Conventional Fighters and VTOL and Engery Weapons.

Pages: 1
Karagin
06/25/02 04:36 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Okay I was reading through the AT2 book and I saw that Conventional Fighters can not use engery weapons, this struck me as odd, since they can have fusion engines...I could not figure out WHY this is in there.

Then something else struck me as odd, VTOL, aka helicopters, CAN use engery weapons, so why can't conventional fighters?

Both aircraft can use fusion engines and both are very fragile. So can someone explain this to me since I am not following the logic or lack of logic behind the thinking that ruled conventional fighters can not use engery weapons.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
CrayModerator
06/25/02 06:17 AM

I can tell you exactly why, for I asked this of the Terrible and Awesome Chris Hartford in the August realm of CBT, and he did explain unto me:

Not enough space in the book for such complicated topics. Word limits, y'know.

(Well, that's paraphrasing. He went on to say that you could consider them an L3 option.)
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
06/25/02 06:19 AM

Would you happen to have a copy of that discussion by any change still?
Karagin

CrayModerator
06/25/02 07:57 AM

It's in the CBT AT2 forum, "Questions for Chris Hartford"...I'll look it up.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
CrayModerator
06/25/02 08:07 AM

Posted in the CBT thread of early June, "AeroTech 2 questions for Chris Hartford" started by Zhu_Ge_Liang, not to be confused with the second set of AT2 questions from Zhu.

Sherherazade
(Admiral of the Navy)
06/06/02 11:11 AM

Re: Question about ramming attacks [re: Cray]

>>[Cray wrote:] Complications for conventional fighters compared to normal vehicle construction? Power amps and extra heat sinks for ICE vehicles is very simple stuff.<<

In absolute complexity, yes it's pretty straightforward but providing the relevant information of power converters (etc) required a disproportionate ammount of space (and I was already in trouble with FASA for over-running) so that element, together with the VTOL capability, got the chop.

If we ever get to add-on rules for AT2 - and I'd like to do something along those lines as there are a number of things to address - then both systems might reappear but for the moment designs using them would be "Level 3"

Chris Hartford

Karagin
06/25/02 08:55 AM

Thanks!
Karagin

Rick Raisley
06/29/02 09:25 PM

If it makes y'all feel any better, Chris has relented, and Conventional Fighters can indeed use energy weapons. This change has been made in HeavyMetal Aero (under construction), and new rule changes will be published (probably on the web) after this is all done. Oh, of course, power amps are required for energy weapons used with Turbine engines.
Rick Raisley
heavymetal@bellsouth.net

HeavyMetal Pro, Vee and Lite Home Page:
www.heavymetalpro.com
CrayModerator
06/29/02 10:10 PM

Cool.

I don't suppose you could convince someone to let the last stress point on bioware get fixed, maybe just with therapeutic surgery? It's a really obnoxious rule in Shadowrun that you can never shed that last permanent stress point.

Karagin
06/30/02 01:08 PM

COOL!

Thanks for letting me know!

And as I said on your sight, later is better...let's get the main things done first....
Karagin

NathanKell
06/30/02 06:07 PM

Wahoo!
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4736

Contact Admins Sarna.net