A different kind of battle...Part 2

Pages: 1
Karagin
07/29/02 09:46 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Can a fighter squadron defend a planet from attack?

For this example let's say the squadrn is made up of Corsair Fighters and Slayer fighters.

The attacker had 5 dropships let's say Overlords and one Corrvette as part of the fleet moving toward the planet.

Who wins or better what do you think the out come will be?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
NathanKell
07/29/02 10:33 PM

A *single* fighter "squadron"? 6 Fighters? (Yes, this is FASA's idea of a squadron)
(Or, using battalion/squadron equivalence, 18 fighters...but even still...)
Or some multiple number of squadrons, by which I guess you mean: how many squadrons will it take? (Or they can never do it...) That sounds rather like RL: Lev's "How many fighters does it take to kill a battleship."

If the former: no way. If the mid, perhaps (9 of each, say), but it'd be really tight--the enemy would have to be isolated and picked off one-by-one, and the corvette would have to be a Vincent.

If the latter: Not as many as you'd expect, but it really depends on the corvette.
The Corsair and SL-15A Slayer are actually pretty good for L1 Mediums (well, the Slayer is designed and performs like a medium, just a very *good* medium). It shouldn't take too many--say, a FASAron of 6 per Overlord at most. Especially so if they can stay out the Overlord's nose arc. Another 4 or so for the Vincent (maybe more for safety, if the Vincent were to land just a couple NAC hits) or more (like, say, up to the 12-24 needed for the nasty Fox).
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
Acolyte
07/29/02 11:30 PM

NAC hits? I thought that capital weapons could only aim at dropship size targets or larger.

Light a fire for a man, and you keep him warm for one night,
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Acolyte
Nightmare
07/30/02 12:18 AM

IIRC, they fire at smaller targets with a whopping +5 modifier to hit. Not a big chance, but sometimes you will hit. And that will hurt badly.

As for defense, I`ve actually fought against an Overlord in a recent BattleSpace scenario. I had 19 fighters, and lost 11 of them...The Overlord disintegrated though. The fighters were four Stukas, four Transgressors, four Corsairs, four Thrushes and three Hellcats.
Advice for Evil Overlords:
My legions of terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice.
Karagin
07/30/02 01:45 AM

The squadron varies from house to house...could be 12 or as little as 6.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
CrayModerator
07/30/02 07:16 AM

If it's a Star League-design Corvette, I'd bet the fighter could destroy it. I'd bet they have a passable chance against any 1 of the Overlords.

But 5 Overlords? (30 fighters?) And a Corvette?

No, the dropships and corvette will get through.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
CrayModerator
07/30/02 07:17 AM

That changed in AT2. Now NACs, NGRs, NPPCs, and NLs just have a bad penalty against small targets.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Spartan
07/30/02 10:17 AM

I agree with Cray here. But if the planet was important enough to send those kind of resources against it (5 Battalions of mechs and 5 Squadrons of fighters), it should be defended by more than just a squadron. To be minimalist, a wing at least, but more like 2, preferably a fighter regiment, all with assault dropship support and maybe orbital defenses or a small warship.
Spartan

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

(I refer you to what Nightward said)
ErichRaulfestone
07/30/02 01:41 PM

Simply put, when put through a computer sim, I came up with a 77.3445% win chance for the atacking forces concidering what was defending the planet....not much. Sorry, but what a bummer...
Erich Raulfestone

Rangers, Lead the Way!
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
Isaiah 6:8

......and I went......
Bob_Richter
07/30/02 05:53 PM

>>>Can a fighter squadron defend a planet from attack?<<<

No.

Six Fighters (a Squadron) can never be a match for THIRTY fighters (the compliment of five loaded Overlords,) nor are their guns powerful enough to bring down the Overlords before they are destroyed themselves. They might get one or two, but they can't WIN.

Toss in the Corvette, and even at DOUBLE those numbers (a maximum-sized house-special squadron), they don't stand a chance.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)

Edited by Bob_Richter (07/30/02 05:57 PM)
NathanKell
07/30/02 11:50 PM

What computer sim is this?
I have a semi-professional interest (check sig), along with being a BT space lover.
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
ErichRaulfestone
07/31/02 07:58 PM

My step-bor is a math junkie working for the Justice Department. So when he has some free time, he writes up
math based programs. I told him about the scanario since he has a mild intrest in Btech. He looked
up the stats on all the units and went from thier... i think... ????
Erich Raulfestone

Rangers, Lead the Way!
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
Isaiah 6:8

......and I went......
NathanKell
07/31/02 08:23 PM

Ah, cool, that kind.
Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 141 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4785

Contact Admins Sarna.net