Pages: 1
Karagin
04/10/02 12:44 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Okay here is a really far out idea:

The REAL Thomas Marik is running WOB...

Comments?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Hellbringer
04/10/02 02:14 AM

I had not thought of that. That is a really good question...very myterious. Better get Scooby-Doo and the gang in on this.
"But it SHOULD be a spectacle! It should be grand and exciting to us all! I'd hate to think that we've become so jaded that we find even our greatest tiumph, resurrecting the Star League, simply one more obligation."
-General Victor Steiner-Davion (First Prince and Archon in exile) 3064
Black_Phoenix
04/10/02 07:28 AM

"Comments?"

Yeah. Lay off of the "wacky tobaccy". It's making you ask questions like this one again.
History is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.
-Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz

Karagin
04/10/02 01:18 PM

Actually I am being serious...all the hints in Storms seems to point to it...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
raven
04/10/02 04:28 PM

and the *fake* Thomas Marik is a clone of Jerome Blake.

Hellbringer
04/10/02 05:09 PM

Get this, Thelma is gonna pull off the mask and it gonna be, dum, dum, DUM...Maximillian Liao!!! HEE HEE

Seriously, I believe that this idea has merit. It would be a good and believable twist to the story.
"But it SHOULD be a spectacle! It should be grand and exciting to us all! I'd hate to think that we've become so jaded that we find even our greatest tiumph, resurrecting the Star League, simply one more obligation."
-General Victor Steiner-Davion (First Prince and Archon in exile) 3064
SuperCharger
04/10/02 09:48 PM

In reply to:

Okay here is a really far out idea:

The REAL Thomas Marik is running WOB...

Well, that's the implication given in Storms of Fate (as you mention in a later post). Thing is, given the information that Real Thomas Marik is alive, well, and in WOB, and (later in the book) part of WOB wants to actively help Victor in the Civil War, I conclude there are at least 2, possibly 3 factions in WOB:

1) The "surface" WOB, nominally led by Precentor Blaine, that for all intents tries to be the old ComStar
2) Real Thomas Marik's group, which has infiltrated Blaine's WOB, and siphoned off significant FWL and WOB funds to bankroll their own operations
3) (possible) one faction that wants to help Victor in the Civil War

I mentioned the last one as a possible separate group because demiPrecentor Shakov was approached in the book, and although it was made clear they wanted to support Victor's forces, it wasn't made clear who they were. The simplest explanation would probably be the Real TM faction wanted to help Victor, but I think there's an unanswered question that clouds the issue a bit:

Who killed (kidnapped) Arthur Steiner-Davion?

It wouldn't make sense for Real TM WOB to both stage Arthur's death and help Victor. Well, unless you count WOB's general fanaticism; perhaps Real Thomas had a revelation or something. So, it's possible Blaine's WOB faction grabbed Arthur, and Real Thomas is trying to stop their plans somehow. I remember reading somewhere that Blaine was selected to "lead" WOB because he was the leader of a somewhat moderate group; that and his work to legitimize WOB, even getting them a seat on the Star League Council, suggests to me Blaine really isn't the man to follow outrageous schemes.

Demona Aziz, former ComStar Precentor Atreus, however, is. And there are probably dozens of others that fit this mold, too. So, my working conspiracy theory is one WOB faction (possibly directed/influenced by Aziz) ignited the Civil War by staging the death of Arthur. These are probably also the people responsible for killing Morgan Hasek-Davion. Another WOB faction has remained secret until now, is run by the Real Thomas Marik, has stolen vast sums of cash from the FWL and the surface WOB, and appears to want to help Victor win the Civil War. And then there's the mainstream WOB, run by Precentor Blaine, that has apparently spent so much time in political manuevering and looking benevolent that they've missed the other more insidious forces in their own midst.

That's just a working theory, and a very involved, confusing one at that. And I may change my mind tomorrow. Thoughts? Anyone?
The_Nice_Guy
04/15/02 08:39 AM

I would say that the insidious, dark faction within WoB is quite likely to be controlled by the real Tommy Marik. The people who kidnapped Arthur talked of a certain Master they had to answer to; that could very well be Tommy.

The siphoning of funds from the FWL must also be put to less than upright causes, in order for the dark age to come about. The 10 cercent they have stolen from the FWL outweighs the surface WOB's own 5 percent, which makes it very likely they have vast resources built up and ready for some nefarious purpose.

Even the small blurb by the Wobbies to 'help' Victor on Tikonov could be part of their plan to keep the two forces in the civil war as balanced as possible, so that the winner ends up even more badly smashed. They definitely do not want either Kat or Victor to gain a quick and easy victory! They will drag out the civil war for as long as possible.

The Nice Guy
Beyond common courage. The mark of a true soldier.
SuperCharger
04/21/02 04:53 AM

All good points. Consider my conspiracy theory so amended.

EXCEPT: Thinking a little about it, I think it's possible the Wobbies helping Victor are Blaine's people. Blaine, Marik and friends may have discovered just how far Real TM has gone, and may have realized they will need the help of Victor and his allies (including ComStar) to save themselves from Real Thomas. The reasons I think this is that Blaine supposedly thinks reunification with ComStar is possible, and (according to the fluff material for the upcoming novels) Marik somehow becomes an ally of Victor's.

I do think this is a remote possibility though, and the most likely situation is that Real TM's allies are trying to keep the Civil War going as long as possible.

Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 199 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3663

Contact Admins Sarna.net