Omni Elementals...

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Karagin
02/28/02 01:22 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Okay this a short take on idea that I ran across in some notes of mine, (I need to type it up and I have a pressing matter to finish before that happens.)

The idea is simple make the battlearmor of the Clans modular. This idea would allow it to carry other weapons like LRMs and upto a medium Laser.

This has some bugs but that is the basic idea, now how would you folks go about doing this? What woud you suggest? Please let's keep this on track and not sprialing off into anything else. Ok?

So comments and suggestion?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
CrayModerator
02/28/02 01:27 PM

It was my understanding the stock elemental could trade its small laser for a flamer or mech MG. Or maybe that was its anti-personnel mount.

Sounds like a good idea, though. Those missile launchers are detachable - should be able to trade them out for other weapons.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
02/28/02 01:33 PM

According to my notes, (makes note not to make notes in penicl next time), that was the idea behind this. My friend Jon and I have been tossing this around for some time.

The main point I am trying to keep is the weight at one ton and that seems to be the hard part, I was going with the idea of just saying that one of the Clans made a break through and the BA suits are now modular and not worrying about their actually tonnage kind of like FASA did...but not sure how folks would react to that...etc...
Karagin

Bob_Richter
02/28/02 03:18 PM

Elementals are ALREADY modular, to a more realistic extent than Omnimechs.

I'm quite satisfied with them the way they are.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Bob_Richter
02/28/02 03:24 PM

...It might be interesting to hack up some gadgets to replace the missile pack.

A 2/3 LRM system, for instance (LRMs are a little lighter than SRMs in both launchers and ammo, so it makes sense to me.)
Or a massive Heat Sink pack that allowed it to mount an ER Small Laser instead of the standard Laser/Flamer/MG.
Or a full-power TAG unit, Active Probe, or ECM Suite. In theory, one could mount one of each on a unit of eles, pretty good for sneaking around.

Or even a software upgrade that allowed you to swap out the Small Laser for a Micro Pulse Laser.

So, yeah. The modularity could be expanded a bit. I just don't want them going totally the way of the Omnimech.

They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
Diablo
02/28/02 05:28 PM

i want a battle armour suit with a PPC
"whats that bluish fuzzy thing on your head?"
-Luciphear to Talis, just before he exploded.

www.geocitis.com/luciph34r
Diablo
02/28/02 05:34 PM

I had an elemental construction system at one point. It worked on the basis of kilograms I think elementals were weighed at 350kg including moyamers and stuff. armour was 10kg per point. 100kg per extra walking/runnning mp. JJ's were 100 kg per jump mp. the rest was for weapons. all standard weapons are reduced 100 kgs.all ammo based weapons had 100kg of ammo. SMG's Small flammers were 25kg a piece. ECM was and extra 50kg. sensor jammers were 50kg. advanced sensors were 50kg. LRMs were delt with as for protomechs. and thats all I remember

Greyslayer
02/28/02 05:50 PM

Well you could always put a MPPC on it (M for Manpack I think). Its a advanced infantry heavy weapon platform. It can do damage to mechs and battlearmour but requires a squad of three infantry to operate. I'm not sure if I am completely correct but such a weapon should work on a Battlearmour, thus allowing a PPC (of sorts) on a Battlearmour chassis .

Greyslayer
Diablo
02/28/02 05:51 PM

we could make a really small micro PPC that weighs only 500 kilos but does only 5 damage.

KamikazeJohnson
02/28/02 05:52 PM

would that replace the SRM or the laser? From the sound of it, its a little large to be arm-mounted...
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Diablo
02/28/02 05:52 PM

it could be mounted on the shoulder of a Kanzuchi armour.

Greyslayer
02/28/02 06:00 PM

Well lets say it is certainly no heavier than any of the other weapons used on current elementals. The backpack (battery) may need to be mounted on the back as the weapon may drain the elemental too much of power (so discard the launcher for a powerpack, do note though this would probably be a IS only upgrade. I never heard of the clammies having those kind of anti-mech weapons for their stock infantry).

