mechwarrior who has seen the battle ROMs knows "The Beast" was way out of his depth and riding on an incredible streak of luck. (Most telling is the additional 10 seconds of fire "the Beast" poured into innocent buildings behind the collapsing star commander's mech before realizing the fight was over. Either that or the half-hysterical yelling that the media likes to interpret as brave battle bellows.) However, it would take two more battles and 5 more destroyed Clan mechs before the Beast's winning streak ended.

In a fighting retreat to the merc unit's dropships two days later, the Beast and other mercs were hit by a Ghost Bear medium star, where the Beast's luck largely repeated itself. George simply waded into the middle of da Bears and blew the medium Clan omnimechs apart one by one. His rotary autocannons jammed after gunning down the third mech, so the out-of-control mechwarrior simply grabbed a Black Hawk's arm and beat the remaining Ghost Bear mechs into garbage. The Beast again continued to pummel his foes after the battle was over, pounding a Ryoken for half a minute before he responded to the calls from other mercs to calm down.

After a whirlwind publicity tour lasting several months, the now-famous Beast got to take part in a raid against Ghost Bear forces. Shortly after the orbital drop, the Beast and his company encountered Ghost Bear garrison mechs. The Beast charged the Rargh at a Masakari (prime) and was casually gunned down by the Clanner before ever getting within RAC range.

Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Korbel
12/19/01 01:09 PM

That is some Great Fluff Text... Had me grinning from ear to ear in glee. (and my coworkers looked over the cube walls because I laughed so hard)
KitK
12/19/01 04:06 PM

Whats the scoop on these rotary ACs anyway?
CrayModerator
12/20/01 08:05 AM

Quoting an e-mail I just sent to a friend explaining RACs...

Rotary ACs (RACs) are like Ultra ACs (UACs), but on crystal meth.

EARLY HISTORY
Rotary ACs were originally introduced as Clan weapons by the FASA-approved fan magazine, Mech Force UK (MFUK). MFUK is well known in BT circles for amazing innovations mech technology, including the Inflato-Missile and Plasma Cannon. The MFUK Clan RACs were available in sizes ranging from RAC/2 to RAC/20.

MFUK RACs could fire at normal speed, double speed like an UAC (jam on a to-hit roll of 2, roll on SRM 2 chart to see how many shots hit), quadruple speed (jam on 2-3, roll on SRM 4 chart), and sextuple speed (jam on 2-4, roll on SRM 6 chart). Like SRMs and UACs, each shot that landed had a separate hit location rolled. Like UACs, when combined with a targeting computer and called shot rules, every shot would hit the same location. Note a MFUK Clan RAC/20 could spit out 1.2 tons of ammo a turn, but was well balanced because it generated 48 heat. (<--The last part is sarcasm.)

THE MIDDLE PERIOD
Enter MaxTech (Maximum Technology, a FASA-published rules expansion). MaxTech introduced many wonders, but nothing as gruesome as MFUK RACs. Indeed, MaxTech's greatest evil was to open up the full range of Streak launchers (SSRM 2-6), ER lasers (small to large), and UACs (2 to 20) to the Inner Sphere. In fact, sometimes MaxTech's options included downgrades, like providing rules on "workmechs" and ICE-powered mechs.

And the Light Autocannons, LACs.

LACs were outgrowths of LB-X autocannons and other AC advancements. LACs were entirely Davion (NAIS) in origin, and available only in LAC/2s and LAC/5s. The LAC/2 had a range of 18 (no minimum), the LAC/5 a range of 15. The LAC/2 was 4 tons and 1 crit; the LAC/5 was 5 tons and 2 crits. Ammo, heat, and damage were unchanged from standard ACs.

Oddly enough, LACs did not enjoy widespread popularity.

RECENT HISTORY
With the release of Field Manual: Federated Suns, FASA borrowed LAC technology and declared that NAIS scientists had found new use for the unpopular LAC technology. To wit, FASA formally introduced the RAC/2 and RAC/5.

I'm not completely familiar with the RAC/2, but the RAC/5 has the range of a LAC/5 (i.e. a large laser), is 10 tons, 6 crits and otherwise performs like the MFUK RAC/5.

In other words, by spending 1/3 of a ton of ammo per turn and risking a jam on 2-4 on your to-hit roll, the RAC/5 gives you a (up to) 30pt, 15-hex range, 6-heat Cannon o' Doom.

