An interesting Domino Situation

Pages: 1
Greyslayer
02/25/02 01:45 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Well my pathetic merc unit with more money than sence (Green Assault Lance amazingly I rolled davion instead of steiners *doh*) were involved with a couple of lances of davions assaulting a pre-pared Cappellan position.

At some point it looked like the davs were going to lose a Enforcer and to save him or at least totally screw up a couple of mechs I did something rather unusual:
- I moved a Trebuchet right up to the back of a Banshee that was right next to the Warhammer in a straight line ahead of the Treb. Then in the physical phase I pushed the Banshee into the Warhammer thus causing a small 'Domino effect'. For all intent and purposes the Warhammer had used its full movement that turn and the banshee was pushed into the Warhammer's left side.

From this scenario what is the resulting effects/damage/pilot skill checks from this successful attack?

Greyslayer
KamikazeJohnson
02/25/02 01:50 AM

I'm not sure about the to-hit roll, but I believe it would be treated like a 1-hex charge, with both Warhammer and Banshee taking damage. IIRC that's actually covered under "physical attacks" in the Compendium...I'm 90% sure its covered under "skidding" somewhere. Unfortunately, its been years since I've had a real live rulebook at my fingertips :-(
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Nightmare
02/25/02 09:57 AM

There is no damage, unless the defender misses a Piloting roll and falls. If the pushed mech didn`t fall, and stands face-to-face or back-to-face with you, it automatically enters the next hex, creating a Domino Effect. If it`s sideways to you it gets another Piloting roll to move one hex forward or back, avoiding the Domino. This requires it to have at least one MP left over from the movement phase and be standing, however. If forced into the next hex, both it and the new target have to roll piloting to avoid falling.
Advice for Evil Overlords:
My legions of terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice.
Greyslayer
02/25/02 04:12 PM

Ok this is the part that is tricky. And for the most part does not follow a logic pattern.

The rules point that a mech being pushed into the side allows a unit with MP left over to avoid the stacking violation. However if it fails the Pilot Skill Check it automatically falls (this must be taken as in the hex it is pushed to or it would still violate stacking rules ... great explanations eh? ). Now how come the units suffer no damage from the attack? A skid gives no save even if you have movement left over and a mech is pretty much screwed if it is hit by one. The reason for the displacement is that one unit was FORCED on another and dominoes do not fall unless they touch each other do not forget. It could be classed as a 'non-intentional charge' thus units receive tonnage/10 (rounded up) of the unit hitting them thus causing a pilot skill check with no modifiers (unless you are playing Maximum Tech and thus a Assault Mech hitting a Heavy Mech would cause the Heavy to take a +1 and the Assault to take a -1 to their pilot skill checks due to weigh class differences).

This is how we decided to work it out though like most things in this game we decided to add things where necessary:

The Banshee was displaced into the Warhammer's hex. The Banshee made a roll for being pushed (-2 modifier for push from Medium Mech). The Warhammer having no movement left could not avoid the incoming mech and thus was displaced into the next hex. 10 damage goes to the Warhammer and 7 damage to the Banshee then each mech rolls to see whether they fall (modified for weight class since we were using Maximum Tech rules on physicals). No critical damage was recorded nor did either mech fall in this situation.

The reason for the damage is that there MUST be some mechanic that allows a unit with no movement to move a hex in a direction it can't even normally go. In this case CONTACT from the Banshee giving impetus to the Warhammer (don't ask me how a mech hit from the side by a 95 ton stumbling projectile is going to make it easy to stand up).

Technically you can be right since it doesn't say anything about damage, again it doesn't say anything about units not receiving damage and truthfully the Warhammer cannot in any way avoid the Banshee.

What do you think on this reasoning?

Greyslayer
Nightmare
02/26/02 12:25 AM

Hey, it`s not like you have to OK a house rule with me
It sounds reasonable, it`s not over-powered or unfair to
anyone IMO.

BTW, the piloting check/falling seems to mean that you fall
in the hex you`re forced to enter. If you managed the roll,
you can step out-of-the-way if you had MP.
Advice for Evil Overlords:
My legions of terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice.
BigCol
02/26/02 01:43 AM

Wish I had stayed around to see that one.

Thinking it over, I made that game a little tough. Though you could do it, but you were out BV'ed something HUGE.

Well, what goes around comes around hey Grey

Cheers

Col
I don't want the world...
I just want your half...

Ana Ng - They Might be Giants
Greyslayer
02/26/02 03:10 AM

You didn't count Elite hidden troops with skills with a modifier did you? Usually each skill counts like a gunnery improvement for BV purposes and hidden will modify their bv by at least 20% as well. but in another case you would have to factor in the 15 artillery shells I have at my disposal as well though the last five arriving in turn 9 would certainly be modified since they will hardly be effective in any situation.

Greyslayer
BigCol
02/26/02 06:03 AM

Well...no.

But hell, it looked like a grand fight. I like what you did to the Cataphract. Do not know why I like them. LoL

Cheers

Col
I don't want the world...
I just want your half...

Ana Ng - They Might be Giants
Greyslayer
02/26/02 04:05 PM

I actually didn't think of that until I moved units onto the table or else I would've charged down the left side and removed those units instead. Would certainly have given me more cover and removed the chance of a first turn of return fire giving me a double-gyro hit from this elite losers.

Greyslayer
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 54 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4413

Contact Admins Sarna.net