1 Defiance 5000 Heavy Gauss Rifle
1 Vulcan MDS Model 5B Anti-Missile System
1 Rhinemetal 1000 Gauss Rifle
2 KmC-8000 ER Medium Lasers
Manufacturer: Adon Industries
Communications System: CommuTech XL
Targeting & Tracking System: BlazeFire Tracker with RangeCheck

==Overview:==
Wishing to impress the Archon-Princess with a powerful home grown super tank, the engineers at Adon Industries rushed to prefect the pet project of their head of R&D, Dr. Proschmits.

The Maus III is a dream come true for Dr. Proschmits. After years of trial and error he could never get a chassis to hold the weight needed to allow it do mount an effective array of weaponary and still have enough armor to take on anything on the battlefield.

No one is sure why this vehicle was an obecession with the good doctor, but he almost broke the company trying to get it made.

==Capabilities:==
The Maus has the fire power to leave a small hilltop. It carries the Defience 5000 Heavy Gauss Rifle. This weapon is one the most powerful gauss rifles in use by any military. The mounting of it in the front hull area limits it's overall usage, but that is made up for by the Rhinemetal 1000 Gauss Rifle in the turret along with the dual KmC-8000 Extended Range Medium Class Lasers. To round off this impressive arsenal is the Vulcan MDS Model 5B anti-missile system.

Over all the machine is able to do a lot and the cost compares nicely to some of the assualt mechs in use by the LAAF.

==Deployment==
Three have been sent to Tharkard to protect the royal palace and the other 4 are being sent to the Defience plant on Hespereus to help defend it from attack.

--------------------------------------------------------
Type/Model: Maus III
Mass: 170 tons

Equipment: Items Mass
Int. Struct.: 85 pts Standard 0 34.00
Engine: 340 Fusion 0 27.00
Shielding & Transmission Equipment: 0 13.50
Cruise MP: 2
Flank MP: 3
Heat Sinks: 10 Single 0 .00
Cockpit & Controls: 0 8.50
Crew: 5 Members 0 .00
Turret Equipment: 0 1.50
Armor Factor: 624 pts Reactive 2 39.00

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Front: 17 126
Front L / R Sides: 17 83/83
Rear L / R Sides: 17 83/83
Rear: 17 60
Turret: 17 106

Weapons and Equipment Loc Heat Ammo Items Mass
1 Heavy Gauss Rifle Front 0 16 2 22.00
1 Anti-Missile System Front 0 48 2 4.50
1 Gauss Rifle Turret 0 24 2 18.00
1 ER Medium Laser Front 5 1 1.00
1 ER Medium Laser Front 5 1 1.00
TOTALS: 10 10 170.00
Items & Tons Left: 29 .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 21,213,189 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,480
Cost per BV: 14,333.24
Weapon Value: 1,997 / 1,997 (Ratio = 1.35 / 1.35)
Damage Factors: SRDmg = 39; MRDmg = 27; LRDmg = 10
BattleForce2: MP: 2T, Armor/Structure: 0 / 24
Damage PB/M/L: 4/4/3, Overheat: 0
Class: GA; Point Value: 15
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
CrayModerator
02/07/02 09:52 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Most of my comments about that other heavy tank you designed stand. It's about as good of a super heavy tank as I've yet seen built, but a Demolisher could carry most of those weapons. Decent fluff.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
02/07/02 11:48 AM

I am glad you think the Demolisher is a better tank and can carry the same load out of weapons that the Maus III does. I will stick with the Maus III if that's okay with you.
Karagin

CrayModerator
02/07/02 12:05 PM

I didn't say the Demolisher was a better tank - I said it could carry this loadout with a little tinkering.

Though, I have to admit after farting around with a Demolisher (fusion powered, natch) conversion, it IS hard to match the Maus. At 4.8 million a pop for a fusion-powered, twin-GR, no-secondaries Demolisher, I could get about 5 of them for one Maus, and I'd bet on the Demolisher platoon. BUT, man, I have to appreciate how you've kept the costs down on the Maus. I had to use an XL to get in the full payload of the Maus, and the dang thing was 13 million C-bills. I couldn't get more than one for the price of the Maus.

