Could Katherine have killed Hanse?

Pages: 1
Karagin
04/23/02 08:55 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I know it sounds far fetched but what do you folks think?

Could she have done him in and made it look like a heart attack?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
novakitty
04/23/02 10:03 PM

If I am not mistaken, there are drugs that cause death by inducing a heart attack available now (early 21st century for those of you too detached to remember). Although detection methods would have improved by then, elegance (for lack of a better term) in the assasin's trade would have also increased greatly.
I find it possible. I will make no judgement about feasability, but I do find it possible.
meow
NathanKell
04/23/02 10:49 PM

Darn, can't find the post...but IIRC Cray had this great story with Hanse surviving due to a love for hot wings, and Katherine slipping in the shower and breaking her neck on hearing the news that her plan didn't work.
Maybe you'll be a good sport and repost it, Cray?

Anyway...I certainly think it's possible, if not likely! Means, motive, and opportunity.
Plus I just don't see Hanse
a. not having excellent {*preventive*} medical care, especially on an world like New Avalon with SL-era Golden Age technology, including medical equipment (and, of course, the NAIS).
b. If he didn't take good enough care of himself, Melissa certainly would.
c. Smart (and un-myopic) man that he is he'd see the consequences of working himself to death and--for the FedCom, not himself--take better care.

Then again, at least a jump jet didn't do him in
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
Black_Phoenix
04/23/02 10:55 PM

What are the chances that another faction that no one likes (such as Cap. Con. or the Wobblies) putting Katherine "Ice Queen" Steiner out of everyone's misery?

Just a thought.
History is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.
-Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz

Karagin
04/23/02 11:43 PM

Why would they do that? So far the Fed-Com is killing it's self and that is great as far as all of it's enemies are concerned...
Karagin

Hellbringer
04/24/02 12:12 AM

If they had killed Hanse, they never could have foreseen this Civil War so long after his death. And besides WOB and Comstar had only been split a short while before Hanse death. I could vote for Katherine killing Hanse, but she was a little young, at the time of Hanse's death she was still learning to be the back-stabbing bitch that everyone loves today.
"But it SHOULD be a spectacle! It should be grand and exciting to us all! I'd hate to think that we've become so jaded that we find even our greatest tiumph, resurrecting the Star League, simply one more obligation."
-General Victor Steiner-Davion (First Prince and Archon in exile) 3064
Karagin
04/24/02 12:21 AM

Could be that knocking off poor daddy was pratice for killing mom?
Karagin

CrayModerator
04/24/02 07:18 AM

Well, I HAVE speculated about this in some semi-fanfic I did called "Acid Reflux." She loaded his food with LDL to speed a heart attack. Entirely fictional speculation, but about the only way you can explain a heart attack in a healthy 60-something man on a planet where the average lifespan is over 100.

Is it plausible? In terms of motivation, certainly. She whacked mom without batting an eye. She split up her inheritance as a short-sighted grab for power. Killing Hanse is within the realm of possibility for Kat.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Hellbringer
04/24/02 11:11 AM

Drugging Hanse to give him a heart attack dosen't fit her MO. She did not physically kill Melissa, she hired someone to do it. She might have hired someone to kill Hanse, but she was too young to have contacts like that. Besides, for most of the time leading to Hanses death he was on New Avalon, weren't all the children raised on Tharkad? She didn't go to Outreach with them all.
"But it SHOULD be a spectacle! It should be grand and exciting to us all! I'd hate to think that we've become so jaded that we find even our greatest tiumph, resurrecting the Star League, simply one more obligation."
Karagin
04/24/02 11:18 AM

One would think that with BOTH New Avalon and Tharkad being the capitals of the FC that she would have spent time on New Avalon at some point...

And the idea here is she had her dad done in...not saying she herself actually put the posion in the food or what not BUT HAD IT DONE. Which means she hired someone else to do it...

So it matter little if Hanse was New Avalon...a simple asking of mommy where daddy is would give her the info and thus allow her to tell her assassin...
Karagin

Hellbringer
04/24/02 11:20 AM

I just cannot credit Katherine with this ambitiousness so early in her life.
Karagin
04/24/02 11:43 AM

Why not? She has shown that to her family is nothing more then an obstical in the way to power...so why not start young...
Karagin

NathanKell
04/24/02 04:18 PM

Plus she was at least 18 or so...

