Ideas on where WoB is getting the manpower...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Karagin
08/06/02 05:48 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
to pull of it's little war?

Anyone have any ideas or speculation on this? Or if you feel they don't have the man power and the facts don't match the new story line comment away.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Cheapbuzz
08/06/02 06:55 AM

I believe its from PFM.
Karagin
08/06/02 07:12 AM

PFM?
Karagin

Greyslayer
08/06/02 08:32 AM

Man in a Can.

Made from 95% recycled spam products.

Greyslayer
Karagin
08/06/02 08:37 AM

Is that a product of the planet Byss and it's clone labs? Or did the plastic army men factory run out of plastic bags?
Karagin

Greyslayer
08/06/02 09:21 AM

Spam is a multipurpose product. Its ingredients are top secret and it is mixed at a top secret location. We tested this product in the recent conflict on the Cappellan Front for our Word of Blake contractors. We found through testing that the Man in the Can will only work in attrocious conditions for the most mentally unstable factions (this of course easily met the conditions set by our contract with Word of Blake).

We have subsequently had orders put in by the Clans and the Lyran Alliance.

Please stay tuned for other wonderful products such as 2 minute vehicles and pop-top microwave mechwarriors.

Brought to you by a company that believes quantity is everything ..... ACME Biochemicals.

Greyslayer
Nightward
08/06/02 05:18 PM

"And lo, the owners of Whiz Kidz said 'Let us shatter the BattleTech universe, caring not for the devoted masses who have supported it in the past. We shall sunder their Houses, destroy their favourite units, and melt their favourite 'Mechs, Tanks, Fighters, and Battle Armour down for commemorative medals.' And all assembled said 'Sounds good. How much money can we make?'" -The BattleTech Book of Revalations, 7:14.

The short answer is: They didn't. In 3060, the Word of Blake Militia was ten understrength Level IVs, and they were on the verge of bankrupcy to do it. Whiz Kidz decided that it should be that way for their new game, and so it came to pass.

Please don't turn this into another MW:DA vs CBT flame war. Those are just my opinions.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
NathanKell
08/06/02 09:29 PM

And too bloody true they are, at that.
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
BA_Evans
08/09/02 06:09 PM

It sounds like you are assuming that everyone will be wearing WOB uniforms. Don't forget that WOB controls a significant portion of the Inner Sphere's communications and Comstar allows WOB to transmit messages over their communication net as well. All WOB needs to do is to give orders to House Units and Merc Units to go attack such and such. The only thing WOB would need to be able to do, is to crack the super duper secret verification system the Houses use to ensure their messages are original. One little technilogical break and WOB will have everyone fighting everyone.

There would be a period of time when the Houses would be very vulnerable because nobody could trust any orders they got. They would eventually have to rely on jumpship communication and the black boxes. Unfortunately, it is hard to coordinate and intersteller nation's activities for long periods of time using these methods.

Didn't Davion cave in to Comstar when they were hit with a communications blackout?

realworldviews
08/09/02 09:46 PM

From what I remember reading somewhere, (now if only I can remember where ) WoB is suppose to be hiring all sorts of Mercenaries, and has become the largest user of Mercs.
Now I may be wrong, But, even the Wobbies could amass a rather large army in a short time using the FWL money.
Colonel Brian Davis
Gamers United
"Dreams become reality, for all who start off with a dream"
novakitty
08/09/02 10:48 PM

They might need to use fronts and completely false mission objectives.

How many good mercenaries would go for an ad: "Extremists seek disestablishmentarian Mechwarriors to smite all who dare oppose the Will of Blake" or could they put a good spin on it?
meow
KamikazeJohnson
08/09/02 11:20 PM

How about "Fight well? Need money? We can help you afford your next meal..."
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
MacLeod
08/10/02 01:45 AM

Hey, as a merc, I find that offensive...

Or, to quote Foghorn Leghorn:

"Ah, ah say, ah represent that remark!"
Drugs don't kill people, pancreatic cancer kills people.

... and whoever heard of a drug that causes pancreatic cancer?
KamikazeJohnson
08/10/02 01:59 AM

Ah...I gather you don't work for the DC often? If you do, that remark is funny...because it's TRUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
MacLeod
08/10/02 02:04 AM

No, haven't worked for the DC in a while... I usually work with the Davions, but right now my contract is with the ARDC... probably gonna stay that way... I like the Kells, and getting free Clanner tech is sweet!

