Uller
Bloodhound
Thor
Loki
Man-o-war
Daishi
Nova
/em wipes hand accross forhead
well that was a lot longer list than I though but anyway This is a selection of the mechs I have used/seen if you want a mech I missed just post them below.
Chalengerii

Votes accepted from (12/31/69 07:00 PM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

ChalengerII
07/20/02 07:39 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Most hated Mech
Awesome
Madcat
Hunchback
Atlas
King Crab
Battlemaster
Thug
Grasshopper
Summoner
Warhammer
MadDog
Rifleman
Highlander
Victor
Catapult
Ubermech
Jagermech
Centurian
Enforcer
Blood Asp
Clint
Hermes
HermesII
Hatchetman
Axeman
Jenner
Raven
firestarter
Locust
Uller
Bloodhound
Thor
Loki
Man-o-war
Daishi
Nova

ChalengerII
07/20/02 07:40 PM

Most Feared Mech
Awesome
Madcat
Hunchback
Atlas
King Crab
Battlemaster
Thug
Grasshopper
Summoner
Warhammer
MadDog
Rifleman
Highlander
Victor
Catapult
Ubermech
Jagermech
Centurian
Enforcer
Blood Asp
Clint
Hermes
HermesII
Hatchetman
Axeman
Jenner
Raven
firestarter
Locust
Uller
Bloodhound
Thor
Loki
Man-o-war
Daishi
Nova

Cheapbuzz
07/20/02 08:07 PM

I would have to say the Awesome 9Q. Its cheap, has a fairly high BV to cost ratio. I mean if you only had 25 million cbills what would rather feild 1 Madcat Prime or 3 9Qs?
Cheapbuzz
07/20/02 08:10 PM

I voted Madcat but its really the Hunchback IIC.
Cheapbuzz
07/20/02 08:13 PM

Well at least you got 1 out of three polls to work. Any way my most hated mech is the Man-O-war Prime.
CrayModerator
07/20/02 09:00 PM

I can't hit "submit" on your 2 of your polls.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
ChalengerII
07/21/02 05:58 PM

Ok the polls are messed up the sumit button is atualy on top of the poll below not sure how that happened.
Personaly my most loved is the Awesome 8Q as I started with level 1 tech and well 3 PPC's with near to enough heat sinks just about says it all.
Most feared is the Madcat which just happens to be my second favorite too its the only clan mech I've ever fought that I just can't pin down Blood Asps I can handle Daishis I can hit and run into oblivion but the madcat realy gives my usual lance of IS mediums a real run for their money.
I don't realy have a most hated mech.
Challenger
PS just to underline my point about the Madcat the Madcat's bv is often not more than 1or2k short of that of my lance
novakitty
07/21/02 06:09 PM

Timber Wolves are a most efficient and terrifying mech.

Have you tried a Kodiak to oppose your standard forces?

My answers to your polls are inherently different than that of the most vocal population of this forum: I like level 3 tech, I like options, and I like LAMs.

Therefore, I propose a Phoenix Hawk LAM and Nova Cat to start with.

They are favorites to use, terrifying if used well, and hated by their victims.
meow
deleteme
07/22/02 12:27 AM

I dunno about you guys, but when I first started playing mechwarrior 2, the Gargoyle scared the CRAP outa me...till I learned to shoot off its arms. Second to the Gargoyle for me would be the Summoner. Remember(yea back to MW2) that MW2 mission, where ya had to destroy the reactor, and then they sent a whole frekin star of summoners after ya??? yea that was scary, and kept me on the edge of my seat
ChalengerII
07/22/02 02:09 PM

Yep remember that mission found it very hard as I never took a lance mate. (Too much effort too little return) Think I went round them in the end.
Challenger
Nightmare
07/23/02 06:18 AM

Most hated: probably the JagerMech in 3025
No armor and too many guns.

Feared? What is this fear you talk about? I get worried when someone fields too many Wraiths, but nothing else.

Loved? Tough question. I`ve never been that particular as long as it gets the job done. The Gallowglas is a nice example of a good heavy mech.
Advice for Evil Overlords:
My legions of terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice.
Nightward
07/23/02 06:10 PM

Most Loved: Timber Wolf. Versatility personified. Fast, with heavy armour and a good loadout.

