Everyone needs a boogieman...

Pages: 1
Karagin
04/29/02 06:06 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Okay for the Star League to truely have a purpose that makes it a true alliance to keep the enemies of the Inner Sphere and mankind at bay, they NEED those enemies.

Sure, the Clans do make some nice bad guys, but as we can all see they are becoming a part of the Inner Sphere and soon we may see some of them allying to the SL in full without having to fight trials and other such things.

Now here is an idea I was running over....say that Trinity Alliance draws in another power, and they use their time allied to the SL, to gain newier tech and such and slowly build up their power tell they feel they no longer need the SL...and they leave. Will the SL let them or will it go to war to keep them in the fold to ensure peace etc...? I know we have heard this once before, and we all know what happen then.

Or will the SL let them go know that they may have to one day actually fight the Alliance as an enemy?

Ideas on this?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.

Edited by Karagin (04/29/02 06:21 PM)
KamikazeJohnson
04/29/02 06:18 PM

It is highly unlikely at this point that the various Houses will just forgive each other and live forever in peace and harmony. Inevitably, one. some, or all of them will start planning complete conquest of the Inner Sphere (again). The question is, what then?

I doubt the SL would go to war to keep anyone from leaving..."War for Peace" has never worked. An organization like the SL would need to let the one member leave, hoping to tempt them back with the appearance of wealth, peace, and prosperity...all the good things that come with unity. Inevitably, someone will decide the League is holding them back, and will separate.

The way I see it, the League would have to allow the member to leave in order to retain its credibility.
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Karagin
04/29/02 06:25 PM

Thus giving them the boogieman to lay blame on for pirate raids etc...thus moving both powers one step closer to a possible war.

This whole thing is based on the idea that having an enemy means you are always watch and preparing and thus can handle things as they happen instead of just reacting.

Thus your citizens have someone to compete against and that means they have trade and other such things...amazing how this all works into each other and no matter how much you dislike a nation you need them for something...
Karagin

KamikazeJohnson
04/29/02 06:30 PM

realized that...that was the reason for the Reunification War, you recall.
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Karagin
04/29/02 06:34 PM

I know...they painted the Periphery as the bad guys then a Crusades like rompt and repeat they went out to win them back into the fold and look what it cost them...
Karagin

Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 83 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2975

Contact Admins Sarna.net