Alternate Battletech Timeline...

Pages: 1
masdog5
08/16/02 01:12 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I was kicking around some ideas for a fan-fic series, and I wondered what if the clans never came (i know..been there, done that, right?). It does include the clans, and a good reason why the invasion doesnt start. This time, though, the IS goes to the Clan Homeworlds.

Anyway, tell me what you think about what I have come up with.

Alternate Battletech Timeline:

3049 - Clans recalled to Homeworlds because IlKhan Leo Showers dies in tragic accident. Invasion put on hold.

3052 - 3057 - Clan Ice Hellion begins raids on Clan Wolf that will spark off a huge round of inter-clan warfare and lead to the absorbsion of 3 clans: Burrock, Ice Hellion, and Fire Mandrill. Jade Falcon, Smoke Jaguar toumans shattered in fighting. Most fighting over which Khan will get position of
IlKhan.

3055 - Hanse Davion launches Operation Market Garden, the second full scale invasion of the Capellan Confederation, sparking the 5th Succession war. FC Forces launch from bases in the Sarna March, while troops along the Draconis and FWL Borders wait anxiously for attacks to occur.

3056 - Comstar forces join forces with Capellan defenders to prevent state from folding, but unable to halt Davion advance. Davion troops secure Sian, face another Comstar interdiction, and sieze all Comstar equiptment and personnel inside FC, DCMS launches invasion of Terran Corridor, but actions of Northwind Highlanders and Wolf's Dragoons block invasion.

3057 - Romano Liao killed and Sun-Tzu Liao assumes leadership. Last Warrior House forces crushed on Hustaing by 1st St. Ives Lancers. By this point, Davion forces have captured over half the Confederation worlds. In Late 3057, a second front opens when FC forces, led by the First Fed Sun Armored Cav, launch attacks from the Capellan March. Using a strategy similar to the War of 3039, Fedcom forces launch 3 pronged attack into Dieron district. Victor Steiner-Davion and Hohiro Kurita square off for first of many duels. Victor barely defeats Hohiro and takes him prisoner. During the time spent together, both realize they have much in common and could benefit both their realms by working together, however blind hatred prevents it. He spends some time on New Avalon under the care of Melissa Steiner-Davion, using the time to gain valuble knowledge about the realm before returning to the Combine.

Clan Warfare ends. Ulric Kerensky elected IlKhan.

3058 - Dieron secured in early 3058 by FedCom. By the end of the year, the entire District will either be under FC control or surrounded by FC-controlled worlds. Heavy fighting in Capellan Confederation grinds FC forces down, severely wounding Peter Steiner-Davion. Takashi Kurita commits sepukku, Theodore becomes coordinator, allows son to begin building first RCT around the surviving Legion of Vega unit. Katherine Steiner-Davion killed while visiting soldiers at the front.

3059 - After 4 years of inconclusive fighting and heavy losses, the FWL calls for a cease-fire along its border with the Federated Commonwealth. 35% of its frontline mech regiments have been decimated at this point, and 35 more worlds long its border have been lost. This frees up several FC regiments, which head towards the Draconis March to counter-attack several Kurita advances towards Robinson. Capellan Confederation officially ceases to exist as last few worlds fall with no resistance. With the loss of the Dieron District and reinforcements heading towards the Draconis March, the DCMS pulls back. Operation Triumph is planned.

3060 - Considered the final action of the war, Operation Triumph, led by Wolf's Dragoons, drops 25 fully equipt mech regiments onto Earth. Losses are grievous, but in what amounts to extremely light fighting planetside, Earth is seized by the FC. Entire Caches of Star League era equiptment are seized before they could be put into battle, considerably strenghtening FC after a long war. St. Ives absorbed into FedCom, St. Ives March formed out of all Capellan worlds conquered during conflict, Candace Laio named March Lord. Dieron March formed out of District of Dieron Worlds, Peter Steiner-Davion made March Lord. Its military shattered, most of its HPG stations in enemy hands, and Earth held by the FC, Comstar begins its slow fade into nothingness. Jaime Wolf, Cranston Snord, and several other notted mercenaries disappear from sight for over a year.