Of course, you have to roll to see how many shots hit on the SRM 6 table, but those are 5pt hits at range 15, 1 heat each shots.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Bob_Richter
12/20/01 08:16 AM

I just had an evil idea regarding a RAC/5 and some poor Airships. Muahahahaha!

Personally, I liked the LACs. Odd, isn't it, that the LAC is level 3 and the RAC is level 2?

So many pieces of level 3 deserve to be level 2 more than the RACs, HGRs or Cappie Megastealth Armor.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
LordChaos
12/20/01 11:29 AM

I, personaly, don't belive in RACs... but that's just me... I agree that they should be level 3 (or 4... or banned...)

But I could see many uses for a LAC-5.
Real mechwariors pilot IS mechs.
CrayModerator
05/14/09 09:07 PM

Bump.

Zandel_Corrin
05/15/09 03:57 AM

I don't like RAC's myself... the idea is great but they seem heavy and jam way to often to be of any real value....

That's from my limited experience with them (3 games)...
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
GiovanniBlasini
05/15/09 05:32 AM

It occurs to me this thing would be thoroughly evil on Solaris VII.
Member of the Pundit Caste
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." -- Col. Saul Tigh, BSG2003
Prince_of_Darkness
05/15/09 11:20 AM

More like Dakka.

Or DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA!!
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
05/15/09 12:32 PM

And people say that my fusion hover craft are not game balanced.

I would say that the RAC is a newtype.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Prince_of_Darkness
05/15/09 01:09 PM

Quote:

Not really. It splatters damage like you have hardly seen, can only use a Targeting Computer in single-shot mode, and has to carry a high level of ammo.
Lefric
05/15/09 03:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Not really. It splatters damage like you have hardly seen, can only use a Targeting Computer in single-shot mode, and has to carry a high level of ammo.

Don't forget the jamming at inopportune times.

Although being on the recieving end of a RAC 5 will ruin just about any mechs day.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm." -George Orwell
Prince_of_Darkness
05/15/09 03:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Don't forget the jamming at inopportune times.

Although being on the recieving end of a RAC 5 will ruin just about any mechs day.

Especially if you just got hit by a couple UAC/20 rounds...
GiovanniBlasini
05/15/09 03:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

And, y'now, has the advantage of being an actual weapon in the rulebooks.
Member of the Pundit Caste
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." -- Col. Saul Tigh, BSG2003
05/15/09 04:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And, y'now, has the advantage of being an actual weapon in the rulebooks.

That might be so, but it will not be in any game I will be playing. Its way to powerful and over balancing.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
05/15/09 10:42 PM

Quote:

That might be so, but it will not be in any game I will be playing. Its way to powerful and over balancing.

Before you call the RAC unbalanced, take a moment to compare it to existing weapons.

RACs roll to see how many shots hit and scatter their hits like SRMs. That makes a RAC/5 effectively like 6 medium lasers or 30 LRM missile tubes: a cluster of annoying little hits with none of the knockout, single-hit punch of a UAC/10, HPPC, UAC/20, and many other heavy weapons (and that's Inner Sphere weapons; Clan weapons are still munchy as hell in comparison).

RAC/5s, the more potent of the 2 RACs, have 15-hex ranges. That's it. You're paying 10 tons (plus bountiful ammo) for a medium-ranged weapon that will average about 15 to 20 points of damage (at max rate), jam on 1 in 6 shots (at max rate; 600% as often as UACs), and delivers that damage in 5-point groups.

Wooo.

Why not take an LRM 20 with Artemis or semi-guided ammo instead? Then you'll get virtually the same average damage, 66% more range, a wide selection of ammo, indirect fire, and do that on the same tonnage and heat as a RAC/5.

Or why not take 6-8 medium lasers or 4-6 ER MLs? Then you get most of the range, no jamming, no ammo, and much better damage tolerance (no single hit will cripple your 20-point weapon array).

Or for that matter, what about a UAC/10? Then you get 20% more range, 1/6th the chance of jamming, more shots per ton (5 vs 3.33), same heat, and double the punch per hit?

And then there's the HPPC. While it's damage is toward the low end of the RAC/5 average spread, its heat is higher, and its tonnage is the same (not counting ammo and CASE), it does deliver its 15 points to one spot and is fully targeting computer compatible, unlike the RAC.

Personally, for IS weapons, I stick with LRMs, PPCs (HPPCs, ER PPCs, plain PPCs), and medium lasers. I feel no urge to use RAC/5s in a regular game unless the campaign says I'm stuck with a RAC-toting design...Or I want some noisy, inefficient, super-sized gatling fun, like the Rargh. Any other time, RACs are too inefficient for me.

