Armor in Fluff Text

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Karagin
01/28/02 05:08 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
How would you go about adding in or using the following:

The Valiant Lamellor armor is another of the Marauder's singular features. Less massive and better able to distribute heat and kinetic energy than other armor types, the secret of its manufacture has been lost. In the present era, the Marauder is one of the few 'Mechs to use it
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Zilaz
01/28/02 05:38 PM

Every 1 point of damage from a weapon is worth .85 points of damage vs the Valiant Lamellor(rounding up)

sooo...
(C)ER PPC 15 damage
15*.85=12.75
13pts. of damage to the armor location

(Keep in mind I have no idea what I'm doing, this is something I came up with on the spot to fit the fluff)
I think, therefore you is.
NathanKell
01/28/02 06:30 PM

Or just...like Ferro-Fibrous, period!
(i.e. multiply armor points in each location by 1.12 and round to the nearest pt)
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
Karagin
01/28/02 07:52 PM

But you see while that is all great, this out of the 3025 TR not later models...
Karagin

Karagin
01/28/02 08:24 PM

Do you play Battletech? Do you use a beat up mech each and every time you play?

Karagin

NathanKell
01/28/02 09:37 PM

Quite.
However, if you want to simulate what the Marauder's "advanced" armor would be like (as I took your topic to ask) then it would seem logical to use the only statistic we have for advanced Star League armor--namely, advanced Star League armor (aka Ferro-Fibrous).
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
NathanKell
01/28/02 09:37 PM

Whoops;
Yep, you're both right.
My and others' suggestions would only apply to maybe 1st or 2nd SW battles.
Thomas Jefferson
Bob_Richter
01/29/02 12:19 AM

>>>Do you play Battletech?<<<

Yes.

>>>Do you use a beat up mech each and every time you play? <<<

No, we repair them between fights. (duh!)

There's no new supply of Valian Lamellor and...."As blasted patches have to be replaced with conventional armor, some Marauders now resemble metallic patchwork quilts."
(from TR3025)

Do you use a fresh, new, fresh-from the factory 'Mech every time you play? in 3025?

Even new factory-produced Marauders probably lack the Valiant Lamellor.

It seems obvious to me that the Marauder was a test platform for Ferro-Fibrous armor, much like a number of 'Mechs from the 2750 TRO. That just wasn't reflected in its 3025 design specs.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Karagin
01/29/02 12:25 AM

Thank you bob for adding something useful to this topic.
Karagin

KamikazeJohnson
01/29/02 12:51 AM

The only other alternative is to assign a higher armor factor to the Marauder (although the TRO neglects to do this). This would be similar, if not identical to the effects of FF armor. And, as stated in other posts, it would be impossible to repair or replace damaged armor, unless someone is sitting on a stash of the stuff...

Personally, it would be hard to justify using the advanced armor while holding to "realism", but if it is used, increased armor factor is probably the way to go
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Karagin
01/30/02 11:34 AM

Hello...once again, how about either coming up with a way for it to be used or don't interject your comments if you are not going to be helpful.
Karagin

Karagin
01/30/02 11:42 AM

Are you and Bob related?

The thread is about how the armor on the mech could be made to reflect the fluff text description. If you would take the time to read the other comments for the most part they try and cover that, what they don't do for the most part is be as brash and as crude as your's was.

Your's doesn't add anything to the converstation and in fact it detracts from it. So if it is to much to ask of you please don't comment on my posting if all you are going to is try to start something that in no way reflects the topic on hand.
Karagin

Bob_Richter
01/30/02 01:53 PM

Um. I would like to point out that my answer was "Use Ferro-Fibrous."

Some Marauders may still have their original armoring...especially if you just found them in a Brian Cache or something.

