Which is munchier..

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Karagin
01/17/02 02:37 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Targetting Computers or C3 Systems?

Let's here your opinion and reasons why on this issue. Please keep it friendly, no need to argue over this, just please share your opinions and ideas.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Bob_Richter
01/17/02 02:41 AM

Neither. Both are perfectly balanced by the inherent drawbacks in their systems.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Korbel
01/17/02 06:11 AM

I agree... The only thing Munchy is abuse of the systems designed uses
Greyslayer
01/18/02 02:36 AM

Each system has advantages and disadvantages. Both systems though have a glaring problem of being unable to deal with indirect fire ;). One of my favourite tactics against said forces using either of these technologies.

At least with C3 you can still remove its ability of being effective through several ways :-

Take out C3 Lance Master
Take out C3 Company Master
Jam closest unit so they have to take numbers from a further unit.
Use Smoke rounds ... (this is good on targetting computer units as well but very effective against C3 forces).

Use of iNarc pods.

Create fires to block LOS and slow their ability to get a decent lock on you.

These ideas don't really take much tactics to organise either. Other ways to affect a C3 unit might require a bit more tactical planning but shouldn't be a problem for an experienced player.

Greyslayer
Korbel
01/18/02 06:14 AM

I agree with you that C3 is a major improvement but at substantial penalty for the C3 Master mech, in tonnage & space.

What I really think is munchy is the C3i you can't take out a hub because there isn't one... no singnificant drawbacks except for the increased tonnage on each mech... hmm well I can't find the rules on them.... anyone know what book C3i is in?
Greyslayer
01/18/02 06:17 AM

Its in the Star League(/Comstar/Rasal/Wobby) Field Manual as well as the Revised Master Rules.

Greyslayer
KamikazeJohnson
01/18/02 12:44 PM

OTOH, the TC directly and immediately improves the 'Mech it's mounted on. A C3 'Mech needs lancemates with C3 in order to gain an advantage. Naturally,in a "constructed" match, every 'Mech will have C3, or none will. In a "real world" scenario, only a few 'Mechs will carry C3 for logistical reasons, unless you're dealing with a specially-funded strike force.

In other words, mount TC on a 'Mech, it's guaranteed to give an advantage. C3 will in some scenarios, but not all.
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
BA_Evans
01/20/02 05:09 PM

There are very few STOCK mechs that have slaves. How good of a stock unit can you build?

BA Evans
Greyslayer
01/20/02 05:27 PM

Actually the ratio of stock mechs to those carry masters is poor. There are a massive number of mechs with slaves but few mechs (especially fast units with only the Bishamon being classed as quick with a master unit). Davion mechs with C3 Slaves basically only have access to the Cyclops with the C3 Master, highly ineffective to a majority of those refitted davion mechs with slaves usually being fast (like the new Javelin and Centurions).

Greyslayer
Karagin
01/21/02 01:00 PM

Okay...use your own definition and plug in the question asked...hence the part about the opinion and reason why.
Karagin

BA_Evans
01/22/02 12:17 PM

Good definition.

BA Evans
KamikazeJohnson
01/22/02 05:01 PM

In addition: "Munchy" equipment:

"Munchy" equipment , by an extension of your definition, is equipment which is far more effective than the designers had intended (unless, of course, the designer was a Munchkin), to the point that any 'Mech must use it in order to be effective relative to other 'Mechs using it. A good example would be, say, a Gauss Rifle mod that does the same damage and heat, but weighs only 2 tons. Such a piece of equipment requires no tactics to use effectively, and essentially destroys all opposition. Sort of like equipping 'Mechs with tactical nukes...even if both sides use them, they kind of wreck the battle by being so completely against the spirit of the game.
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Greyslayer
02/05/02 04:01 AM

Actually from what I can tell the C3 system has no 'floating attachments' of units to it. At the start of a battle (or whatever) you must have you units allocated to certain lances. The same goes for C3 Masters (especially at the company level). If you have two mechs with C3 masters one must be the Lance Net and the other must be the Company Linking Net unit if the company one is taken out then the lances can still work independantly but cannot link and if the lance net is taken out the other two lances can link but not the lance that lost its net.

Greyslayer
TRYCORP
02/20/02 05:46 PM

Then I might have been doing it wrong.. because I have always used a command lance (4 mechs with C3 Masters) 1 routeing for the others in the lance and the other three serveing to 3 other mechs.. sometimes if the battle was big enough i would use 2 lances of C3 Masters... but i guess I was doing it wrong =\ ???
"Machine Guns! Thats a Summoner out there! Do you plan to punch little holes in it, and have it fall down from too much ventilation!?!"

TRYCORP
Clan Nova Cat
TRYCORP
02/20/02 06:01 PM

Ok, i had those number just not in the same hierarchy.
"Machine Guns! Thats a Summoner out there! Do you plan to punch little holes in it, and have it fall down from too much ventilation!?!"

TRYCORP
Clan Nova Cat
Greyslayer
02/20/02 06:28 PM

This is incorrect according to the way it is explained in the BMR. You cannot have more than 12 units in this network yet you have illustrated 13. Your first lance should have two C3 Masters in it to signify the command lance status so change the first lance with :-

--C3 Master 1 (controls C3 Masters 2, 3 and 4) (counts as Slave 2-3)
---C3 Master 2
---C3 Slave 2-1
---C3 Slave 2-2

Greyslayer

Karagin
04/28/07 07:15 PM

Bump for another round of fun and adventure...
Karagin

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 53 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 48469

Contact Admins Sarna.net