Unwanted paint job

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
OPER_DANG
10/28/09 10:19 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Update...
I have plastic miniatures from the old 3rd Ed box set, painted in acrylic circa 1995. I read some more on the internet and decided that rubbing alcohol, since I had some and it was supposed to be completely safe for the plastic was the way to go. My bottle was only 50% alcohol, so I decided to add some Dawn dish detergent to help with the soak, put the mini in, closed it up and gave it a good shake. Within the first 24hrs I took it out and the paint still covered the miniature. I started cleaning with a tooth brush and some paint came right off, but most of it was still stuck on. So I soaked it again and after 2 days, since the paint coat had been disturbed I guess, the majority of the paint came off easily with tooth brush and finger rubbing. The red enamel in the corners and crevices was the most stubborn and after another soak and then gentle scraping with fingernail and plastic toothpick it came pretty clean.

If anyone has any suggestions for completely removing and smoothing the flash, seams and injection point artifacts I would really appreciate it. It seems even with a sharp blade I make as many new pieces stick up as I take off...
ManweTheValar
03/31/18 09:41 PM

It works quite well, except for removing the primer coat.
Karagin
04/01/18 02:28 AM

I would suggest Simple Green. Soak it and scrub it.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
boneshaman
04/04/18 10:06 PM

for metal miniatures i use acetone for plastic i use brake fluid.
Akalabeth
04/17/18 10:38 PM

That post was 9 years ago. I'm sure he got the paint off by now or said screw it
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 29183

Contact Admins Sarna.net