Bye Bye Kevlars....maybe.

Pages: 1
Karagin
06/13/02 07:15 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36355-2002May30.html

Interesting idea and use of the product.

Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Greyslayer
06/13/02 07:41 AM

What next after GoatSilk? ......

Greyslayer
Karagin
06/13/02 07:42 AM

CornSilk?

Beats me...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
CrayModerator
06/13/02 07:53 AM

Thanks, dude! I was following the spider silk stuff in the 90s and wondered why nothing ever came of the bacteria approach.

Hopefully this goat approach will work. Spider silk seems to have quite a leg up on other Kevlar replacements like Spectra.

[twitch]

I just imaged Spidergoat in a red and blue costume swinging from building to building using webs shot from her udders...ok, that's high on the weirdness factor...
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Nightward
06/13/02 09:54 PM

All kinds of nifty stuff can be done with Genetic Engineering. At the moment, they are looking at inserting DNA in banananananas (I know how to start spelling that word, but never when to stop) that will allow them to produce vaccines for distribution to "3rd World" countries. I know I would rather eat a banana than having some sharp object stabbed into me...

And the so-called "Golden Rice", engineered to contain vitamins as well as carbohydrates, intended as a means of supplementing the diet of "3rd World" impoverished farmers and so forth.

But there are other pretty bizarre excperiments happening. The Goat's Milk Spidersilk is one, but another you might be familiar with is the insertion of slamon (I think it was salmon) DNA into tomatos so they last longer. Big companies are engineering crops that will die unless their fertiliser and pesticdes are used to treat them, and that produce infertile seeds to force the farmer into dependance upon them.

Then there's the whole stem cell thing...

Science can do great things. But sometimes, it makes you wonder.

(Edited to add more stuff whilst I write up an Ethics assignment on stem cell research)
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Nightward
06/17/02 06:41 PM

In W.A., they were the world's first to teleport Laser beams. And in Sydney (I think it was Sydney) they foun a protein that causes SIDS.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Greyslayer
06/18/02 05:09 PM

They teleported a Proton from one point to another (only a few centermeters).

I don't think it was Sydney, I think it was melbourne. Biotech seems to be bigger in Melbourne and Brisbane than Sydney.

Also on Australian Science recent discoveries in MS (multiple sclerosis or whatever it is spelt) allows some versions of the disease to go into remission.

Last month information on a 'bio-goo' that generally 'excites' growth on areas it was applied. Such an example would be applied directly to a bone fracture such that it takes only something like 6 weeks for the bone to mend compared to up to 2 years naturally. Combine this tech with the body-mesh revealed last year by the same research group in Brisbane can quicly rebuild bones and other biological material. Both items are still in testing.

On another note Australian Scientist have annouced the discovery this week of a stem-cell that deals directly with the immune system. tests have shown and improvement on rats when using this stem-cell, this seems to help the immune system of rats on both disease and cancer.

These are just a few things I have heard in the news and read in the paper over the last couple of months....

Greyslayer
KamikazeJohnson
06/18/02 05:40 PM

I heard about a week or so ago that a 17-year old high school student somewhere in Ontario (I think) made a major breakthrough towards treating Alzheimer's...can you say, "set for life"?
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Nightward
06/18/02 06:01 PM

The guy with the Stem Cells grew a new thymus on a mouse's kidney using its adult stem cells. As far as I understood it in Human Anatomy, the thymus does very little for the immune system after adolescence; I think what they mean is that they will be able to repair the other tissues that make white blood cells, or to grow them in vitro and return them to the person's body to help them fight the disease.
CrayModerator
06/18/02 06:08 PM

The kid might need the drug by the time it gets through clinical trials and FDA approvals.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Greyslayer
06/18/02 06:13 PM

He could be but he forgot where he left his 'paper' .... only kidding .

BTW I was slightly wrong on the transporting article it was 'laser' beam transported from one spot to the next.

Greyslayer
KamikazeJohnson
06/18/02 06:16 PM

LOL
Seriously, she's already been offered a position on the medical research team at Queen's University in Kingston, Ont. And IIRC about being from Ontario, she still has another full year of high school left. Very impressive indeed.
--Thomas Jefferson
KamikazeJohnson
06/19/02 05:31 PM

Is there a link or something where I can get more info on those? Especially the SIDS one. Thx
--Thomas Jefferson
Greyslayer
06/19/02 05:52 PM

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/Sci_Tech/story_33745.asp - teleportation

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/health/story_33814.asp - SIDS protein discovery

Greyslayer
SSFSX17
06/19/02 10:29 PM

Not if the student suddenly experiences deep spiritual trauma that causes her to hate technology and start sending out bombs to all her former professors. Of course, the government will make sure that doesn't happen ever again.
Lousy good-for-nothing mortals. Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6240

Contact Admins Sarna.net