Most Feared: Fafnir... I know it's not that great, but I made the mistake of closing in on it and copped 50 points to the Centre Torso. Ugh.

Most Hated: Fire Moth H. One of my friends insists on fielding 2,500 points worth of them in each and every game. I solved this problem by using the Ice Ferret D. Those Pulse Lasers sort them out real fast, and I move almost as quickly as they do
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
LordChaos
07/23/02 10:02 PM

Currently : most loved is, for me, the Bandersnatch.

Most feared? I dont' fear anyone.. but my enimies fear my bandersntach.

Most hated? Anything that involves the clans...
Real mechwariors pilot IS mechs.
MadWolf
07/24/02 01:17 AM

FAv : Awesome

Feared : Warhawk

Hate : Roadrunners............... Annoying little #$@#%@$% !
Nothing is Impossible, It is only Improbable.
Greyslayer
07/24/02 02:54 AM

Dasher H are easy to beat if you think your opponent will be fielding them.

Firstly buy something like the Heavy LRM Carrier (4 LRM20s in a turret at 768 BV .... hmmmmmmmm) maybe two in 2500 bv and improve their gunnery so that they are at least 3 gunnery 5 piloting. Support units can be either anything with Medium Pulse lasers that is cheap or lots of battlearmour (they have secondary advantages as well). Something like the Achilleus is ideal incase they are dasher Ds (unless of course they actually hit you).

Now change your ammo loadout to 2 tons 'cheese spread' thunder, 2 tons Swarm I, 1 ton smokeand 3 tons normal. These ammo types can help you in almost any situation (the Smoke can create cover where there is none). Whenever you have a clean LOS to the Dashers and within range of your Heavy LRM Carriers fire off a shot of 'Cheese Spread' Thunder at the Hex the mech is in. Because the unit uses LRM 20s it creates a 10 point minefield in the hex of the mech and the surrounding 6 hexes forcing this non-jumping unit to make a roll just to get away without damage... if you want to fire more than one volley at the target that is fine as well (making up to 20 point hexes I think).

Achilleus and Swarm I,

Achilleus are the best spotting units I have ever used. They receive bonuses from the range you are firing at and move the standard movement of other battlearmours. Plus the fact that they do not need to include their movement for firing they don't incur anything beyond the +1 for spotting except for target's movement and terrain modifiers. A neat little trick is to use infantry to spot on infantry, the rules are rather weird around this point but effectively it doesn't say a vehicle firing on infantry indirect using infantry to spot should receive the +1 for dispersed (since no infantry can receive this bonus against other infantry and its a LOS only modifier from what I can tell ie firing directly on). You can also use the Achilleus to 'connect the dots' between enemy forces when using Swarm I making it practically impossible to hit your own troops but still allowing the ammo to attack subsequent targets along the line.

Just a few ideas to use against the dasher enthusiast.

Greyslayer
Acolyte
07/24/02 05:05 AM

Change your name to MadCyote.

Light a fire for a man, and you keep him warm for one night,
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Acolyte
Nightmare
07/24/02 07:15 AM

Where did you find those rules for the Thunder munitions? According to my BMR (unrevised) the only difference for a LRM20 is that it lays a 20-point mine field in the target hex. Nothing about multiple hexes. And since a unit standing in the target hex saw the mines land, he doesn`t even have to roll to get out of there. Now, if you fired at all hexes surrounding the mech...

In AeroTech2 there`s a bomb version of the Thunder/FASCAM that does spread over several hexes IIRC.
My legions of terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice.
Greyslayer
07/24/02 07:52 AM

That Aerotech 2 was released after FM: CC (I think that is the FM it is in). It is the same ammo just a different usage (like arrow IV ammo types can be fighter carried in the form of bombs). The differences of this ammo over normal thunder are:

1) It disperses over seven hexes instead of 1.

2) It disperses at 1/2 the strength of the launcher size.

3) The ammo is bulky taking up double the space of normal munitions (thus 1 ton of lrm 20 ammo in this case would have only 3 shots).

