Do you use minature rules or hexmaps

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Cheapbuzz
04/27/02 08:43 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

minature rules VS hexmaps
Minature
Hexmap

Votes accepted from (12/31/69 07:00 PM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

Greyslayer
04/28/02 04:48 AM

Neither of those options really fit the way that some players play. We created our own mapsheets that are about 1 1/2 times the size of a mapsheet you get standard. This was nearly every single miniature can actually fit in a hex (pathetic isn't it? ). We did play 'free form' for awhile before this though. I would say if I had to pick only one of the other I would pick a standard mapsheet though. The free form is too open to interpretation of what is straight as so on. Also hex bases are just bigger than 1 inch (which is the standard way to play is one ince is one hex or a ratio similar) this doesn't help alot when measuring.

Greyslayer
Acolyte
04/28/02 11:02 AM

I do both, depending on the space and time I've got....

Light a fire for a man, and you keep him warm for one night,
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Acolyte
Karagin
04/28/02 02:18 PM

I think you need a third choice of Both...

I use both. I have even played where the person running it had simply taken the hex movement and told us that was what the mechs and vehicles moved in inches. That allowed a couple of newier players to understand things better, same with ranges.

The rest of the rules were miniature based and everyone had a good time.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
CrayModerator
04/28/02 03:14 PM

Hex maps. One, I'm too lazy and don't have the time for mini's anymore. A premade map is great.

Two, I have no minis. I suppose I could use the cardboard cutouts with the old BT boxed sets in mini rules, but I also mix in bottlecaps and scraps of paper for less important rules. Using mini rules would be like wearing a tuxedo to McDonalds.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
04/28/02 05:37 PM

In reply to:

Cray said:
Using mini rules would be like wearing a tuxedo to McDonalds

Hey I have done that before...stopping before heading to a friends wedding...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Cheapbuzz
04/30/02 10:11 AM

Wow it's not quite what I had expected to see I dont know about the rest of you guys, but I couldent wait to ditch those hex maps. I thought it was pretty wild to see a dasher move 40 inches across the table. After that I was hooked.
Bob_Richter
04/30/02 08:35 PM

Mini rules look cool, but they're expensive.

As it is, I don't have to build up an "army" or terrain collection.

IYAM, Battletech starts to turn into WH-40K as soon as you start playing by mini rules.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
NathanKell
05/01/02 12:34 AM

Forgive my ignorance, but... IYAM?
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
Bob_Richter
05/01/02 01:30 AM

If You Ask Me.

They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
NathanKell
05/01/02 01:41 AM

I feel stupid now
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
Cheapbuzz
05/01/02 04:24 AM

Sorry man I dont play Battlespace.
Cheapbuzz
05/02/02 09:31 AM

They arent expensive, all you need is some puzzle carpet, styrofoam, green and brown paint some spray glue, trees (you can make you own using moss,toothpics and some safety wire) and some flocking. My play area is 3ft wide and 8ft long. It cost me about 40 bucks and 12 hours of work. Screw buying professional made sets you can make your own and they look just as good.
NathanKell
05/02/02 11:12 AM

Err, I think he means (Geohex's?) Battlespace combo terrain, versus BattleSpace, the BT game of space combat.
Thomas Jefferson
Acolyte
05/02/02 01:13 PM

Ya, I looked into that, but time and storage space were limited.....

Acolyte
Bob_Richter
05/02/02 03:36 PM

Sure they are. The minis themselves are the worst part.

And you're going to pay $40 a mapsheet.

Not for me, friend.

Cheapbuzz
05/02/02 06:11 PM

Yeah you got me on the minis part I sunk about 600 bucks into minis over the past few years.
Durango
06/28/02 03:41 PM

A lot of people I know have massive collections with both large amounts of minis and even the expensive Geo-Hex terrain.

It really looks cool to play on. There's some pictures of it on my site:

[link]http://web.tampabay.rr.com/aftermath[/link]

I have always played Btech with minis, even when I first started the guy who got me into the game had a pretty good collection of them.

We built almost all of our own terrain. We used a green headliner for the base, and put molded styrofoam packing pieces which we had collected from computer equipment and such.