Clans finish rebuilding for invasion. Hells Horses and Snow Raven gain considerable power at expense of Jade Falcon. Talks of returning to IS renew, Jamie Wolf and other clanners recalled.

3061 - Plans for the capital of a unified Federated Commonwealth show the new capital city being built on the site formerly known as Washington, DC and a new war college to be built in the British Isles. Construction has begun on this within 2 years of planning.

3062 - 3065 - Wolf's Dragoons call Outreach Conference, inviting the leaders and other important personnel to Outreach, along with their most elite units. Jaime Wolf and other important merc leaders reappear at conference and warn of impending danger to inner sphere from a group known as the Clans. He reveals that Wolf's Dragoons came from the clans and begins to teach tactics and Clan ways to the assembled leaders and their units. Hanse Davion dies during conference, Victor crowned Prince of Federated Suns half of Commonwealth. Christian Mansdotter, now elected Prince of FRR(only nation untouched by 5th Succession War) recommends reforming Star League Council and creating a SLDF to take battle to Clans.

Late 3063 - In a completely unexpected move, Frederick Steiner arrives on Outreach at the head of the remaining ComGuard divisions. Offers them to be backbone of new SLDF.

Late 3065 - Victor and Hohiro fight trial of possession for right to lead force into clan space. Hohiro defeats Victor, but chooses to honor FedCom by placing Kai Allard-Liao and Morgan Hasek-Davion into command positions.

Units selected for Clan Invasion:
1st Genyosha (DC)
2nd Sword of Light (DC)
1st St. Ives Lancers (FC)
1st kathil Uhlans (FC)
Davion Heavy Guards (FC)
Wolf's Dragoons Alpha and Beta Regiment (Merc)
1st Kell Hounds (Merc)
1st Kearny Highlanders (Merc)
1st Drakon (FRR)
1st and 2nd Royal Battlemech Regiment (SLDF, formerly Comstar)
1st Knights of the Inner Sphere (FWLM)

3066 - Myndo Waterly dies, Comstar officially ceases to exist. SLDF leaves from Terra in a highly publicised ceremony after 6 months of intensive training, heading down the Exodus road towards Strana Mechty.

Greyslayer
08/16/02 03:39 AM

Hmmmmm ... you will strike the ire of the Cappellan fanboys with this alternate history. One problem with this is that the Davions struck in the 4th succession war is that the cappies had a 'compressed military' after the first couple of waves. This was the result of the retreating militaries getting to planets with militaries already causing high concentrations of forces. Davions by this time were thinning out and could not afford to continue striking against these reinforced planets.

I would've suggested the best time to strike is when the Cappellans do their big push to get rid of the Canopus-Anduren push into their space. Their military is stretched and their morale is still at rock bottom until the end of the whole affair. Marik couldn't attribute much to the Cappellans (since they had to put down the Andurens) and the reforms in the Kuritan military had quite taken full effect yet. This would be the time I would choose to take them out.

Without the gum on the shoe of IS society (Liaos) The remaining IS states would be better prepared for the clans and you could even look at it from this angle.

FedCom if they played their cards right could in fact ally with the Anduriens causing all sort of problems for marik and thus open the area separating the Steiner half from the Davion half further.

In my opinion this would be more plausible.

Greyslayer
CrayModerator
08/16/02 06:39 AM

"Historically," Hanse Davion proposed invading the Capellan Confederation in the mid-3030s. St. Ives threatened to go to war with the Federated Suns if he did, and his wife and mother-in-law talked him out of it. So he launched the War of 3039 instead to reclaim all the many FS worlds lost to the Combine in the 4th SW. Why would Hanse invade the CC when he chose not to once before, and why would he ignore all the FS worlds still in the Combine's grasp?
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Warner_Doles
08/16/02 09:25 AM

Why is it that the Capellan Confederation always has to be attacked and destroyed by the dreaded Federated Munchgodkinglord Bunnys?

Answer: Because they can't beat the big boys.

Jeez... another FedMunch player conqurors the evil Capellan Confederation destroying the vast military and destroying their lone KFC!
Karagin
08/16/02 01:38 PM

Very impressive. I would like to see more on this if you have anymore.

