New Inner Sphere Map...

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Karagin
07/16/02 10:02 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Well here is the newest map from WK...this should either impress you to death or raise a few questions...

Inner Sphere Map
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
CrayModerator
07/16/02 10:33 AM

"Raven Alliance" and "Rasalhague Dominion." Things that make you go "Hmmm...".

And House SteinAr seems to need a spell check.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Spartan
07/16/02 10:45 AM

Did I miss something? When did Hell's Horses become one of the invasion clans?
Spartan

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

(I refer you to what Nightward said)
Greyslayer
07/16/02 10:56 AM

That was hinted at (not sure if it actually happened) in the latter novels. Hell's Horses are a ally of Crusader Wolves and enemy of Ghost Bears.

They may even have had a couple of units that saw action against ghost bears when they flexes their muscles. Having the Hell's Horses take over that corridor is actually one of the few things that makes sense of recent writings/information.

Greyslayer
Karagin
07/16/02 11:00 AM

But weren't they, the Horses, pushed off the worlds they held by the Bears?
Karagin

CrayModerator
07/16/02 11:13 AM

You know the Clans: smack them on the nose once with a rolled up newspaper and it just makes'em angry. I'm sure the Horses wanted a second shot at the Inner Sphere to demonstrate how many kilos of brass they had.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Lance_Hawkins
07/16/02 12:07 PM

Yeah, the Bears kicked the Horses out in 3064.

But the old CHH Khan (Darth Fletcher) made his successor swear to pay back the Wolves for their treachery, and get even with the Bears also. Was at the very end of "Test of Vengeance".

Øystein
I have seen the best of men go past, I do not want to be the last.
NathanKell
07/16/02 03:03 PM

OK...so...the Outworlds Alliance, that paragon of democratic virtue...gets smacked up by a clan?
Huh?
Well, at least they picked (mostly) the right clan. Sharks would have made *sooo* much more sense...
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
SuperCharger
07/16/02 03:59 PM

I can't help but think MWDA seems to be focusing on the least interesting part of the map (the Republic) while the most interesting (Hell's Horses, Rasalhague Dominion, Raven Alliance) are being ignored. OTOH, maybe the note at the bottom means there will be a new, updated IS map that sheds more light on things.

How exactly can the FWL exist if it "fell" during the WoB Jihad? Or maybe that's still a holdover from the old map...
Karagin
07/16/02 04:09 PM

Same way the Ravens took the Alliance and the Horses took JF/WC worlds...and maybe the same way some of the Periphery powers are still there out by the Clans...luck?

All of this relasing of future events is confusing and IMVHO a poor market move by WK.
Karagin

novakitty
07/16/02 06:15 PM

Looks more like it and the clan decided to unite.

Raven Alliance, the union of Clan Snow Raven and the Outworlds Alliance.

I am curious what the resulting government method would be (wildly democratic + warden clan = ?)
meow
novakitty
07/16/02 06:19 PM

The way it happens has not been disclosed, and the note at the bottom of the map implies that this map is only set in stone as far as the Republic splotch in the middle.

I would guess that this is a "concept" map, still in the development stage. Also, if MW:DA focuses on the Republic, CBT can explore the grand conflicts and intrigue elsewhere.
meow
CrayModerator
07/16/02 07:39 PM

>I am curious what the resulting government method would be (wildly democratic + warden clan = ?)

Let us not forget "mostly anti-technological and pacifistic" in addition to "wildly democratic."

Karagin
07/16/02 07:50 PM

Sure it can only to be contradicted later on...but hey that's normal...

Sorry but all of these updates is ruining the whole mystery of the game for a lot of folks.

Let me quote one of the folks:

"So why do I need to buy the next novel or sourebook, if we ever see one, since I already know that Victor wins the civil war and the Federated Commonwealth is now back to House Stiener and House Davion and Victor is back with the ComGuard?"

That is from a long time player and a fan who was a die hard BTecher...

Sorry but I don't see BT exploriing anything, more of it following the given line of what MWDA will be giving us...and the sad part is the "physical weapons" of Level 3 play seem to be comming level 2 items for BT...

And what all will an updated map give us...a change in a typo and more head aches to figure out?

It may not be a big deal to you, but some us liked to be able to take the current info that was given via the novels and speculate on what may or may not etc...now a lot of that is lost and pointless since WK in their rush to ram this Mage Knight Clone down our throats has given us a clear picture of the future events and then folks wonder why a lot of the fans are upset and pissed off...gee I wonder why.
Karagin

rock
07/16/02 08:46 PM

I agree. I am now at the point of saying --- "Just give me a 60-year update sourcebook and be done with it." Fan Pro then can do sourcebooks from the DarkAge onward. I will mine the sourcebooks for ideas and play out my own 'Battletech Timeline.'
Acolyte
07/16/02 10:04 PM

"mostly anti-technological and pacifistic", huh.

Just like the old ComStar!

Light a fire for a man, and you keep him warm for one night,
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Acolyte
Acolyte
07/16/02 10:10 PM

Darth Fletcher? Did I read that right? Darth Fletcher?

What does he use as a weapon? A longbow with a lightsaber tip? Maybe he invented that crossbow that Chewie's so found of.

Katherine....... I am your father....... come to the dark side.......

