Tsunami Personal Guass Rifles

Pages: 1
Hellbringer
04/10/02 02:22 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I have been reading the BT novel Sword and Fire. In the book the DEST teams' Kage battlesuits assigned to Task Force Serpent can carry personal scale guass rifles called Tsunamis. Does anyone know the stats or playing rules for these things? They seemed really high tech, I mean nothing your average soldier would ever see, but maybe later in the 3060s these things became more prevelant. Does MW 3rd Edition say anything about them?
"But it SHOULD be a spectacle! It should be grand and exciting to us all! I'd hate to think that we've become so jaded that we find even our greatest tiumph, resurrecting the Star League, simply one more obligation."
-General Victor Steiner-Davion (First Prince and Archon in exile) 3064
Nightward
04/10/02 04:52 AM

They were supposed to be the ultimate in anti Elemental weaponry, but as far as I know there were never any special rules for them. So far, the only application of Gauss technology to infantry use is the MagShot Rifles of the Infiltrator II; the major reason for this would be the presence of the Gyrojet Carbine, which stands an even better chance of pasting Elementals, IIRC.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
NathanKell
04/10/02 01:19 PM

ISTR them being in MW2e Companion's equipment guide. Perhaps also in Lostech (MW3e equipment).
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
Hellbringer
04/10/02 10:46 PM

Isupposed the DEST troopers took the Tsunami over any other heavy personal weapon because it is a lot quieter than stuff like man-pack PPCs and heavy gyroslug rifles.
"But it SHOULD be a spectacle! It should be grand and exciting to us all! I'd hate to think that we've become so jaded that we find even our greatest tiumph, resurrecting the Star League, simply one more obligation."
Nightward
04/11/02 03:24 AM

The Tsunami (I think it was Tsuami, but that might have been a typo) appeared in the MechWarrior Companion. Anyway, it was described as being an Infantry weapon, which I took to mean was used by unarmoured Infantry platoons. The DEST use Blazer Carbines and heavy pistols, plus the everpresent Vibrokatana. The Davions had another Man-Portable Gauss Rifle, and it had better ranges and damage than the Kuritan one.

The DEST do not use Tsunami (Tsuami?) rifles at all; just the Blazers, Strensnachst (or whatever it is), Minolta Sniper Rifle, and Sunbeam/Nakjama gear. Everything else is either too hard to maintain or resupply.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Hellbringer
04/11/02 11:43 AM

Maybe not all the DEST do, but the ones in Task Force Serpent certainly did. And since they were about the only DEST units left in the Inner Sphere...well. I won't quote from the book because that isn't worth our time. Yes the DEST do usually carry Blazer Carbines, but although they are heavier, the Tsunamis are better Elemental killers and much quieter than the Blazers. The stealth needed for their mission was better fitted to the gauss rifles specifications.
NathanKell
04/11/02 11:53 AM

First, I'm not disputing your facts, as I remember reading that as well, but...let's look at this stealth issue:

Lasers: can't really be seen, make no sound, have no recoil (and thus you don't make noise suppressing it)
vs.
Gauss rifles: path of projectile through the air can be seen, enormous crack! sound of the projectile as its hypersonic, have a goodly amount of recoil.

Gee, which would *you* pick?
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
novakitty
04/11/02 12:31 PM

I would go with the one that can make a 2cm hole through the target elemental's armor with one shot.
meow
Nightward
04/12/02 01:33 AM

The Blazer Carbine has long been the DEST and ISF's weapon of choice, established in many novels and sourceboks. And my next point: the Blazer does a *LOT* nore damage than the Tsuami, but it has a shorter range. Ah, well.
Diablo
02/22/03 02:37 AM

just cuz I'm pro gauss, I would pick the gauss rifle. just cuz i like the sound of a nickle Iron slug impacting at speed faster than the speed of sound. Lasers are fine and all, but in my opinion, only if their attatched to an unlimited power supply (i.e. mech fusion engine) and are large enough to all but incinerate the elemental. another point is that the cold nickle iron slug has a smaller chance of setting off the large missiles attatched to the back of the elemental. a laser could have. thus screwing over your strategy. the commander was wise and saw this and compensated ofr it and told his snipers to use a weapon that had the smallest chance of detonating things un nessassarily, and thus the gauss rifles. also, the laser would take a half second to go through the faceplate of an elemental. thus giving him time to react. not a lot, but knowing them, they could have the reflexes to move away causeing a less sevear burn or get some sort of signal off.

and as to lasers not being seen, the elementals have IR filers and could have seen the laser.
"whats that bluish fuzzy thing on your head?"
-Luciphear to Talis, just before he exploded.

www.geocitis.com/luciph34r
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5826

Contact Admins Sarna.net