Pencil Cases Banned from Elementary Schools!!!!

Pages: 1
KamikazeJohnson
08/30/02 11:05 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Ok, so it's back-to-school time once again, and the kids are dragging out their school supply lists, which include all the old familiar (though somewhat excessive) entries: 24 pencils, 3 glue sticks, 2000 sheets of loose leaf, etc. etc. etc. Conspicuously absent from these lists, (at least here in Winnipeg) are the good-ol' pencil cases. According to the current school policy, students (elementary school, at least) are not allowed to use pencil cases. I repeat...are not allowed to use pencil cases. Instead, they're supposed to use a gigantic plastic carrying case which barely fits in a backpack, and keep all their school supplies for the year in it. That's right, all 24 pencils, all 3 glue sticks, each and every individually labelled pencil crayon, in the same box, so they can be misplaced all at once.

Does anyone besides me find this a bit absurd? Better yet, can anyone come up with a coherent, logical explanation as to why students are not allowed to use pencil cases?

Is the whole worlds crazy, or just our education system?
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Spartan
08/31/02 12:13 AM

I think it best to direct you to my post in the thread about dumb lab partners, where I discuss my theory on human choices.
Spartan

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

(I refer you to what Nightward said)
novakitty
08/31/02 12:29 AM

"Better yet, can anyone come up with a coherent, logical explanation as to why students are not allowed to use pencil cases?"

Put simply, anything can be used as a weaponby one whose imagination has not yet been smote by the school system. Yet the rules that pathetically attempt to restrict this only spot one item at a time and foolishly believe that removing that item will stop the violence.
meow
Nightmare
08/31/02 02:11 AM

-Does anyone besides me find this a bit absurd?

A bit, yes. Some kind of explanation had better be offered.

-Better yet, can anyone come up with a coherent, logical explanation as to why students are not allowed to use pencil cases?

Perhaps someone`s afraid they`ll smuggle in explosives or weapons for a terrorist attack? Can`t think of any other.
Advice for Evil Overlords:
My legions of terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice.
Greyslayer
08/31/02 02:26 AM

I reckon someone is getting a 'kick-back' from a supplier somewhere. Check the Principals bank balance

Greyslayer
MacLeod
08/31/02 03:09 AM

Dude, a ballpoint pen is a more effective weapon than a pencil case. You can stab someone with the pen - the case only pisses them off. You can't really use a pencil case effectively to hurt people!

Trust me, I've tried.
Drugs don't kill people, pancreatic cancer kills people.

... and whoever heard of a drug that causes pancreatic cancer?
novakitty
08/31/02 07:24 AM

Be sure to let the schools know this, so they can ban all writing implements.
meow
Khan_Robinette
08/31/02 09:07 AM

Maybe they are in favoor of violence....the pencil case could maybe be used as a shield against a pen, pencil, glue stick, somewielding a paper knife etc...
"Teach me and I'll teach you
If you need a hand I'll give you two
Respect me and I'll respect you
Disrespect me and I will destroy you"
Spartan
08/31/02 11:06 AM

"...so they can ban all writing implements. "

That's a good idea. After all, the pen is mightier than the sword. And God forbid some kid be hurt by a pen.

It has gone to the point of utter foolishness now in the schools. I have a friend I work with who just recently finished high school but while he was in he actually got called out of class to witness his car being searched for contraband because he had left a pair of scissors in it that he had used to cut up poster board for a school project! And then when they didn't find anything (big suprise) they threatened him with arrest if they ever had to come out to his car again!

Yet another friend of mine(in college this time) is in the Marine Corps. He was on campus on a Monday after weekend duty visiting his girlfriend before afternoon classes. He had just got back from said duty and still had all his gear in the back of his truck, including his Marine issue K-Bar. An school officer saw it, confiscated it, then had it destroyed! (For perspective, this school is in a highly rural area and students routinely carry knives to class{folding knives in sheaths on their belt, not small ones either} and nothing is said about that)
Spartan

Countergod
08/31/02 03:38 PM

"It has gone to the point of utter foolishness now in the schools. "

Forget the schools, the entire country has gone like this. Either they seem to think that people have no common sense (which it seems many dont if you read some of the labeling on packages i.e. warning: Contents will be hot when heated. gee.....) or people have no brains (I have met a few people....)
***Chemistry is like art. One wrong move can really ruin your day!***

To: All other empire leaders
Subject: Hi Neveron
Date Sent: 7/12/3222 12:50:00 AM

May i just point out u all suck
Maj. NevLord Madman
KamikazeJohnson
08/31/02 03:47 PM

>>Either they seem to think that people have no common sense (which it seems many dont if you read some of the labeling on packages i.e. warning: Contents will be hot when heated. gee.....) or people have no brains (I have met a few people....) <<

Either that, or they're worried people will sue them for their own stupidity. Such as dumping fresh coffee in your lap, then suing the coffee shop for damages. Of course, if the coffee isn't hot, they complain and expect a refund

It's just a huge continent-wide case of CYA
--Thomas Jefferson
Countergod
08/31/02 11:19 PM

CYA?
***Chemistry is like art. One wrong move can really ruin your day!***

To: All other empire leaders
Subject: Hi Neveron
Date Sent: 7/12/3222 12:50:00 AM

May i just point out u all suck
Maj. NevLord Madman
KamikazeJohnson
09/01/02 12:03 AM

CYA = Cover your @$$
--Thomas Jefferson
Spartan
09/01/02 12:30 AM

Worse yet, the people who enact the rules to protect themselves from the stupid(of whom there seem to be legions) are more concerned with appearing to do something rather than actually doing something meaningful. And when they do do something meaningful, either A. it's not considered to be drastic enough or B. it's considered to drastic.

I think Al Pacino made a good point in "The City" when his character said, "Why is it whenever you can do some good, the nice people come in and screw you up?"

Though I would have said "nice and/or stupid people."
Spartan

Nightward
09/01/02 07:08 PM

I can only imagine they fear pencil cases could be used to hide weapons. Mind you, if this new case is as large as you say, could it not *BE USED TO HIDE MORE AND/OR LARGER WEAPONS*?

Gnah. Sometimes, people are so stupid. My father's chainsaw bears this warning on the blade: "Not to be stopped with hands, feet, or genitals." Duh......
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
SSFSX17
09/06/02 06:13 PM

What I would do myself is:
1) Keep a set in my desk at school (I think Elementary School desks basically belong to you for the school year)
2) Keep a set in my home
3) Have a small pencil BAG that I use. I like pencil bags a lot because they don't break easily and they can be made into made different shapes.

I myself am in High School, and I use a tiny pencil bag.

But yeah, banning pencil boxes is just lame.
Lousy good-for-nothing mortals. Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6486

Contact Admins Sarna.net