Mechwarrior: Dark Age

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Hellbringer
04/24/02 11:19 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Could someone give me a rundown on this whole Dark Age thing. I have seen glimpses of it on various sites, but I do not understand what is going on. Is it going to be a new game?
"But it SHOULD be a spectacle! It should be grand and exciting to us all! I'd hate to think that we've become so jaded that we find even our greatest tiumph, resurrecting the Star League, simply one more obligation."
-General Victor Steiner-Davion (First Prince and Archon in exile) 3064
Karagin
04/24/02 11:42 AM

MWDA is a game based off of the Mage Knight clich based system...or as some have said that rule set dropped into a sci-fi setting.

The idea is at some point the Inner Sphere suffers a war that makes the 4 Sucession Wars and the retaking of the SL from Amaris and all the other wars seem more like minor disagreements then wars. This war knocks all the high tech items out of the main stream. The Word Of Blake has soemthing to do with this war (starting it) and when it ends there are major changes in the Inner Sphere and the Clans.

The idea of whole armies fighting is there but the focus is now on armed work mechs and such since military grade weaponary is harder to come by and according to the given info one MECH is enough to take all of the armored cars and argomechs.

The basic plot line is a major war, followed by a dark age and while there is still fighting it's not on the scale or style as battletech..

Also there are no construction rules, and really no way for you the player to add in your own mechs or weapons, for an example of how the game will play out, go try Mage Knight and it's click based system.

Down in the OFF TOPIC board I posted a link to WK's MWDA site...that should help you out as well.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
NathanKell
04/24/02 04:15 PM

Err, hate to contradict, but IIRC that's not quite it plotwise.
The real shocker isn't that there's a major *war,* but a major *peace.*
After a spat of minor peace, WoB (somehow) manages to take over. Then a guy named Devlin Stone leads a giant revolution and destroys WoB; in the aftermath there is massive disarmament as Stone and company beat the whole IS (and clans too) into getting rid of all their weapons...or at least deactivating them.
Then, mysteriously, HPGs start breaking down (at least near where the story takes place) and Invaders start Invading.

More info at Mechwarrior: Dark Age, including a (very) short story by Mike Stackpole.

Patooie, in general, but maybe someone'll like it...
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
Karagin
04/24/02 07:24 PM

Point, more or less I was trying to sum things up...with out going off on things.
Karagin

Hellbringer
04/24/02 08:37 PM

What do you guys think, is it cool or not?
"But it SHOULD be a spectacle! It should be grand and exciting to us all! I'd hate to think that we've become so jaded that we find even our greatest tiumph, resurrecting the Star League, simply one more obligation."
Karagin
04/24/02 11:16 PM

Point one:

It is not Battletech, it is Mage Knight with a Scifi setting.

Point Two:

It is a collectiable minis game, where you buy a pakage of mechs and YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU GET. Thus the person who spends the most MONEY wins...

To me this is not a game I want to even touch...I don't have the money to waste on it and since I have a Battletech game why would I want to learn something that is set up to cater to kids ages 7 to 15? It will be nothing more then a fad and once it hit's the high water mark it will go away just like 70% of the CCGs out there...
Karagin

Acolyte
04/25/02 01:11 AM

It wouldn't be so bad, if they were planning to release some sourcebook material. At least then the universe could be used by either system. The Universe itself seems like fun (although the why of how it happened could use a lot of work).

Light a fire for a man, and you keep him warm for one night,
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Acolyte
Hellbringer
04/25/02 11:30 AM

The Dark Age site provides some decent background information, including a sweet story by Mike Stackpole.
Acolyte
04/25/02 12:08 PM

One story does not a sourcebook make.

Acolyte
Bob_Richter
04/25/02 04:11 PM

...in an essay or two...
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Greyslayer
04/25/02 04:58 PM

Well the most recent information has the now 'supposed' rule pamphlett out to 23 pages now go figure. And how many pages did battledriods have?

Greyslayer
SoyBigHead
04/26/02 12:08 AM

about the collectible minis part...

that seems the most interesting part to me (hate to break it to you, but ive NEVER played a *REAL* game of BT; it was the PC games and the fiction that drew me in) as i rather like the fact that you can buy a random boxed figure; it adds a suspenseful element. But yes I see what you mean when you say "buy more, win more" and how that would quickly take the fun out of it. Still, collecting them just for the way they look isnt harmful. Case in point, i think the new Mad Cat (I prefer the Clan name Timberwolf; sounds more menacing to me) looks awesome and would love to own one. Alas, I know of no stores around here in Va. that sell Btech stuff, or even Mage Knight. Also, about how big are they in inches?
"There are three types of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."
-Mark Twain

Edited by SoyBigHead (04/26/02 12:14 AM)
Cheapbuzz
04/26/02 04:34 PM

If you want then have fun with your Magetech I'll stick to to good ol Battletech.
Karagin
04/27/02 04:16 PM

If it floats your boat then have fun... but remember it's NOT Battletech you are playing...
Karagin

Karagin
04/27/02 04:17 PM

Around that...maybe a few more...can look later tonight or tomorrow.
Karagin

Acolyte
04/28/02 11:09 AM

The problem is that there doesn't seem to be any plans in the works for a sourcebook. One of the major complaints that jordan and the others had was that there was too much reading for new players to do to get into B-Tech. They felt that this was intimidating for newbies, and was driving them away.

Acolyte
Karagin
04/28/02 02:16 PM

To much reading...never thought I would hear that one. What is this country coming to if reading a rule book and it's supplments is considered TO MUCH reading...I really would hate to see what is actually being taught to the kids in school today...is Television Watching a class now? How about Playstation 101?

The thing about battletech is you don't NEED the other books to play, all you need is the BMR-R, the box set to have the cardboard figures and the maps, a single pair of dice and you are set to go.

