Can Elementals..

Pages: 1
TRYCORP
03/31/02 05:06 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Can Elementals hop onto non-omni mechs? It says in Compendium they can't but they work with second line mechs on garrison too so why not?
"Machine Guns! Thats a Summoner out there! Do you plan to punch little holes in it, and have it fall down from too much ventilation!?!"

TRYCORP
Clan Nova Cat
novakitty
03/31/02 07:26 PM

The customization to add hand-holds for elementals should be inconsequential.
meow
TenakaFurey
04/01/02 05:07 AM

How about this:

The customisation - i.e. handholds - is not important. Its simple.

What is more problematic is the gyro. The mass of an Elemental is not insubstantial and taxces the gyro - especially on lighter mechs. Gyros on Omnis are bettera bel to deal with shifting weights and centers of gravity due to their ability to be customised. Thus, they are better able to deal with the changes involved.

Liao gets around thsi by fittign their suits with magnetic clamps, allowing their troopers to move to compensate. The disadavantage is extra training time and troopers that are less fresh when they arrive at the battle.

OK?

EJL

TRYCORP
04/01/02 01:22 PM

Oh sorry I didn't realize I could add them on.
"Machine Guns! Thats a Summoner out there! Do you plan to punch little holes in it, and have it fall down from too much ventilation!?!"

TRYCORP
Clan Nova Cat
novakitty
04/01/02 02:48 PM

My point is that the handholds are not mentioned on any technical readouts, no crits or tonnage was devoted to them, so adding such holds to any existing mech should require little effort.

My personal opinion about the gyro point mentioned: Add a +1 to piloting rolls for every 5 tons of elemental on the mech.
meow
Hellbringer
04/02/02 11:18 AM

Isn't 5 tons of Elemental an entire point?
"But it SHOULD be a spectacle! It should be grand and exciting to us all! I'd hate to think that we've become so jaded that we find even our greatest tiumph, resurrecting the Star League, simply one more obligation."
-General Victor Steiner-Davion (First Prince and Archon in exile) 3064
TRYCORP
04/02/02 07:59 PM

As far as cargo space is concerned yes( I think) Its either 5 elementals is 1 ton of cargo space or 1 elemental is 1 ton. I will look in the book..

TRYCORP
Clan Nova Cat
Bob_Richter
04/02/02 09:12 PM

Officially, no.

But I don't see what's so frickin' hard about welding some carrying handles on. Sure, ONLY Omnis can carry power armor. Yeah. THAT'S the ticket. Talk about stupid.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Bob_Richter
04/02/02 09:14 PM

The Battlemech's gyroscope handily compensates for increases of up to 1/10th its mass (hand-carried cargo), and decreases up to the majority of its mass (battle damage.) This is not a problem.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Karagin
04/03/02 12:07 AM

In some of the novels and fluff it's mention that some commanders have bars welded on to the non-omnis so the elementals can ride along, so I think they could do so if something like that was done...

Another case of the rules and the fluff not matching up...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Greyslayer
04/03/02 12:10 AM

Yes though funny the difference these supposed 5 tons of infantry don't make (yet picking up a 2 ton medium pulse laser suddenly gives me problems if I am in a dasher my movement suddenly 1/2 of what it is), I've always had a problem with this.

Greyslayer
Karagin
04/03/02 12:35 AM

The entire cargo rules for both mechs and vehicles is so messed up that it's not funny...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Nightmare
04/03/02 04:08 AM

The Elementals might be helping you along with their own
jump packs, just so you don`t lose movement...
Advice for Evil Overlords:
My legions of terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice.
Greyslayer
04/03/02 04:38 AM

So you use force (upwards I guess) to lighten weight? Now say you tilt left this upward force would put undue strain on the gyro creating piloting modifiers that would be worse than without the jets on. Its 5 tons on a mech regardless of how you look at it. Handlebars or no it breaches the carry capacity for those mechs 50 tons and lighter.

Greyslayer
Nightmare
04/03/02 09:05 AM

I seem to have forgotten the smiley. But IIRC the 10% weight
limit has to do with how much a mech can lift with it`s hands,
not how much it can carry.
Advice for Evil Overlords:
My legions of terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice.
Greyslayer
04/03/02 06:15 PM

It doesn't say how much it can carry with its hands at all (afterall a good % of mechs don't even have hands but the rules exist for all mechs). Even if say I had a form of carrying weight on a mech's back the rule exists (such as a mech sling).

Greyslayer
Diablo
04/04/02 04:57 PM

if elementals can swarm, they can ride!
if tech's can weld, they can ride!
if a clan commander says ride, they can ride!

basicly an elemental can ride anything. so long as there is the proper mods.
the real question is can lementals ride vehicls or VTOL/aero?
"whats that bluish fuzzy thing on your head?"
-Luciphear to Talis, just before he exploded.

www.geocitis.com/luciph34r
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 73 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6565

Contact Admins Sarna.net