Pages: 1
ChalengerII
08/18/02 05:46 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
What are LAM's?
who has them?
what are the rules?
etc
Heard a lot about them but nothing of what they are.
Challenger
novakitty
08/18/02 06:24 PM

LAMs are Land-Air-Mechs. If you have seen Robotech, you know exactly what these are.

Officially, no one has them. Although the Clans should have access to the designs, the "mech is mech and plane is plane" mentality has prevented them from making any use of the technology. In theory, a Star League cache might also contain the scematics neccessary to reconstruct them. LAMs were stricken from the battletech universe because they were to effective if used correctly, and people got whiney.

The rules can be found in Aerotech (original) or the Battletech Compendium (original).
meow
MacLeod
08/18/02 06:30 PM

They also can be found in the Tactical Handbook (now out of print, but I tend to use it a lot).
Drugs don't kill people, pancreatic cancer kills people.

... and whoever heard of a drug that causes pancreatic cancer?
Greyslayer
08/18/02 07:21 PM

'LAMs were stricken from the battletech universe because they were to effective if used correctly, and people got whiney.'

They were stricken because:

a) Fasa didn't have the license to produce the artwork and since all LAMs were directly related to robotech ....

b) The technology incorporated in creating such a item was outbalanced for the time (even clan tech seems 'low-tech' compared to the power a LAM can hold).

c) Rules could not be effectively found to balance the unit out.

d) Clans have apparently tried them out with a mechwarrior and pilot in a dual-cockpit configuration (of course the fact that a mech must be at least 60 tons to have a dual cockpit and a LAM cannot be any heavier than 55 tons obviously didn't register on the lowly writer's mind at the time).

e) This isn't Transformers.

LAMs not being in the game is great! I would prefer to see the entire universe converted to using Protomechs over a single factory of some cretin LAM being built.

Greyslayer
Karagin
08/18/02 07:24 PM

There are three canon LAMs in the game, which are now level 3 units. The rules are found in the Tactical Handbook and earlier edtions of the BT Compedium as well as Aerotech and I believe Battlespace as well.

They are the P-Hawk LAM, Stinger LAM and Wasp LAM.

What they are are transformable mechs that can go from humaniod form to aerospace fighter or Airmech mode.

They are similar to the Veritech fighters of Robotech.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Nightward
08/18/02 07:47 PM

"LAMs not being in the game is great! I would prefer to see the entire universe converted to using Protomechs over a single factory of some cretin LAM being built."

Whoah. From you, that's really saying something. I would've thought you would be all in favour of LAMs. "Eat *THIS*, Clan scum!"
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Greyslayer
08/18/02 08:06 PM

'Whoah. From you, that's really saying something. I would've thought you would be all in favour of LAMs. "Eat *THIS*, Clan scum!"'

Clans = unbalanced
LAMs = Clans x 7
therefore
Clans = lesser of two evils

Players who go 'I whupped this clan force with my customised IS force (Do note most of their force is customised with Clan gear and C3) and a LAM (again customised with C3 and Clan Gear)' have no skill nor any respect for the level of balance needed to play the game at a tactical level.

I could easily if I was a Clan player destroy these players with either certain equipment (Arrow IV ... this though is not really clannish since they don't like the artical) or level 3 rules (sure they can jump 14 hexes into my back but that unit that just didn't fire is now on opportunity fire ... I dare the unit to move and if it didn't it is still dead. Still I find it unbalanced anyway)

Greyslayer
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 59 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4008

Contact Admins Sarna.net