Well thought out and very well written.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
novakitty
08/16/02 02:07 PM

"Why is it that the Capellan Confederation always has to be attacked and destroyed by the dreaded Federated Munchgodkinglord Bunnys?"

The same reason the Falcons and Hellions get wasted in this timeline: kill the jerks.
meow
CrayModerator
08/16/02 02:11 PM

But the Capellans weren't really jerks after Max was gone. Romano was the life of parties ("Off with their heads, and let them have their cake, too!"), Sun Tzu was just that perky kid who always had to try extra hard to get onto the football team because he was so short, and Kali - woohoo! She did this trick with a garrotte...well, never mind. Kids might be reading this. But you know the one I mean.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
08/16/02 02:23 PM

Logical for them to take out the weak neighbor first then go after the others.

Could be worse they could have gone after the Taurians...
Karagin

masdog5
08/16/02 08:02 PM

I havent started writing it yet, actually. This is just the plan I have come up with. I think I will be starting the first chapter within the next week, though, so once I get it finished, I will let you know.
masdog5
08/16/02 08:20 PM

Its not killing the jerks. There are some well thought out reasons to who gets killed.

First, after looking at the map of the IS, there are only 3 realms which could easily be assualted - the FRR, the CC. and St. Ives.. FRR would be a bad choice because they are a young nation and the FC gave up worlds to form it, not to mention there is a strong pro-lyran stance on many of the worlds. The Capellan Confederation has 2 short borders with FC, a small military with few elite regiments (as of 20 yr update), and fewer worlds overall. St. Ives is an ally/puppet state of the the FC and that war would waste units that could be used elsewhere.

The DC shares an extremely long border with the FC, plus is a match for them militarily. The only strategically sound region to attack, IMHO, would be Dieron since it is surrounded on 3 sides. Although lacking a large number of units., the FWL is simply too large at the current time for a Davion assualt(especially with Comstar agitating against them).

Its similar with the clans. When it comes down to it, the SJ and JF are jerks, but that isnt the reason they get destroyed. Being die hard crusaders, they get targeted by ardent wardens who are upset about the return to the IS and other clans that didnt make it into the invasion who want to weaken a rival. IH gets aborbed because they, for the most part, are idiots who start fights they cant finish (anhiliation will be more fitting for them, perhaps).
Greyslayer
08/16/02 08:37 PM

Lol ... that would be funny. Davions couldn't even take Hades Cluster with warships least of all without them . The Taurians are harder to destroy than the Cappellans would ever be.

Greyslayer
CrayModerator
08/16/02 09:23 PM

>There are some well thought out reasons to it

No, your reason is "kick the little guys, and damn the politics."

>The Capellan Confederation has 2 short borders with FC, a small military with few elite regiments (as of 20 yr update), and fewer worlds overall.

Yeah, so? That's not a justification for war, that just means the Confederation would be easy to defeat, at least if:
a) St. Ives didn't throw itself away attacking you, like it threatened to do
b) Romano didn't bust out the nukes to prevent annihilation
c) You overcame popular support at home - literally. You have the 20 Year Update, read Melissa's and Katrina's opinion on the mid-3030s planned invasion of the Confederation

>The DC shares an extremely long border with the FC, plus is a match for them militarily

It's outnumbered almost 3:1 in terms of mech regiments AND holds quite few (dozens?) of planets in the Draconis March ripped away in the Fourth Succession War. There's an easy-to-whupp opponent AND a reason for war. It was plenty good reason to start the War of 3039, and Theodore Kurita admitted the FS & LC had the DC on the ropes in 3039. If only Hanse had pressed forward...but oh, no, he bought Teddy boy's bluff.

>Although lacking a large number of units., the FWL is simply too large at the current time for a Davion assualt

Only if you're thinking in terms of total conquest. You can break a nation just fine without overrunning the whole thing.

Edited by Cray (08/16/02 09:25 PM)
masdog5
08/16/02 09:42 PM

This is pretty much a general outline and a work in progress. Notice that there is no reason behind the attack on the CC. Thats because I havent come up with one yet.

Thanks for pointing that out to me. Ideas that I can come up with off the top of my head include Romano getting balsy and attempting (or succeeding) to kill Hanse, Melissa, Victor, Candace, or Kai. If an attempt on anyone succeeded, it would probably be Candace Laio who bit the dust, giving the FC pretext to launch a war and absorb St. Ives.