They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
CrayModerator
01/30/02 03:56 PM

Sounds like ferrofibrous. Ton for ton, ferrofibrous does distribute heat and kinetic energy better than standard mech armor, i.e. it's less massive for the protection it provides.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
CrayModerator
01/30/02 03:57 PM

>it does not ablate laser fire or kinetic energy any better than standard armor

Yes it does. FF provides ~18 points of protection per ton from such attacks compared to standard armor's 16 points. That, IMO, is the definition of "ablating laser fire or kinetic energy better than standard armor."

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Bob_Richter
01/30/02 05:01 PM

As I have explained many times, more armor points means better ability to ablate heavy and kinetic energy.

Bob_Richter
01/30/02 05:07 PM

Well, in that case...your POV is the wrong one

Er, that is, you're looking at it wrong.

An AC/20 does 20 points of damage, yes, but 20 points of damage is not 20 points of damage.

Now, admittedly, FF would make more sense if it increased the armor thresholds, but that's not what we're talking about, is it?

It clearly gives more armor protection for less mass. FREX:
With standard armor, a MAD-3R has 184 armor points, massing 11.5 tons.
With Ferro-Fibrous armor, it can have 188 armor points, massing 10.5 tons

Zilaz
01/30/02 06:13 PM

The problem with using the FF armor is that it requires re-working the 'Mech
Say you were playing a scenario jsut after teh SLDF Exodus....
You want to use the Marauder 'special' armor, but don't want to rework the 'Mech.... Use rules similar to what I put up in the begining.

I'm fairly sure his request was for a house rule to make the 'special' armor come to life... not what kind of armor to use instead of standard in a refit....
Bob_Richter
01/30/02 07:42 PM

Such a "reworking" would take all of three minutes.

Less with a 'Mech editor.

Karagin
01/30/02 07:43 PM

The Valiant Lamellor armor is another of the Marauder's singular features. Less massive and better able to distribute heat and kinetic energy than other armor types, the secret of its manufacture has been lost. In the present era, the Marauder is one of the few 'Mechs to use it.

Please note the bold part and tell me again that the Marauder doesn't have it...or at least the factory fresh mechs do seem to have it.
Karagin

Zilaz
01/30/02 08:02 PM

'Reworking' defeats the point. The point isn't to give it the same ammount of armor for less weight... thats what a later version (I don't recal which) is for.... The point is to make the exsisting armor 'more effective' as the fluff says.
NathanKell
01/30/02 08:03 PM

Your other option is to multiply amor pts. by 1.6 (as that's what Valiant Lamellor armor does for spacecraft).
That may be a bit excessive, though
Thomas Jefferson
Bob_Richter
01/31/02 12:55 AM

Eh. So put Ferro-Fibrous on it. I really don't see what the problem is here.

Bob_Richter
01/31/02 12:58 AM

Note the preceding statement: The secret of its manufacture has been lost.

I think it's pretty safe to say that most Marauders no longer mount it, and factory models are being punched out with standard armor.

CrayModerator
01/31/02 07:09 AM

Even in the case of #1, the lower weight means the armor is more efficient and performing better.

Both #1 and #2 say the same: FF performs better than normal armor.

CrayModerator
01/31/02 07:11 AM

>Less massive and better able to distribute heat and kinetic energy than other armor types, the secret of its manufacture has been lost

Since that's 3025-era text, that's a picture perfect description of Ferro-Fibrous. It is less massive for the protection it provides and in 3025 the secret of its manufacture was lost.

Karagin
01/31/02 03:17 PM

Did you read the bold part? Seems that Marauders have the armor if it's right out the factory door, so there would a few with it on them.
Karagin

Karagin
01/31/02 03:19 PM

Thank you for your comments, but they don't have any bearing on the topic, but thank you for the comments.
Karagin

Bob_Richter
02/01/02 04:30 AM

You do realise comments like this are exceptionally rude, right?

Karagin
02/01/02 05:54 AM

And your's aren't? What's your don't like how it feels to be bashed on? If that's the case then how about you stop doing it and I won't do it to you. Fair enough?
Karagin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 58914

Contact Admins Sarna.net