the no dachi

Pages: 1
neochu
07/13/02 03:39 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I understand the sword as a "glorified club" but the first time I saw this mech I have been questioning how viable the sword would be combined with the swordsmanship skills of a samurai. after all half the mech warriors of house kurita are samurai. I am also looking at the possibility of polishing the sword to be a mirror to reflect laser fire. if not there may be a possibility to use the same laser reflective coating that is ibn laser reflective armor plus what about the stab motion? I am well aware of the ineffectiveness of the sword to cut metal but a harder metal can always puncture through a softer metal. It just does not seem viable for such a interesting shape to be used to randomly wack and crush when the true use of a sword is very effective perhaps there is more discussion of this in the Kurita soucebook the origin of the NO DACHI which has more thasnb just a sword as it is capable of immense damage for a 70 ton mech over medium to short range (it has an ERPPC for long range which is not efFective at long range) This is also one of the reasons that I like this mech. It is a mech of both worlds physical attacks with TSM and conventional level two damage.
Nightmare
07/13/02 04:58 PM

Hello? This is just BattleTech, not one of the Japanese mecha TV shows. A mech sword is just a club, even if it`s made of Super-Alloy XXX. A mech isn`t really capable of the kind of coordination you`d need for anything resembling real swordsmanship. The only reason the Kuritists wanted the sword instead of a hatchet is looks. And, as you know, looks are very important to the samurai.
Advice for Evil Overlords:
My legions of terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice.
Cadet
07/13/02 05:16 PM

Yep, 'Mechs are suppossed to be walking tanks, not kung fu machines. Of course it doesn't help when the pictures of the Lightray and Shadow Hawk IIC have them doing gymnastics.
Does not play well with others.
CrayModerator
07/14/02 01:11 AM

>after all half the mech warriors of house kurita are samurai

Where did you get that number? Do you have a book and page reference for it?

>I am also looking at the possibility of polishing the sword to be a mirror to reflect laser fire.

Expecting a sword to turn a laser is also going way too far. No reflexes are good enough to respond to an attack traveling 100 million hexes a second.

>I am well aware of the ineffectiveness of the sword to cut metal but a harder metal can always puncture through a softer metal

Do remember mech armor includes ceramics that are about as hard as you can get.

I'm not sure what you're asking about the stab motion of swords. Do you have a problem with the current sword rules or what? They already cover stabbing and slashing attacks with swords.

ER PPCs are very effective at long range. I'm not sure why you'd think a potentially decapitating weapon like the ER PPC is not effective at long range.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Edited by Cray (07/14/02 01:17 AM)
Pages: 1
Extra information
2 registered and 87 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3020

Contact Admins Sarna.net