Destroyer with the Punch of a Battlecruiser

Pages: 1
CrayModerator
08/16/02 09:38 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Just a quick test to see if I could meet the text description of a Caspar drone. The result is fast compared to a majority of Star League-era ships and it has the firepower of a Battle Cruiser (the Black Lion; it compares well with the Aegis and McKenna, too, though it's fairly short ranged.) At first glance, it outguns the Conquerer-class Battlecruiser and compared to the Cameron...heh. The armor is good for the era, but nothing to write home about in 3067.

The weapons are not arranged for a slugging match, but rather diving passes.

AeroTech 2 Vessel Technical Readout
NOT AT ALL VALIDATED

Class/Model/Name: Lola IV
Tech: Star League / 2750
Vessel Type: WarShip

Mass: 670,000 tons
Power Plant: Standard
Safe Thrust: 4
Maximum Thrust: 6
Armor Type: Lamellor Ferro-carbide
Armament:
24 NAC-35s
6 AR-10s
160 ER PPCs
96 Pulse Small Lasers
2400 rounds NAC/35 ammo
3600 tons missiles

code:

Class/Model/Name: LOLA IV
Mass: 670,000 tons

Equipment: Mass
Power Plant, Drive & Control: 160,800.00
Thrust: Safe Thrust: 4
Maximum Thrust: 6
Kearny-Fuchida Hyperdrive: Compact (Integrity = ??) 303,175.00
Jump Sail: (Integrity = ?) 64.00
Structural Integrity: 100 67,000.00
Total Heat Sinks: 5,679 Double 5,000.00
Fuel & Fuel Pumps: 1,020.00
Bridge, Controls, Computer & Attitude Thrusters: 1,675.00
Fire Control Computers: 13,132.00
Armor Type: Lamellor Ferro-carbide (670 total armor pts) 670.00
Capital Scale Armor Pts
Fore: 165
Fore-Left/Right: 110/110
Aft-Left/Right: 105/105
Aft: 105
Cargo:
Cargo (1) 12,423.00
DropShip Capacity: 0 0.00
Grav Decks: None 0.00
Life Boats: 50 (7 tons each) 350.00
Crew and Passengers: 200 2,000.00

FORWARD:
6 NAC/35s (100 rounds/e)
1 AR-10 (600 tons missiles)
20 ER PPCs
12 Pulse Small Lasers

FORE LEFT / FORE RIGHT
4 NAC/35s (100 rounds/e)
20 ER PPCs
12 Pulse Small Lasers

LEFT BROADSIDE / RIGHT BROADSIDE
2 NAC/35s (100 rounds/e)
20 ER PPCs
12 Pulse Small Lasers

AFT LEFT / AFT RIGHT
2 NAC/35s (100 rounds/e)
20 ER PPCs
12 Pulse Small Lasers

AFT
2 NAC/35s (100 rounds/e)
20 ER PPCs
12 Pulse Small Lasers

Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Edited by Cray (08/16/02 01:49 PM)
Highball
08/16/02 01:09 PM

Just a few notes on your design .......

Fuel Capacity: The 1,020 tons you give it would only allow it to operate for 26 days (7 days at max thrust). That makes the ship extrmemly limited in its usefulness in guarding the system and in constant need of fuel resupply.

Speed: The Caspar ships were described as being very fast and extremely agile ...... a speed of 4/6 will not accomplish that. That speed barely makes them an equal to destroyers of the time, which they were suppose to be better than. A speed of 5/8 is more appropriate, or even 6/9.

Armor: While the armor is OK, the Caspar was described as being able to survive raking passes of much larger ships. Your vessels armor leaves the armor threshold so low that all but a smallest NAC (NAC/10) would blow through the armor. Definately not how a Caspar was described.

Weight: You are 33,000 tons overweight. Would have to remove eight of the NAC/35's to fix this problem.

Overview: While this is a decent design in its own rights, a Lola III has the weaponry to take this ship out in a fight. Even a little Vincent has the weaponry range to keep out of the sights your Lola IV and pick it apart. (both have the same speed as your Lola IV) I have been privy to battles by players in which a much smaller ship with superior speed can pick apart a much larger vessel with a lower speed (only one point in speed difference) because it can pick the time and range of its attack. Your Lola IV by no means represents what a Caspar would have been or could defeat it IMHO.
Combined arms is the only way to wage war.
CrayModerator
08/16/02 01:33 PM

>Fuel Capacity: The 1,020 tons you give it would only allow it to operate for 26 days (7 days at max thrust). That makes the ship extrmemly limited in its usefulness in guarding the system and in constant need of fuel resupply.

You know you can convert cargo space to fuel as needed, right? (Minding the 2% for pumps, of course.)

>Speed: The Caspar ships were described as being very fast and extremely agile ...... a speed of 4/6 will not accomplish that.

By the standards of the time, 4/6 is plenty agile - how many ships are more agile in 2750? And any spaceship with enough fuel can be "very fast."

>That speed barely makes them an equal to destroyers of the time, which they were suppose to be better than.

Were they supposed to be more agile than destroyers of the time? Where did you read that?

>Armor: While the armor is OK

This ship has better armor than anything under 1 million tons.

>the Caspar was described as being able to survive raking passes of much larger ships. vessels armor leaves the armor threshold so low that all but a smallest NAC (NAC/10) would blow through the armor

You looked at other 2750-era ships before describing the Lola IV's armor as merely "okay," right?

Even the mighty McKennas and Texases could not do what you describe. A full weapon bays of most ships will penetrate their armor thresholds, too. Heck, a Lola III can penetrate the side armor of the mighty Texas.

>Weight: You are 33,000 tons overweight

Indeed the Lola IV is.

>All of this done within the weight of 300,000 tons, which easily falls in the weight of a monitor.

1) So what? If you take out the KF drive of a warship, you can do just about whatever you want with the ship. There's nothing proven by showing you can build a super warship on 300,000 tons or less if you take out the KF drive.

2) What page of AT2 are monitors limited to 300,000 tons? The way you say, you seem to have found some official rule on the topic.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
08/16/02 01:42 PM

I like it. Sounds like one of mine...:D

Very nice.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
NathanKell
08/23/02 03:29 PM

300,000tons is the MFQ limit (the rules for Monitors were, I am given to understand, in that magazine). You can easily exceed that, but anything over 300kt can't be *transported*.

Regarding the ship itself, I'd feel better with NAC-30s. It's not like much of anything will have >590pts of armor on each facing. Except for the Leviathan Mk. 2--which, if I'm reading this blurry photo right, has 1,000pts /facing--which won't be penetrated by 70pt bays either.
Savings ought to go into armor--I'd certainly like to see a Battleship's armor at least on a Caspar drone.
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
CrayModerator
08/23/02 05:03 PM

MFQ, as Chris Hartford pointed out on CBT, is not exactly canon, and I was aiming to demonstrate a warship (not a monitor) could meet the fluff description of the Caspar.

In reply to:

Savings ought to go into armor--I'd certainly like to see a Battleship's armor at least on a Caspar drone

Each additional point of armor will cost 51 tons: 1 ton for the armor, 50 tons for the required SI. So you can get about 10 points per NAC/35 turned into a NAC/30, right?

NathanKell
08/23/02 05:54 PM

I've been gone for a week and a half, and haven't braved the unfathomable depths of CBT yet.

And yes, perhaps the armor comment was wishful thinking...but I was wishing very hard! Put the savings into another NAC-30 or two, then.
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4085

Contact Admins Sarna.net