Are Streak LRMs Munchy?

Pages: 1
Karagin
04/03/02 03:34 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Is the idea of the Clans having reached the level of technology that they can apply Streak level of guidance to the LRMs munchy or not?

Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
KamikazeJohnson
04/03/02 03:51 PM

I don't think so...true, Streak LRMs would be a massive dominating factor against IS foes, but relative to other long-range weapons systems, I think LRMs have been greatly outclassed for a long time. I mean...consider LRM 20 vs GR...GR has superior range, less heat, higher average damage (not to mention concentrated), and less of a minimum. ERPPCs take fewer crits, have longer range, more damage, no ammo, and no minimum...a small price to pay for higher heat output. Streak technology allows LRMs to live up to their damage potential (LRM 20 does 20 damage, not a mere 12!) and conserves ammo on these perpetually ammo-starved weapons.
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
CrayModerator
04/03/02 03:52 PM

I've been thinking about that since seeing the Streak MRM debate on CBT.

Streak LRMs. Let's see.

The SLRM 5 does 5 points at 21 hexes for 3 tons. Not bad, but about the same as 2 normal Clan LRM 5s. Better weight than ACs of comparable range and/or damage. Better range than energy weapons of comparable damage and weight. But only 5pts of damage. Not munchy, IMO.

The SLRM10 is in the same boat as the SLRM 5, but it is now competing with the ER LL...more range, damage in one location (not 2x 5pt groups), no ammo, 2/3 the weight, less volume. Also, the Clan ER PPC beats the SLRM 10 in all but heat, and ditto for the Clan Pulse LL. The SLRM 10 may be munchy on an absolute scale, but then the Clan ER LL, PLL and ER PPC are munchier.

The SLRM 15 and SLRM20 are thoroughly outclassed by several Clan weapons: Clan GR, Clan Pulse Large Laser, Clan ER PPC, Clan ER LL. The Clan GR comes off well against the SLRM 20, but less so against the lighter SLRM 15. Again, the SLRMs may be munchy on an absolute scale, but there are munchier Clan weapons out there.

In conclusion: the SLRM 5 offers a unique balance of range, damage, and low weight that other Clan weapons lack. If not for being only a 5pt damage weapon, it would be munchy. The other Streak LRMs fall behind the performance of other Clan weapons of comparable tonnage and damage, meaning they are less munchy than those other Clan weapons.

The above is all IMO.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Greyslayer
04/03/02 06:34 PM

For a clam it could be okay to go streak but there are several advantages of the standard launchers over the Streak Versions.

1) Less Weight as you have covered, double the number of launchers gives the firing unit potentially way more damage than the respective streak unit.

2) Alternate Ammo loads. As far as I know Streaks are unable to effectively utilise other useful ammo types thus limiting them to a solitary combat philosophy.

3) No indirect firing. For me this is a big negative, you lose the real ability of LRMs which is as a support weapon. This is part of the flexibility of the system that has allowed it to survive as long as it has on the battlefield of the 31st century.

4) Every missile shot down automatically cuts down damage that is launched at you (not just potential damage). This like the ATM becomes a bane.

This can be partially outweighed by these advantages of the streak system.

1) Heat efficient, streaks have the uncanny ability to generate no heat when they miss allowing you to attempt to hit with enough weapons to effectively shut down but unless you lock on with everything you will not have to worry about that and if you did then poor target.

2) Ammo efficient, you could mount 2 Streak LRM 5s to one ton of ammo and still last a majority of a conflict due to the ability that it only fires when a solid lock is encountered. Lower crits of ammo also equals less chance of ammo explosion due to damage.

3) In level 3 rules there is no such thing as glancing blows due to the streak technology. You either lock and hit solid or you don't hit at all. This might by-pass several weather condition rules as well making the system very versatile in that level of play.

It has its uses but I find it would be more restrictive to the way I play over any real advantages it gives.

Greyslayer
Diablo
04/04/02 04:24 PM

I don't use them much but, when placed en masse in a LRM boat, the damage can get kinda munchy. 4 Streak LRM 20's or 16 LRM 5's (my favorite) can deliver massive amounts of fire almost too effectivly. let's say that only half of the above hit, thats still 40 damage. and the rest don't waste ammo or generate heat. special orderances don't come into play often with me. and indirectfire I find better suited to arty. so in my oinion, I'd rather stick to regualr LRM's.
"whats that bluish fuzzy thing on your head?"
-Luciphear to Talis, just before he exploded.

www.geocitis.com/luciph34r
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3827

Contact Admins Sarna.net