If I really wanted to go after the little guys, I would have gone after the FRR.
CrayModerator
08/16/02 09:48 PM

The Combine is a military threat, but it is not a strong opponent for the FC, and it offers readymade reasons to attack. Further, the Dieron district, the district vulnerable to a pincer action, is the Combine's industrial heart and soul.

And yet you want to attack the Confederation.

Whatever. Your timeline. Assassination, nukes on New Avalon, all that works as a reason for war with the Confederation.

masdog5
08/16/02 10:51 PM

Actually, if you notice, FC does take Dieron after the DCMS attempts to cut the realm in two. I'm planning on having it so that Hanse wanted to bloody/weaken the Dragon before attacking them. It would sort of be a trap for the Dragon to fall into.

As for the attack on the Confederation...Who says they are the main target of this whole operation? Yeah, the war is started because of them. But what is to say that the FC isnt really going after Comstar.

Comstar, under Waterly, has openly stated they are opposed to the merger. They openly agitate against FedCom, sponsored an 3 way pact between the other houses, and engaged in a shadow war with MIIO. During the 4th Succession War, they interdicted the FedSun half of the FC after troops landed on Sarna.

So now lets put some strategy into all this and change a few things. Comstar declares interdiction on FC after second or third wave launch(whatever falls on Sian...havent decided yet) so the entire realm doesnt cave-thus altering the balance of power. In response, FC forces seize, or attempt to seize, all HPG stations and Comguards equiptment. This, in effect, would hold comstar hostage, as roughly half the inner sphere's HPG stations would be under someone elses control.

Comstar probably wouldnt take direct military action against the FC if it had attacked the DC instead of the CC. By further weakening its military, its sets up for the last part of the 5th, and what could be considered the true goal- Terra.
Karagin
08/16/02 10:54 PM

Sounds good! Looking forward to it.!
Karagin

CrayModerator
08/16/02 11:25 PM

Uh-huh.

Anyway, last question: why the bizarre trial between Hohiro and Victor to settle leadership issues for the invasion of Clan space? Is that how Bulldog was worked out in FASA's "history"?

masdog5
08/16/02 11:39 PM

No, it didnt work out that way in FASA history. But if you notice in mine, Victor and Hohiro have a number of duels.

Also, since this is to go and get the clans, it would only be fitting if Jaime Wolf had them do a trial for leadership of the mission, although arguements over who would lead it could have caused this trial.
CrayModerator
08/16/02 11:55 PM

>But if you notice in mine, Victor and Hohiro have a number of duels

The Inner Sphere is not the Clans. Testosterone-fueled manly wrasslin' matches (in or out of mechs) generally doesn't fit into the Inner Sphere way of settling matters of state. It neither answers who is correct, nor who is the more able leader, nor who has the most politically expedient answer. The Kuritans might go along with it due to their samurai culture, but Victor's followers (Lyrans esp.) are going to be wondering why they should care what a duel settles about (in this case) leading an army. Individually capable warriors aren't necessarily individually capable generals.

>Also, since this is to go and get the clans, it would only be fitting if Jaime Wolf had them do a trial for leadership of the mission

I suspect Jaime Wolf, who encouraged teamwork between leaders and their children in FASA's history on Outreach with various training exercises (and tongue-lashed them when they failed to cooperate), would suggest a less combative route to selecting the most able and politically expedient leader. "Going to get the Clans" calls for a leader who won't fail the task of managing an enormous number of personnel, supplies, and transports, not a leader who can win a duel. Being able to fight duels is just a useful bonus if the Inner Sphere force is going to be silly enough to fight Clan-style duels.

But then, I've always been dismayed by the Clans' "might makes right, intelligent, and good" theory of governing and will disparage it wherever I see it cropping up. If having leaders settle matters of state in a wrestling ring suits your timeline, use it.

masdog5
08/17/02 12:00 AM

You bring up a number of good points.

I might have to rethink parts of this a little more than I thought.
Pages: 1
Extra information
2 registered and 72 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6954

Contact Admins Sarna.net