He built an entire map on top of a sheet of building insulation (3/4" sheet stryofoam), and built up levels which he would cut out of other sheets. He glued them together, and they were so accurate that we could use them to determine partial cover or full cover, just by eyeballing from the perspective of the minis. VERY cool.

I myself have a pretty good collection of minis and terrain. I have bought some pieces of the terran (like the Comstar building) and made some from styrofoam. Just like the guy said, some lichen or moss can go a long way towards representing trees, and it's very easy to mix Elmer's glue and water, spray it on the stryrofoam and just dust over that with some grainy terrain.

You could even make it modular, just count off about 10 hexes from one of your maps, and trace it on the sheet styrofoam...cut up into hexes and you've basically got Geo-hex clonage...

The problem is, it's the wrong scale for MWDA. (But that's another rant for a different area.)

Khan_Robinette
06/29/02 03:27 PM

What about 50/50? With my newer players I use maps, with my more experience players we use terrain. So technically I use both once a month.
"Teach me and I'll teach you
If you need a hand I'll give you two
Respect me and I'll respect you
Disrespect me and I will destroy you"
MacLeod
06/29/02 03:34 PM

I'm a poor ghetto child, so I only have four mapsheets (the two that came with 4th Edition and two I found at a garage sale that have this big grey thingee in the middle [either ice or a building, I'm not sure]). I don't have any terrain, and all of my miniatures are unbuilt or falling apart (read: I've got a JagerMech, Nova, Executioner, and Locust that were once put together but now are falling apart, and I need to put together my Cestus and Trebuchet, and I sold my Challenger X MBTs ). Anybody got some free miniatures for a poor ghetto MechWarrior?
Drugs don't kill people, pancreatic cancer kills people.

... and whoever heard of a drug that causes pancreatic cancer?
Zwischy
06/30/02 12:04 AM

I like using a laser pointer for LOS checking over elevations.
Zwischy
06/30/02 12:10 AM

The big gray thingee in the middle is supposed to be space for city buildings. The old Citytech box came with flat cardboard rectangles on which were printed buildings, along with the buildings height in levels.

As for the minis, you could rebuild them without it being TOO expensive, I think. If you can stand them being unpainted.

Get some ZipStrip from a hardware store. It'll take all the paint and glue off and give you a fresh start. You don't need much in the way of glue to put them back together (I hope). Unfortunately, I don't have many minis of my own or I'd be willing to send you a few - they don't get much use but they're also not in production anymore. :P
MacLeod
06/30/02 12:29 AM

Yah, I think it's the same with some of mine. The other problem with them is the Locust is missing the arms, the JagerMech is missing the head thingee, and the Black Hawk is missing an arm. I still use them, as well as the cardboard thingees I got with 4th Edition, and I just pick the ones that look the most like the unit they're supposed to be.

Well, hey, it works for me.

Acolyte
06/30/02 08:53 PM

Wow! sounds like you're playing 3025!

Acolyte
Greyslayer
06/30/02 09:48 PM

Is there a time-period other than 3025 worthwhile?

Greyslayer
Nightward
06/30/02 10:02 PM

Not any more.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
MacLeod
07/01/02 12:54 AM

Here's an idea I just came up with for playing: Clanners (with slightly powered down tech) invading in 3025! Make the Fourth Succession War not even happen! Kill off Max Liao, keep FedCom from forming, kill Theodore Kurita, and... uh... what else... Oh, why not, kill Takashi Kurita as well.

Nightmare
07/01/02 01:05 AM

Kill all the snakes! That`s a good deed, and remember to kill off all the Liaos as well
Advice for Evil Overlords:
My legions of terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice.
MacLeod
07/01/02 01:10 AM

Didn't I say to kill Max Liao? I guess I forgot to say to kill Romano. Let Candace live, 'cuz she ain't as insane as the rest of the family.

Actually, when it comes to the Dracos, let Theodore live, because he's a good enough military leader to whup some Smoke Jaguar behind. Takashi has to go.

< angry samurai face

Nightward
07/01/02 01:19 AM

I play for the Draconis Combine! Nobody slays my leaders!

Well...except for themselves, but that's different!
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 77 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 13946

Contact Admins Sarna.net