MW3: That Train Mission

Pages: 1
SSFSX17
07/24/02 11:38 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
How the heck do you reach the train within the time limit, destroy it within the time limit, and survive while obeying the time limit? I either get slowed down from destroying the opposition or get killed while running all the way over there.
Lousy good-for-nothing mortals. Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.
Black_Cat_F
07/25/02 04:28 PM

It's been a long time since I ran that mission, but I think I went north, had my lancemates deal with the Cauldron-Borns...If that sound like the same mission, read on.

I used a faster heavy 'mech (Something like a Timber Wolf/Mad Cat should work), and waited until my lancemates had engaged the Cauldron-Borns before racing off to the north. Ignore all other enemies until you knock the train out. Hopefully, you will be able to pull it off. I think it still took me a few attempts. I didn't like that mission much. Good luck.

I've worked with every damn mercenary in the Inner Sphere and I swear you're the most annoying.
Black Cat - www.201ststrykers.com
Black_Phoenix
07/26/02 10:48 AM

Like Black_Cat_F said, just haul-a** for the train station and let you friends handle the Cauldron Borns. As for the Summoners and hover-tanks you will face half-way, just jump over them then juke back and forth to avoid attacks. When you reach the station, avoid the Avatar and head to the back of the station (where the tracks are). Once there, target the top of the station (where your reticule turns yellow) and shoot it. Once it falls it should total the track so the train will crash. I think you can also do this from the front of the station, but I forget right now.

Tips:
--Target your opponents from long range with ER Large Lasers. Best if you can hit their legs. Do this will damage them for later when you have to fight them.
--Ignore the comm dishes. Your friends will take care of them when they are finished with the Cauldron Borns. Or you can destroy them later, if your friends do not target them.
--Stop for nothing. You will have time to stop if your mech is as fast as a Mad Cat (T-Wolf), but if you stop once you will likely continue to stop, thinking you still have time. Not a good idea.

Suggested mechs and mods:
Timber Wolf/Mad Cat: Use the primary config, but be sure to mount jump jets.
Summoner/Thor: Remove the PPC. You will need lasers for targeting enemies from a distance.
History is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.
-Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz

Cheapbuzz
07/26/02 08:21 PM

OK forget everything you've learned about tactics and following Nav points. I usually use a Madcat on this mission make sure it has good speed. Make a direct bee line directly through to the train station. Run south right off the bat all youll encounter is some med mechs the two CBs will have to run through the lake to get to you which will greatly slow them down. So as you are running through have your lancemates attach some randome targets. Dont fire at any of the baddies just haul ass to the train station when the station is in sight just destroy the track leading to it. Then cruise back over to your lance mates and help out with the mop up. About that time you will recieve notification that the train has been destroyed. Lastly finish the rest of your objectives.
Nightward
07/27/02 05:32 AM

Arg. I too remember and hate that mission. Ifailed it many a time.

I eventually loaded a Timber Wolf up with lasers and a salvaged Ultra AC-20 and equipped my sidekicks with ultra-beefy Assualt 'Mechs. I ran forward at the start of the mission, I totalled the Cauldron-Born from a distance, and saved the AC for the Summoner at the end of the level. Eventually, my plodding minions caught up, then I instrcuted them to attack the train with me. Hope it helps.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Black_Phoenix
07/28/02 06:17 PM

>>Arg. I too remember and hate that mission.>>

At least that mission was not as bad as the fight beneath the caldera (the magma pit). That level sucked. The best way to win was (for me) to use large lasers and a TC to try and target the heads of the bruisers you have to face. The only downside is that large lasers produce a lot of heat on that level, and I was piloting a Supernova that I had managed to snag a few missions earlier. And the only way to deal with the heat was to sit in a pool of water and become target practice for the elementals and the bruisers.
History is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

novakitty
07/28/02 06:23 PM

I remember using a lot of machine guns and other ballistics. (a difficult choice to accept since I use energy weapons almost exclusively)
meow
Nightward
07/28/02 06:32 PM

I was in a Dire Wolf packed with Medium Pulse Lasers and Heat Sinks. Since most combat occured at 20cm (OK, not *THAT* short, but it was close combat down there) I had a field day with those Sunders
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Cheapbuzz
07/29/02 06:01 AM

4 ERPPCs and 1 Large pulse laser also 1 JJ just in case the bridge got blown up. All of that on a Daishi it may have been hot but I was unstoppable.
Black_Phoenix
07/29/02 05:40 PM

Trust me. Three large lasers, linked to a TC and preped to fire at the same time. Target the head or each Sunder, wait for a shot that cannot miss and fire. I got all three mechs as salvage and gave them to my lancemates in the last mission.

Nightward
07/29/02 05:43 PM

Begin with two Clan ER large Lasers. Add two Clan Large Pulse Lasers. Add Clan Medium Pulse Lasers to taste, mix well with Targeting Computer, and shove down throat of nearest Smoke Jaguar

On heavier 'Mechs, such as the Annihilator and Dire Wolf I went up to 3 ER Larges and dealt with the heat.

On that mission, I was not overly woried- I'd salvaged all the Annihilators I'd come across and had a spare Dire Wolf in case anything went wrong
Black_Phoenix
07/29/02 05:51 PM

I never really like the D-Wolf's. They were always too easy to hit. The Annihilator's were a bit better, but not much. I like the Supernova's the best. They are hard to hit and they come with six of my favorite weapons. Use the extra space that they seem to have for a TC and more DHS, and I get a mech that is perfect for my favorite tactic: Sniper fire. Even when I had the Bushwacker I like to fire from afar. Not only can the oppnent not hit for s*** at that range, but I am an expert at it.

Nightward
07/29/02 05:58 PM

Yep. That game was all about the sniping. Load ER Large Lasers, an Active Probe, and a Targeting Computer (plus, of course, TAG when you are getting fire support) and target their legs from 1 kilometer away. I packed the Large and Medium Pulse lasers to deal with vehicles and Elementals, since they tended to move suddenly. And, of course, I had evil firepower up close

I just used the Dire Wolf because I could pack more lasers and heat sinks into it than anything else. Plus, it came with ten Double Heat Sinks, which few 'Mechs in the game did.

I'd be talking to you on MSN right now, but I'm at Uni. Sorry.
Black_Phoenix
07/30/02 10:55 AM

I like pulse lasers. *Evil laugh* The only downside is that they are a pain in the @rse to work with at long range. Even LPL are an irritation at a distance. They are fun in instant action mode when you can run up to an enemy and shoot them, just to see the damage that is made on the mech's "skin."

I do like the extra tonnage from weapons in the D-wolf, but the problem is you have to keep weapons you may need for a long time. With the Supernova it already has all I need.

>>I'd be talking to you on MSN right now, but I'm at Uni. Sorry.>>

No problem. I have not been logging on to MSN lately. I probably should check my mail.

Nightward
07/30/02 05:21 PM

The Supernova does have 6 ER LArge Lasers, but if you ever fire more than three, you'd better be ready to explode...I did that on the mission after I got the Supernova. I was all "AHAHAHAHAHAHA! Eat six ER Large Lasers, Clan scum!...I...oh...oh, that can't be good..."
Black_Phoenix
07/30/02 10:38 PM

Yeah, I ended up finding that out the hard way too. I tried to take out the legs of a Timber Wolf on the "Snow Fortress" mission by doing that. I did like the way the explosion looked. I guess that an Alpha Strike was not such a hot idea (excuse the pun).

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4596

Contact Admins Sarna.net