The Eleventh Point

Pages: 1
Bob_Richter
03/04/02 02:22 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
So here I am in my Battle Armor. Suddenly some jerk in a Warhammer takes a shot at me. At least he missed with ONE PPC, but now I'm an unharmed guy in underwear with an SRM pack on my back, a Small Laser on my arm, and a jump pack. I'm super-jump-infantry! YAAY!

Um. Gack. Somehow that doesn't seem quite right to me for some reason...

Does that seem wrong to anyone else?

So, I was thinking: Why not remove the eleventh point?

By the time the Battle Armor is immolated, surely the guy inside is in no condition to fight? Or haul around that 2-ton backpack or that 1-ton primary weapon mount...

Of course, now I've severely crippled Battle Armor.

Um. Gack.

Any ideas?
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Greyslayer
03/04/02 02:43 AM

Well quite possibly there is armour and there is internal structure in most other units (including the slight larger protomechs). Why not have a 'crit' roll for when all the armour is removed and there is only the pilot? Equipment could fall off, the elemental becomes unable to jump, it loses the ability to travel on mechs and so on. These results could be represented however you like. BA is treated fairly simple in the battletech game itself, but some house rules if you use them alot could be factored in (we just use the rule from Max Tech which can remove a almost undamaged unit if need be).

Greyslayer
CrayModerator
03/04/02 08:42 AM

I didn't think this was much different than stripping the armor off a mech's location. BA is just so small its "internal structure" doesn't register as a full point; the dude inside and internal structure are counted as a single point.

So, I'm all for keeping that last point.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
KamikazeJohnson
03/04/02 03:42 PM

I'm with Bob on this one...the eleventh point is what makes BA so dangerous...you simply can't kill one with one hit! An Awesome, for example, would need to hit with 10 shots (100 dmg) to take out a full point that consists of only 55 armor points. Note also that you could increase the BA's armor to, say, 15, with very little effect :-\

That 11th point is huge
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Hellbringer
03/04/02 07:32 PM

I agree. Battle Armor can take a lot, but heavy auto-cannon and PPCs should take them down in one shot. Heck, the electrical problems caused by even a glancing PPC blow should cause a lot of problems y'know.
"But it SHOULD be a spectacle! It should be grand and exciting to us all! I'd hate to think that we've become so jaded that we find even our greatest tiumph, resurrecting the Star League, simply one more obligation."
-General Victor Steiner-Davion (First Prince and Archon in exile) 3064
Nightmare
03/05/02 12:58 AM

Use the Capellan Inferno-IV.
Advice for Evil Overlords:
My legions of terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 83 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3012

Contact Admins Sarna.net