A Rules Question

Pages: 1
Nightward
12/29/01 05:35 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I was getting ready to post a Level 3 Submarine the other day and idly flipped through the BMR. Then I saw someting that made my blood run cold: "...Likewise, Torpedo racks may not use any type os special ammunitions" (p. 141).

Eh? Does this mean that Torpedos cannot be equipped with Artemis (it counts as a 'Special Ammo') or Streak technologies (likewise)? I understand why you cannot have Swarm Torpedoes etc, but that totalled my Submarine (which had Artemis launchers and Streak SRMs).

The second question: Does a Sub get the extra heat dissipation for being underwater? I was going to stivk 2 ER PPCs on it and wondered if I could get away with having only 24 Heat Sinks on it, the rest of the heat dissipation provided by being underwater.

Does anybody have answers?
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Rick Raisley
12/29/01 06:18 PM

As BMR states, Torpedoes are maritime versions of /regular/ short- and long-range missiles. Than means just standard I.S. or Clan LRM-5, -1, -15, -20 and SRM-2, -4 and -6. Streaks could not mount torpedoes.

Likewise, Torpedoes are in themselves a special munition, but all other specialty munitions would probably not work underwater. Only the specially designed torpedoes.

As to Artemis, it works by illuminating the target with an infra-red beam, which would be partly or fully absorbed by the water. I would not think that Artemis could work underwater.

While it makes sense that subs could get additional heat dissipation, there's no mention of it in the rules, specifically. And as vehicles /must/ mount sufficient heat sinks to fire all weapons at once, I wouldn't think you could gain from being under water. Officially, at least. You could always make a house rule, of course.
Rick Raisley
heavymetal@bellsouth.net

HeavyMetal Pro, Vee and Lite Home Page:
www.heavymetalpro.com
Nightward
12/29/01 11:17 PM

Thanks. That's what I thought. Ah well, that has truly canned the Armageddon project.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
TRYCORP
12/31/01 10:36 AM

It brought Armageddon to the Armageddon project? How Ironic..
"Machine Guns! Thats a Summoner out there! Do you plan to punch little holes in it, and have it fall down from too much ventilation!?!"

TRYCORP
Clan Nova Cat
CrayModerator
12/31/01 02:03 PM

Sonar and wire-guidance come to mind for making an underwater Artemis/Streak/Narc/etc.

Mike Miller, MatE
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Nightward
12/31/01 07:02 PM

Yes. But the rules, as written, do not allow for it. The Armageddon was a Level 3 design anyway (weighing 550 Tons), so I might have another look at it.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 70 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3926

Contact Admins Sarna.net