And she *was* raised on NA. That was the grand irony, that Vic was raised on Tharkad and she on New Avalon.
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
Karagin
04/24/02 07:25 PM

18 years of age...puts here second in line to inherit...all that is preventing it is three people...oh look one died of a heart attack...and wait another died tragically in a bomb blast...and the only leaves poor Victor...
Karagin

NathanKell
04/24/02 07:38 PM

Makes me wonder what other strange events occured between '52 and '58...those where son and mother were both due to attend, but didn't...
For after all Vic *was* due to be there with Melissa when the bomb went off...
Thomas Jefferson
Karagin
04/24/02 08:07 PM

Man it seems that the trail of dead bodies and blood is getting bigger and bigger and Katherine is up to her pretty little neck in it...

I wonder if she inherited the Stiener gene that caused them to go nuts...it's in the Lyran House Sourcebook but I can't remember the name of it...that would be the perfect out for her, but maybe that is over played...but it's still and option.
Karagin

Hellbringer
04/24/02 08:23 PM

Ok my bad, I thought that all the kids were raised on Tharkad. That IS a grand irony though.
Hellbringer
04/24/02 08:24 PM

I bet she is really a clone of Romano Liao. :-P
novakitty
04/24/02 08:51 PM

That would explain a few things...
meow
Karagin
04/24/02 11:17 PM

Anything is possible...

But what I am refering to is in the House Stiener Sourcebook...
Karagin

NathanKell
04/24/02 11:19 PM

Dobroski-A (B?) Depression syndrome.

{edit:} Page 18 HS SB
In reply to:

...the family suffers from Dobrowski's Depression-A Syndrome, a genetic predisposition to sever mental depression. Though it can usually be controlled by medication, certain family memebers have been afflicted to the extent that no help was possible. Simon Steiner was the family's most famous victim of uncontrollabe Depression-A Syndrome. Though he was in line to be Archon-Designate, his mental illness deprived him of the right of succession.
This Syndrome might also explain the high number of artists in the family and their fascination with the dreary worlds like Gallery, with its wild and desolate landscape.

Thomas Jefferson

Edited by NathanKell (04/24/02 11:23 PM)
Karagin
04/24/02 11:38 PM

That would be it...this could be the fall back that FP uses with her and why she did the things she did...thanks for posting the info.
Karagin

Nightmare
04/25/02 12:32 AM

Why would you kill people if you were depressed?
More likely she`s got whatever the Liao family are
suffering from.
Advice for Evil Overlords:
My legions of terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice.
Karagin
04/25/02 01:01 AM

Let's see they have what you want BUT won't give it to you, ie the throne of the FC...so would want the depression to end so you have the problems removed.

I am sure they can tie the depression and her actions together...
Karagin

Bob_Richter
04/25/02 02:19 AM

>>>Why would you kill people if you were depressed? <<<

Why wouldn't you?

It seems to make Steiners feel better.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
SuperCharger
04/26/02 09:00 PM

Victor was raised on Tharkad, because he was the heir and the Lyran loyalists wanted him to have a Lyran education to counter the Davion genetics (what a plan *that* turned out to be). Victor did get to spend a year on New Avalon at the New Avalon Military Academy, but the rest of his martial training was at the Nagelring.

The rest of the children were raised on New Avalon (guess the Lyrans just didn't care about their "Davion" upbringing). I'm not sure where the Ice Princess went to college, if she ever bothered; her schedule has always been so full with all her "I feel your pain" speeches to the people and her parricide/regicide plans. Peter went to NAMA, Yvonne to NAIS, and Arthur to the War College (I think that's its name) on Robinson. Arthur then promptly had his death staged for him by WOB, of course...

(As an aside, I think there's a goof with letting Yvonne become FedCom Regent while Victor was fighting with the Clans. The age of majority for the First Prince is supposedly 21, yet Yvonne was only 19. Then again, Katherine deposed her in a matter of months anyway, so I guess it doesn't really matter.)
NathanKell
04/26/02 10:15 PM

The age of majority for the First Prince(ss) not the Prince(ss) Regent.
And that's the crux of Bob's (IIRC) legal argument--that she was only ever a regent, and that Katherine in depos...err, replacing...her only replaced a regent.
Thomas Jefferson
Cheapbuzz
04/27/02 06:45 PM

Anything is possible.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 144 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7815

Contact Admins Sarna.net