You don't need anything else to enjoy the game...
Karagin

NathanKell
04/28/02 03:26 PM

But you do to enjoy the universe.

Which, after all, is the point of Battletech.
Note that I'm not saying anything should be tossed out--I, for one, absolutely *love* the deepness of this universe. But BT really needs a modern version of the 3025 setting, where there isn't 40 years of backstory since the last quick summary.

The great thing about 3025 was that, basically, you could be a mercenary, house unit, etc. and have sufficient flavor, *just* by reading (for example, how I started) the 3rd ed house summary and historical summary--all of maybe 5 pages. If you wanted more detailed history there were the House Books, Mechwarrior 2nd (with a *great* history section, sadly absent from 3e) and many, many novels.
But you didn't *need* all that to understand the universe--it was pretty much the middle ages in space.

Now it's so complicated that there's no easy entry point--sure, you can still start in 3025, but nothing really been written about that period in over a decade! And if you want to play with all the neat new stuff/factions/what-have-you {the main draw, because new stuff is "cool"} you have an equipment list four times as long as before, at least three separate tech bases, and a rulebook (BMR) nearly ten times as large as the BT boxed set's.

Now, if they set up the new clicktech thing as an enhanced large-unit combat system (a bit like Battlespace/BF) and marketed it *that* way to old gamers we'd have something to go for, as well as giving new blood a good starting point.

But they didn't, did they!
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
KamikazeJohnson
04/28/02 04:35 PM

>>As for the Novels, yes thats a problem. But they are not going to make another story set in the '25 era, thats not the 'present'. I do miss the 4rth SuccWars though. <<

I think one of the problems with the BT universe is that too many of the novels were "spine" novels, dealing with major events and characters, because that requires a constant evolution of the universe. However, there's no end to the number of stories that can be written about a single person or group of 'Mechwarriors set during one of the Succession Wars, because there were simply thousands of battles...pick one and write about it. Many authors (Fantasy more than Sci-Fi, but some of those too) write stories that overlap with each other, often covering the same characters and events from a different perspective. I see no reason why someone couldn't write a story now, but set during the Fourth Succession war, or even the 1st. As long as it's made clear early on where it fits in the timeline.

Or maybe Harry Turtledove can write an Alternate History of the First Succession War
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Cheapbuzz
04/28/02 07:10 PM

"Two for those who wish to defeat the evil Clans" That all comes down to perspective, most clans are more civil than some of the Houses. With the execption of the Turtle Bay incident.
Acolyte
04/29/02 09:02 AM

Ya, 3025 is the way to go, or perhaps 3030. There are decades there with almost nothing written about them.

I for one would applaude a MechWarrior 3025 RPG or some such.

Acolyte
Karagin
04/29/02 09:11 AM

That idea has come up before where some of the fans have stated that having three time frames supported would allow the entire background to fleshed in and those that don't want to play with high tech toys would have the 3025 time and those that wanted Star League (old) and the newer time group would have their area to play in. But alas FASA didn't go for it.

And forget any more scenario packs...according to a rumor from FanPro, they won't put any out because they claim they don't sell, funny those are among some of the hardest items to get...but hey what do the fans know...
Karagin

Acolyte
04/29/02 09:20 AM

Ah, well....... Back to the keyboard for me.......

I've been finding lately that what I want quite often isn't around. So, eventually, I realised that if I want something, I make it (if it isn't available). I use word to write rules, I use Cold-Mold to cast Maraders, I use Maya to make pics, ect.

Acolyte
Karagin
04/29/02 09:24 AM

Wow...that is what I am up to...building what I want and paying lip service to the offical line...still supporting it, but not sure where it's going...

Now if I can only get the casting technique down pat I will be all set...
Karagin

Acolyte
04/29/02 09:39 AM

Casting takes time and money. At least you can reclaim the metal if you screw up. In fact, I've found that it is actually more expensive to make your own mini's than to buy them, but it's the only way to get the unseen outside of eBay. One advantage I find, is that I cast the mini as one piece. This makes them stronger, and you can't tell the difference once they're painted.

Same thing with book. They cost more in printer ink than just buying a similar book in the store. But........ I think it's worth it.

Acolyte
Cheapbuzz
04/29/02 09:59 AM

So which molds do you have?
Acolyte
04/29/02 11:02 AM

Just Marader. Trying to decide which next, given limited funds.

Acolyte
Spartan
04/29/02 11:59 AM

Cold-Mold? Where would one get something like that? Is it difficult or just expensive? How exactly does it work?

I'm just full of questions aren't I?
Spartan

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

(I refer you to what Nightward said)
Acolyte
04/29/02 12:52 PM

It's expensive, takes a little practice to use. Any jewlery shop that supplies casting equipment should have it. You also would need access to a vaccum table and centrificle caster. These are also expensive. In short, personal satisfaction is the main reson to use it. Myself, I have friends who have the equipment.

It works like rubber-molds exept that it doesn't have to be vulcanized at tempuratures that will melt lead. you slather it on, wait for a little drying, suck the air out of it, wait for it to dry compleately, then cut the mold up. Then you take the mini out, put the mold back together, and inject the wax. Wait for the wax to cool, and take the wax verion out (carefully, it's very fragile). Then use the wax mini for lost wax casting.

Yes you are!

Acolyte
Spartan
04/29/02 01:20 PM

I know what you're talking about, it's also called investment casting. I did that in a crafts course I took for a fine arts credit. Something I thought about is that if you're willing to spend the money you could cast a mini in a metal that is naturally shiny or in a precious metal, not just pewter.
Spartan

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

(I refer you to what Nightward said)
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 177 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 17705

Contact Admins Sarna.net