If someone's willing to lay out cash for an Alacorn or other XL-powered beast like that, yeah, I could see some utility in the Maus. It's only as expensive as an XL-powered assault mech. I'm going to have to eyeball these super heavies again.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Edited by Cray (02/07/02 12:33 PM)
Karagin
12/08/06 01:05 AM

Point taken, sorry for the carppy comments.
Karagin

strife
01/08/07 06:49 PM

Interesting, I always wanted to make a super-heavy munchkin tank but never could find the rules for one. The Maus III? History buff i see. Anyways, it needs more guns, alot more guns. It seems to be more mass then firepower. I'd relegate it to compacting dirt for hi-way construction or something.
Kidding
But hey, I've never made one myself. Where can I find some construction rules for one?
"caliber fifty JUSTICE!"
Karagin
01/08/07 08:23 PM

Max Tech rule book
Karagin

Karagin
01/08/07 11:29 PM

Based on the WW2 version or idea, it didn't have much more as far as guns with Two big canons and some MGs...

The tank could work in the BT universe but again like it's WW2 counterpart it would be a one hit wonder so to speak since moving it around would be logistical nightmare as well as a tactical joke since you could move more smaller vehicles for the same weight.
Karagin

strife
01/09/07 04:38 AM

Think of the nightmares the crews would have if you threw track on that thing? You need to pay for therapy on top of any super-crane you'd need to recover it. I suppose it would have the same logistical problems as a high-tech assault mech of some sort. Could'nt stray far from a place where it could get worked on with power-tools, lifting tools, ect.

For some reason, its noted, that the more expensive a real-world vehicle is, the more expensive common replacement parts for it are, the driver's seat on a Manticore would cost more then one on a Po heavy tank, for example. I'am sure a super-heavy tank would suffer even more in the same aspect.
"caliber fifty JUSTICE!"
Karagin
06/09/13 11:15 PM

This one would never get made, really who is going to allow it out of sight of the capital? The more you look at the heavier tanks you find out that they just don't work well in the game.
Karagin

ATN082268
06/10/13 11:11 AM

Quote:

This one would never get made, really who is going to allow it out of sight of the capital? The more you look at the heavier tanks you find out that they just don't work well in the game.

Have any super heavy (over 100 tons) vehicles been published and if so, how do they stack up to this design?
Karagin
06/10/13 01:41 PM

One has been published and it's a 200 ton monster that has amazing fluff that makes it sound like the second coming of armored warfare...you can find it in the Fed Suns TRO 3145 on CGL webpage once you order the PDF.

It vs the Maus...yeah it would be ugly since both would need move around, slow game, then once they got sight of each other then well it would be a slug fest and once a side hit happens then it's a dice roll to see who loses movement etc...then to be fair you would need to play three games or so to allow for fair win lose ratio etc...
Karagin

His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
06/23/13 11:29 AM

You can keep your white elephant, I will stay with my extremely cheep ants.

I can buy 55 of my tanks http://www.sarna.net/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/150962/an/0/page/9#150962 for the cost of one of your tanks.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
ATN082268
06/23/13 11:47 AM

Quote:

I can buy 55 of my tanks http://www.sarna.net/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/150962/an/0/page/9#150962 for the cost of one of your tanks.

Your rationale doesn't seem to fit in the Battletech Universe, otherwise, there would only be the cheapest units.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
06/23/13 12:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Your rationale doesn't seem to fit in the Battletech Universe, otherwise, there would only be the cheapest units.

My rationale does not fit into "YOUR" battletech universe. Everyone does not think bigger is better. As the rules for Battletech are written my vehicles do just fine as the cannon fodder that they are meant to be.

Having very large numbers of light or ultralight tanks have two advantages. First I can send wave after wave of tanks until there shear numbers crush you. Second I can just simply out flank you and attack where you cant defend because your somewhere else. Now the draw back is that trying to transport large numbers of light tanks in dropships is a pain in the ****. You can transport them as just standard cargo but that would mean that they are not ready to go into combat as soon as you hit ground and you would be taking days if not weeks unpacking them from the cargo hold, but it can be done. That would be more affective as reinforcements after a LZ is secured. If the planet has to be abandoned then the tanks can be parked very close to the dropship and when the dropship takes off its thrust will destroy the tanks either by throwing them a great distance with the back-blast, by melting them with the heat or doing both.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 380 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 8586

Contact Admins Sarna.net