By the way, I can beat Phelan Kell at poker!
Drugs don't kill people, pancreatic cancer kills people.

... and whoever heard of a drug that causes pancreatic cancer?
Cheapbuzz
08/10/02 09:19 AM

Pure F***ing Magic.....
realworldviews
08/10/02 09:11 PM

I have to agree as a fellow Merc, I have never worked for Kurita, Liao, or Marik. Strickly Davion, Stiener, and Corporate Intrests. Of course that could all change for I am only just now entering 3041. (yea, Level 1 tech)

Oh and now I finally have a tag line.

Major Brian Davis
Gamers United
"Dreams become reality, For those all who start off with a dream"
Colonel Brian Davis
Gamers United
Bob_Richter
08/10/02 09:15 PM

Same place everyone else gets manpower...
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Karagin
08/10/02 11:43 PM

Sorry Bob, but that theory was linked to Comstar and the Explore Corps.

And very few mercs worth anything would be joining them. And to further shoot this idea down there are NOT that many merc units out there who ARE NOT all ready hired by on of the houses or minor powers other then ComStar/WoB....

So I think we can rule this idea out, but if you feel other wise then that is your call.

Have a nice day.
Karagin

Nightward
08/11/02 12:00 AM

Play nice, fellas. In Bob's defence, the Com Star FM does say the Blakists are hiring extensively. In Karagn's, I'd imagine it would take quite a number of regiments do do what the Blakists are supposed to have.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
realworldviews
08/11/02 12:02 AM

Thats where I read it, and hey it 'could' happen.
Colonel Brian Davis
Gamers United
Karagin
08/11/02 12:08 AM

Right I keep forgetting the just add water and things happen in the BT story...whole regiments can pop up over night as can whole mech factories.

"Every ten seconds a new merc units formed and every 30 seconds another is destroyed..." At this rate we should have what millions of merc units out there...some how I doubt that.
Karagin

novakitty
08/11/02 12:10 AM

"Every ten seconds a new merc units formed and every 30 seconds another is destroyed..."

Since the mercenary population is not increasing that fast, we can assume that every 15 seconds, two beaten and bruised mercenary units unite to try to remain competative.
meow
Karagin
08/11/02 12:13 AM

Thus their numbers ARE NOT big enough to support WoB's numbers needed for their war...

Now I could buy this IF AND ONLY IF EVEY MERC UNIT in the Inner Sphere joined them all the way down to the Dragoons, then maybe just then would that have this as answer...and given how a lot of units DON'T like WoB or Comstar...it's not going to happen.
Karagin

novakitty
08/11/02 12:15 AM

I think there is supposed to be a lot of covert recruitment in other forces.

Orders such as "You keep this descrambler near you, and until you hear order9s through it, just do what the (insert organization name here) officers tell you to."

Seems a bit difficult to manage, but it would be even more devastating that a war where every mercenary wore the WOB colors.
meow
Karagin
08/11/02 12:17 AM

At this point and time in the storyline I guess anything is possible...
Karagin

Nightmare
08/11/02 01:10 AM

Recruiting from other militaries is certainly a possibility. I`d suspect a few of the Davionist/Steinerist units involved in the FC civil war could be subverted. Their idiotic rulers just fought a civil war and mauled RCTs by the dozens. Why not join someone who promises peace in our time? Does everyone know that the wobblies are kooks, or do they seem reasonably sane In-Game?
Advice for Evil Overlords:
My legions of terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice.
Karagin
08/11/02 05:55 PM

In-Game or out of game they sounds like kooks and nuts.
Karagin

Nightward
08/11/02 05:56 PM

Oh, no. They're all fruit loops. They pray to their *SHOWERS* before they use them, so that the Shower-Spirits won't take the glorious technology of Showers away ffrom them...

It just doesn't make any sense. i've given my reason for this happening already, so I won't bore you again. Nevertheless, I will note that the 21st Centauri Lancers have been telling other Mercenary outfits about the Word of Blake...
Karagin
08/11/02 05:58 PM

In reply to:

Nightward wrote: It just doesn't make any sense. i've given my reason for this happening already, so I won't bore you again. Nevertheless, I will note that the 21st Centauri Lancers have been telling other Mercenary outfits about the Word of Blake...

Which is another point that seems to point away from mercs as their manpower base...
Karagin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Extra information
1 registered and 166 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 38470

Contact Admins Sarna.net