Possible error in Operation Audacity???

Pages: 1
Karagin
06/09/02 12:14 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
On page 115, last paragraph, where they are talking about the death of Natasha Kerensky, they say it happen on Tukayyid, but according to all the other sources it happen on Twycross...

What gives here folks? What happen to proofreading?? I hope ROC is not going to be tyed to FP and WK.

Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Black_Phoenix
06/10/02 09:09 PM

That whole novel is full of errors. I am only to page 100 and I have spotted more errors then any one other book has.

Over at CBT someone noticed that it mentioned that Natasha's D.Wolf had Ferro-F armor (which it did not).
History is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.
-Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz

Karagin
06/11/02 08:23 AM

I have noticed a lot of errors as well, like Adam uses two bridages to take on two trinaries of mechs and elements...he throws 100 plus mechs against at the most 30 and 100 or so elementals...but later Archer is fighting a similar force and only tosses 16 mechs against them...got love the math and proofreading...
Karagin

CrayModerator
06/11/02 11:00 AM

Hey, my respect for Adam is going up. The best means the Inner Sphere has for killing Clans is superior numbers.

Archer, OTOH, seems overconfident or strapped for resources.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
06/11/02 01:26 PM

If you say so. I think the whole idea of any of the left over cartoon BS is a sad play on who ever came up with the story line for the Cartoon.

Using numbers to defeat the Clans is one thing tossing out 300 plus units to stop a mere 60 plus borders on nuts. And the idea no one in Adam's command staff pointed that out shows a lot about the lack of understand how a command staff works.

As for Archer, he does his best with what he has got. I don't see him trying to play god or over kill an oppeant just because he can. Adam as written is about as adpated as a fresh LT right out of OCS who thinks he knows everything and his poop don't stink.
Karagin

CrayModerator
06/11/02 02:20 PM

>If you say so. I think the whole idea of any of the left over cartoon BS is a sad play on who ever came up with the story line for the Cartoon.

Oh, indeed. I was upset to hear FASA tried its best to make the Somerset Strikers as canon as possible. Gawd.

>Using numbers to defeat the Clans is one thing tossing out 300 plus units to stop a mere 60 plus borders on nuts

You know, when I've managed the rare feat of concentrating 4 or 5 Inner Sphere mechs on one Clan mech, I found the Inner Sphere mechs kill the Clan mech faster and take less damage than when numbers are more even.

As Henste was saying on CBT (edited):

"The standard doctrine used today is pretty simple (by the Army - cut and dry) :
- if you face one enemy tank, you send a platoon (4 tanks, I think) to handle it
-if you face one platoon, send a company

Good enough for me. The US Army likes 4:1 odds.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
06/11/02 05:02 PM

4:1 odds in favor of the Russian...that has been modfied...and the only reason is to ensure a kill, four tanks firing one means at least two hit the enemy tank. Laws of averages works in real life quite well.

Still 600 mechs to take out 60 mechs goes way beyond even 4 to 1 odds...it's more like poor Adam was worried he lose.
Karagin

Acolyte
06/11/02 05:53 PM

Well, there's loosing and then there's taking losses. If you send more even numbers into battle, you'll take losses. This is never constructive. What I'd be worried about is commiting so many of my 'Mechs to one front that an attack from somewhere else catches me with my pants down. I don't know how many times I've gotten an opponent to comit troops then raided the supply base, DropShips, holding cell where my captured troops are, communications array, ect, ect, ect.

Light a fire for a man, and you keep him warm for one night,
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Acolyte
KamikazeJohnson
06/11/02 06:08 PM

Very true...if you can spare 600 'Mechs without endangering yourself otherwise...why not?

Although certainly a force that size could have ben put to much more constructive (destructive?) use elsewhere.
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
CrayModerator
06/11/02 07:24 PM

There's a little more to the scenario you didn't tell me about before, like that a Clan-style trial was involved. The brigade reference is clearly a typo given Pryde's sanction of Adam's victory.

As for 600:60 more generally...fine by me. I'd prefer to serve with a general worried he'd lose and sending in overkill than a general confident he'd win and sending in too few. I mean, generals who look for fair fights (or use "the minimum necessary force") need to be fragged posthaste by their command staff.

NathanKell
06/11/02 09:20 PM

Darn straight.
The idea is not that "with a force that size you're bound to take losses." The idea is that with a force that size you minimize losses, by killing the enemy before they do {any} damage.
Which leads me to a very interesting point...{new thread}.
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 122 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4631

Contact Admins Sarna.net