And RACs are a JOKE compared to Clan weaponry. I'd sell my RAC, first born child, and kidney for a Clan Large Pulse laser. 10 points of damage at 20 hexes and a -2 to hit? Oh, hell yes. RACs have nothing on Clan pulse lasers - a brace of medium pulse lasers (range 12) beat the hell out of RACs. Then there's the half-weight, no-minimum Clan LRMs, which also outperform RACs in any respect.

RACs are unbalanced and munchy? They might seem that way at first blush, but the claim doesn't hold up in a careful comparison to existing, older weaponry.

Edited by Cray (05/16/09 01:17 AM)
Toscotto
05/16/09 05:59 AM

the dead rises...
The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as needed?
CrayModerator
05/16/09 11:44 AM

Quote:

the dead rises...

I'd been thinking of reposting the Rargh, but when I stumbled over it while searching for another of my old posts here, I figured it'd be easier just to bump it forward.

KamikazeJohnson
05/16/09 12:47 PM

Hear hear about LPLs...my 2nd design challenge way back showed the effectiveness of even an IS LPL against Medium 'Mechs, being the deciding factor in the Final Reckoning challenge. The ability to actually HIT at long range is highly underrated...
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
05/17/09 02:04 AM

So you are saying that 6 AC20 hits in one turn is not over bearing? Even a 100 ton mech with heavy armor can't stand up to that. As for jamming oh big deal it take one turn to unjam the weapon.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
05/17/09 03:09 PM

Quote:

So you are saying that 6 AC20 hits in one turn is not over bearing?

There are no canon RAC/10s or RAC/20s. Those only existed as unofficial, cheesy Clan weapons in a fan magazine.

Canon RACs are only available as RAC/2s and RAC/5s.

Edited by Cray (05/17/09 03:13 PM)
Prince_of_Darkness
05/17/09 05:43 PM

Not to mention that it can take someone several turns to unjam an RAC (the big reason for the pilot of the Battlemaster in the Wolf and Blake sourcebook has an ability to help negate a jam).
05/18/09 09:13 AM

Oh, just give them until the next weapon tech book update, it will be in there. Just like the LBX went from only 5 to all ACs. I would not be surprised if I vetoed half of the weapons that will be coming out in that book from any campaign that I might some day run. I like the lower tech weapons like the MRM but as it comes to the ultra advanced stuff its gone.

Oh talking of the MRM I just read the first BT novel that had a battlemech that had the MRM weapon system in it. =) The only thing is it did not say what size MRM. =(

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
05/18/09 03:28 PM

Quote:

Oh, just give them until the next weapon tech book update, it will be in there.

Nope, absolutely not. RACs are stuck on RAC/2s and RAC/5s. Here's their behind-the-scenes history:

Fan Magazine (Mech Force or MFUK) introduces them as Clan weapons in sizes ranging from Clan-RAC/2 to CRAC-20. No one uses them as they are uber-munch and, like many other Mech Force products, they are laughed away.

Field Manual: Federated Suns introduces (c2000) the canonical versions, RAC/2 and RAC/5, which are much heavier and shorter-ranged than the MF CRACs.

BMR is reprinted but only gains RAC/2 and RAC/5.

Total Warfare is published, but only has the RAC/2 and RAC/5.

Tech Manual, the ultimate construction rules book, is published but only has the RAC/2 and RAC/5.

Tactical Operations, the ultimate no-holds barred equipment book with every rare item of equipment from Blue Shield to Subcompact KF drives and cloaking equipment, is published but only has the RAC/2 and RAC/5. Tactical Operations did see the eventual introduction of Clan RACs, but they are only in CRAC/2 and CRAC/5 formats - slightly improved over the Inner Sphere versions, but still only in -2 and -5 formats.

During the writing of Tactical Operations, CRAC/10s and CRAC/20s *were* proposed and playtested, but they were so munchy that they were flamed out of the book faster than the x-ray lasers.

Strategic Operations was published with even more equipment and a slew of new rules for WarShips and other super-powered units, but RACs remained limited to -2 and -5 format.

Being involved with the writing of other core books, I can tell you: there are not RAC/10s or RAC/20s planned. Ever.

EVER.

RAC/10s and RAC/20s had their chance twice, and they were flamed out of existence twice - once before the book even got into the draft .pdf format. I've never seen such a negative reaction from the playtesters toward a new item of equipment as the CRAC/10 and CRAC/20.