OK Dad!

Light a fire for a man, and you keep him warm for one night,
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Acolyte
Karagin
07/16/02 11:37 PM

I wonder if Lucas has the word Darth copyrighted...

Talk about pushing the borders of ticking that man off...
Karagin

NathanKell
07/16/02 11:44 PM

Malavai Fletcher. "More than half cyborg" IIRC, and thus dubbed "Darth" by Lance Hawkins.
Tongue firmly in cheek, of course.

Unless my sarcasm detector failed and you already knew all that.
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
NathanKell
07/16/02 11:46 PM

"mostly anti-technological and pacifistic"

And it merges with a clan!? What, did they bring Craig Ward out of retirement?
Thomas Jefferson
MadWolf
07/17/02 12:02 AM

You make it seem like playing out your own BT time line is a bad idea.
Nothing is Impossible, It is only Improbable.
rock
07/17/02 01:46 AM

Sorry, I did not mean to imply that having an alternate timeline was a bad thing. The fact is that for most of the 17 years (on & off) that I have played Battletech, I have played in one alternate timeline or another depending on the group.

Most of the groups I played with did not use the clans or the clans were brought into the game in a lesser fashion. That said, they did use all the material that had to do with the conflicts between the 'Houses.'

Note: I also still bought all sourcebooks, scenarios, etc... that FASA published, including all the Clan material. In addition, most of the other players also bought everything FASA published.

What I meant was that now that I know where the future is headed, the excitement/anticipation/wonderment/etc... is greatly reduced for me. So they might as well just do a 60-year update and be done with it. Then they can continue the story line in the DarkAge onward. I will buy the 60-year update and also the DarkAge material onward. I will probably not play in the 'canon' timeline, but I will definitely use it to help flesh out another timeline.

Bottom line is that I have always bought all the source material even when I was not playing Battletech. It was a continuing story that I enjoyed reading, however now that I know where the story is headed the enjoyment is reduced. So to repeat, in my opinion just update me to the DarkAge and continue the "unknown" story from there.
MadWolf
07/17/02 02:21 AM

The Last thing FASA I bought was another copy of BMR. ( I spilt somthing on my old copy and decided needed to retire the old one to the book Shelf.) When i heard that FASA went under and WK bought them, I gave up on any new timeline and started my own. I figured it would be a fun adventure and I also didn't have to wait and see what WK was going to do. About 3 weeks ago I started a Campaign that's set in 3058. I then went out and bought all the books avaible at Media Play and have been catching up.

I've Had fun with the new storyline and now i know what WK is up to I'm really gald I did what i did. ( although I'm still upset that i didn;t buy more Mini's ) My story line of Merc Wars Is acctually holding its own well. Not TOO far off base ether.

I just want to say that it's all kool and a 60 year Update really isn't all the nessary.
Nothing is Impossible, It is only Improbable.
Durango
07/17/02 11:06 AM

Well, it's true that not everyone is going to be thrilled to death to get the spoilers.

All I can offer is the advice, don't hit the Wizkids site and read the spoilers.

I personally am relieved, after seeing only the inner sub-map for so long, to see that the rest of the map hasn't changed TOO much.
NathanKell
07/17/02 11:56 AM

When the timeline advanced from ~3030 to ~3050, FASA published a single sourcebook, the "20 Year Update", which covered the events of that jump.
The current plan is *not* to do that for the years ~3070 to 3130, but to actually plot out the years between and publish sourcebooks, TROs, etc. (i.e. like the years 3025-3030, and 3050-3070).
Thomas Jefferson
rock
07/17/02 01:19 PM

Like NathanKell said below, FASA put out a 20-year Update Book for 3030 to 3050 to advance the timeline. FASA then continued the "new" stories from 3050 onward.

Do not worry, WizKids is not going to do this, but will have Fan Pro flesh out the years from 3070 to 3130 with individual TROs, sourcebooks, etc... This is actually a good thing in many ways.

My frustration is that everything that is published by Fan Pro from here on leads to a future time period that is/will be known to us before the events leading to that time period are published. (If you follow what I mean. It is kind of hard to put in words.)

So, I am at the point of saying "Give me a 60-year Update Book" with all the events in it leading up to DarkAge. Then publish TROs, sourcebooks, etc... for DarkAge onward. At least I will not know where the story is going from that point on.
Karagin
07/17/02 01:56 PM

Seems someone at WK thinks it's an excellent idea to tell all they can about the future history of BT so as to get us (the current Fan base of BT) hooked on MWDA...but yet it seems to be having the reverse affect and is only causing more folks to NOT want to even look at MWDA or play it...gotta like that kind of market thinking...
Karagin

Greyslayer
07/17/02 02:01 PM

Its called 'Give 12 year olds a chance' marketing, in other words disillusioning those who play battletech because they would probably whoop those who are prepared to spend the most money (because it ain't theirs) on figures.

Greyslayer ....hmmmmmmm donutsss.
rock
07/17/02 02:18 PM

In my opinion, I also think that by giving out so much of the background leading to the DarkAge that they are hurting Fan Pro's possible sales of products.
Karagin
07/17/02 03:04 PM

I 100% agree with you.
Karagin

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Extra information
1 registered and 165 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 17928

Contact Admins Sarna.net