Hope that helps.

Greyslayer - please note that I feel this ammo type is completely unbalanced
Nightmare
07/24/02 08:43 AM

Ah. It might be found in the BMR:revised then. Does it have a name? Besides cheese spread?
Nightward
07/24/02 05:00 PM

Yes. It was given the imaginative designation of Thunder Improved.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Nightward
07/24/02 05:01 PM

Kages might work a little better- they can Jump 4...
Greyslayer
07/25/02 01:32 AM

Its not the movement as such but their survivability and ability to do damage back on an opposing force. There is no physical modifier from being able to jump 3 or jump 4 (except for the chance of being more likely to make cover than jumping 3). I am not sure but not including movement modifiers, terrain modifiers and being dispersed do the Kage get modifiers of +1/+4/+7 to be hit instead of 0 for short +2 for medium and +4 for long for normal battlearmour....

Greyslayer
KamikazeJohnson
07/26/02 09:51 PM

Loved: 3025 Thunderbolt...the absolute model of design efficiency. Every time I do a test (such as my Design Challenges) using a T-bolt, I am impressed anew by the design...It holds its own extremely well against much newer and more advanced designs...and its distressingly hard to kill in any situation. Consider...the only 3025 'Mechs that give the 65-ton T-bolt pause are the 70-ton Grasshopper, the 80-ton Awesome, the 85-ton Battlemaster, and the 100-ton Atlas.

Hated...tough call...my first impulse is to say the 3025 JagerMech, but even that thing had its uses. I'd say a random pick from a pool made up of about 2/3 of the 3025 medium 'Mechs. :-\

Feared: Awesome...there's simply no "good" range to hit the thing. You have to either maul it with superior numbers/tonnage/firepower or outmanoever it. Nasty.
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Nightward
07/27/02 05:13 AM

Kages have lesser modifiers than Achileus, less armour points, and only one hjeavy weapon, but they are DCMS units and I play House Kurita. Plus, of course, we get TAG
Greyslayer
07/28/02 05:56 AM

You'll notice I avoided the Semi-Guided warheads which in effect means without those warheads the TAG is useless in the above scenario....

The above selection could possibly be used by house Marik (I'm not sure who uses what ammo but alot of the ammo that was released in FM:CC was marik ammo).

Greyslayer
Nightward
07/28/02 06:12 PM

I was talking about TAG-Designated Artillery support
Zwischy
08/04/02 10:09 PM

Most loved: Thunderbolt. I have had many good experiences in Thunderbolts.

Most hated: The Viper second-line Clan Mech (75 tons, 5/8/5, all pulse lasers and a targeting computer). Pure chesse in an official design.

Most feared: Masakari C. Those energy weapons have demolished me time and again.
Rockdaddy
11/19/02 02:49 AM

Most Loved: MAD-3D Marauder. Sure it runs hot, but since heat management is a skill I've learned over the years, I'm not too worried about it. Because it doesn't have one of those pesky XL engines and it has great armor, it only takes all day to kill. And it looks great!

Most Hated: Any Warhammer. They always have good armor and an excellent weapons package with the ability to start hurting you at range and continue the pounding until you get up close...and then it just gets worse. With a player who is smart and not afraid of "Riding the Red" it just is not a fun 'Mech to face. And again, it just looks so damn cool.

Most Feared: Either the Raven or Hitman (Or upgraded OstScout). Not because of what they are by themselves, but because they are only there to make something bigger and nastier than they are a better chance at killing you. I can't tell you how many times I've had one of those things hit me with a NARC beacon, use ECM to break up my C3 network or gotten TAGged and hit with an Arrow IV strike by those little monsters.
All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Sarge
12/17/03 02:43 AM

AGH!
No Marauder in the most loved list!?!
Heresy!

-Sarge
Ignorant_Savage
12/17/03 03:58 AM

Most loved:
Mad Cat Prime

Most Hated:
Charger

Most Feared:
Kodiak
"Those who trade away essential freedoms for a little saftey deserve neither freedom or saftey."
- Benjamin Franklin
Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 16663

Contact Admins Sarna.net