We're coming up on a decade since RACs were made canon and their -10 and -20 formats have not been introduced. LBXs and UACs went from single caliber c1989 in TR:2750 to 4 calibers in 1990.

Quote:

I would not be surprised if I vetoed half of the weapons that will be coming out in that book from any campaign that I might some day run.

Before you reject something for being new and high tech, take a moment and assess it in comparison to existing weapons. What you should find is that all new weapons are only equal to, or less effective than, existing weapons. Only in a few cases will a new weapon render older items obsolete, and then only in the cases where the older weapons are already endangered (e.g., standard large lasers). Despite all the new toys being published, you can generally find equal or more effective existing weapons.

Me? I find the most capable weapons were the ultra-munch original Clan tech items. NOTHING matches the original Clan medium and large pulse lasers and the Clan LRMs. Nothing has had more effect than the Double Strength Heat Sink - a well-designed unit limited to L1 technology and DHS will be damned near as effective as any 3076 wundertech machine.

05/18/09 05:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I would not be surprised if I vetoed half of the weapons that will be coming out in that book from any campaign that I might some day run.

Before you reject something for being new and high tech, take a moment and assess it in comparison to existing weapons. What you should find is that all new weapons are only equal to, or less effective than, existing weapons. Only in a few cases will a new weapon render older items obsolete, and then only in the cases where the older weapons are already endangered (e.g., standard large lasers). Despite all the new toys being published, you can generally find equal or more effective existing weapons.

Me? I find the most capable weapons were the ultra-munch original Clan tech items. NOTHING matches the original Clan medium and large pulse lasers and the Clan LRMs. Nothing has had more effect than the Double Strength Heat Sink - a well-designed unit limited to L1 technology and DHS will be damned near as effective as any 3076 wundertech machine.

Oh, I will give anything a fair looking into before I reject it. As for ultra-munch I would have to give that to Clan MPLs with a TC and DHS with 8 of them you can take out a 55 mechs CT with one volley. I agree that it should be disallowed. Thou missing it also, that was one hell of an attack. =p

Some of the weapons I will allow with no problem like the plasma gun. Talk about worthless. A inferno SRM would be a great deal better in every way.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Prince_of_Darkness
05/20/09 01:03 PM

Quote:

Oh, I will give anything a fair looking into before I reject it. As for ultra-munch I would have to give that to Clan MPLs with a TC and DHS with 8 of them you can take out a 55 mechs CT with one volley. I agree that it should be disallowed. Thou missing it also, that was one hell of an attack. =p

That's a biased statement, especially since it requires all CMPL's to hit the CT at once.

Quote:

Some of the weapons I will allow with no problem like the plasma gun. Talk about worthless. A inferno SRM would be a great deal better in every way.

Considering the damage it does to units that don't track heat, I beg to differ. Most infantry platoons will loose 1/2 their members from one Plasma Cannon shot.

The Plasma rifle is also very effective.
05/20/09 03:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That's a biased statement, especially since it requires all CMPL's to hit the CT at once.

Aaaa yes... Targeting computers do have that ability, at least the last that I knew. Instead of a -1 to hit you have a +3 to hit, with the -2 from MPLs that is a +1. A starting mech clan char. has a base of 2 to hit. With out other moderators at short range that is a to hit of 3, since a 2 misses anyways, Instant death. Why do you think I 100% agree its Munhing.
Quote:

Considering the damage it does to units that don't track heat, I beg to differ. Most infantry platoons will loose 1/2 their members from one Plasma Cannon shot.

The last that I know one inferno SRM will kill 100% of an unarmored infantry platoon.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Prince_of_Darkness
05/20/09 05:09 PM

Quote:

Aaaa yes... Targeting computers do have that ability, at least the last that I knew. Instead of a -1 to hit you have a +3 to hit, with the -2 from MPLs that is a +1. A starting mech clan char. has a base of 2 to hit. With out other moderators at short range that is a to hit of 3, since a 2 misses anyways, Instant death. Why do you think I 100% agree its Munhing.

Not anymore, tho. While you still get the -1 to-hit, you can no longer make aimed or called shots with them. It goes the same for RAC's.

Quote:

Quote:

The last that I know one inferno SRM will kill 100% of an unarmored infantry platoon.

Not anymore, either. See the thread on AMS.
05/20/09 08:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Not anymore, either. See the thread on AMS.

He did not touch on what infernos do to troops. Because quote I'm lazy unquote.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 136 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 14214

Contact Admins Sarna.net