Greyslayer
Diablo
02/28/02 06:05 PM

yes I agree. pull the laser for the PPC and the pack for the power. also Clan elementals are all about killing mech. there entire load out (save for the SMG or what ever) is ment to kill mechs. thet don't go to extreams because they don't have to.

CrayModerator
03/01/02 07:59 AM

The Man-Pack PPC is an old BT standby from TR:3026 and MW1 RPG. It was about 40kg, lighter than the medium laser of the Kanazuccini.

It also only did ~2pts of damage to mechs. Putting smaller PPCs on battle armor is a quick fluff change - just declare the existing small, ER small, or medium lasers to be PPCs of similar performance.

And I'd like to see RLs on battle armor, too.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
novakitty
03/01/02 09:04 AM

Semi-portable particle cannon. It's in the rules. If you have the documents to create your own elementals, they are in the standard equipment options.
meow
Diablo
03/01/02 04:14 PM

then whats the point? oh yea! I brought it up!

NathanKell
03/01/02 07:50 PM

RLs. Yeah, and wouldn't *that* be sweet. You could even count them as a bunch of RL-1s, maybe...hellooo LAW! (a *real* one, I mean )
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
Nightward
03/01/02 07:50 PM

Hmm.

Well, Elementals are already 'Modular', as they can take a variety of hardpoint weapons. But the LRM idea is very interesting, as is upping the Small to a Medium (I assume this would be done at the expense of all other weapons.).

I would not mind seeing Elementals with a 4-rack of SRMs (one-shot) and/or ER Small Lasers...
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Greyslayer
03/01/02 07:57 PM

Yep and once the Elemental has fired just wrap the elemental around the tree to make sure it can't be used against you later .... whoops too much real military training .

Greyslayer
Karagin
03/03/02 04:56 PM

Thank you but do to the need to be civil I am asking you not to take part in this thread as to prevent any kind of flame war and to avoid usless ranting and raving.

Thank you.
Karagin

Karagin
03/03/02 04:57 PM

The idea is to come up with some thing better and more usful then the Protomechs.
Karagin

Bob_Richter
03/03/02 05:43 PM

Read further, foolish one...:)

Karagin
03/03/02 06:51 PM

It is a simple request, I do not want your input since it leads to nothing but hostile comments and arguements.
Karagin

NathanKell
03/03/02 07:14 PM

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Also, please do not take this as a personal attack, but more the amused musings of a (more often than not) bystander rather than gladiator.
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
Greyslayer
03/03/02 07:25 PM

Hey that pot is 'blacker'!

Greyslayer
Karagin
03/03/02 08:47 PM

Joke or not, I am serious, I am not going to respond to anything he post to my threads and will not respond to his, simple and easy and if he CAN NOT get the hint that I don't want his input well that is his problem.
Karagin

Karagin
03/03/02 08:58 PM

So far the idea of an MPPPC is interesting, and I think it would work...same for LRMs.

Maybe going as far as having pods for the elementals would be the next big step for the Clans which would give them a lot of flexibility over the IS once again.
Karagin

Bob_Richter
03/03/02 11:39 PM

Don't look now, Karagin, but you just responded to one of my ideas.

Greyslayer
03/04/02 12:49 AM

I have no information as to whether the clams actually use MPPCs. That would institute that the clams use their unarmoured infantry for something more than just sitting on a front gate somewhere. They could do since I have virtually no clam source info (waste of my time having it to start with), I would need someone to quote a source for me to change my mind on this one.

Greyslayer
Bob_Richter
03/04/02 01:04 AM

Even if they DON'T have them, they undoubtedly have the info they need to MAKE them.

And if Elemental suits could accept them as primary weapons, you'd think they would.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 18554

Contact Admins Sarna.net