Two Ideas to Improve Artillery in Battletech

Pages: 1
Karagin
02/21/02 02:09 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Okay here are two ideas I came up with back in 1992:

Counter Battery Computer Radar
This radar system for return artillery fire tracks the flight paths of incoming missiles and artillery rounds and tell the gunner where the enemy firing unit is. It will give the targets range and will give a - 2 to the to hit roll as long as both units have not move for two turns. The weight is 3 tons for 3 crits.

Shell Fall Radar
Special +1 to correcting your fire for the second turn that you fire on the same unmoving target. Mod is cumulative as long as you do not move either. Weight .5 Crits 1 Ht 1

Okay I would like to hear your comments on these, they have been play tested among my group and seem to work okay, but that doesn't mean they are perfect...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Korbel
02/22/02 06:15 AM

Just don't call it Radar and I think its accurate... a sentry robot was built in the early '90s that can triangulate where a bullet was fired from by the second shot...

The first could be changed into a targeting/tracking device... If any mech/vehicle/Infantry fires 2+ weapons in a single turn through the sensor range(say radius of 10-15 hexes) of equiped mech, equipped mech is able to triangulate the range, direction and firing position of the firing mech(for double blind games & RP aspect)

call it a artillery targeting computer on the second one...
CrayModerator
02/22/02 08:29 AM

Why not call it radar? Radar is used extensively, exclusively, to track artillery both to correct shot fall and engage in counterbattery duels. I mean, this technology has been established in RL for decades. IIRC, WWII US battleships used it to track their outgoing shells by the time of Leyte Gulf, and certainly in the Korean War.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
02/22/02 12:15 PM

Sorry but all the books that I have that talk about the idea call it radar. So I went with the name as they gave, and in most military Fiction and military scifi they call it radar as well.
Karagin

Bob_Richter
02/22/02 03:34 PM

Level 4 solution. Level 2 problem. As such, I'm not diggin' it.

I do really like the MT artillery rules. They make artillery a force to be reckoned with.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Karagin
02/25/02 08:32 AM

If you say so...these are better additions then MT rules. But play as you want.
Karagin

Karagin
01/27/07 01:06 AM

Okay I liked them...
Karagin

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 176 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5764

Contact Admins Sarna.net