Return of St. Ives

Pages: 1
wolfcannon
09/12/02 04:03 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
in the CBT forum, i saw a post on the return of the St. Ives
Compact and was happy to see the return of one of my favorite States in the Battletech world.
Clan Wolf in Exile
328th Assault Cluster(the Lion Hearted)
Bravo Trinary
Alpha Star
Star Captain James Sword
Nightward
09/12/02 05:48 PM

Heya. Welcome to Sarna.

Could you post a link to that thread? I went to CBT to try and find it myself and came up empty. Thanks.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
wolfcannon
09/13/02 04:57 PM

its in the Fan Fic section, hope you enjoy the fluff as much
as i did
Clan Wolf in Exile
Bravo Trinary
Alpha Star
Star Captain James Sword
PeterSmith
09/13/02 05:33 PM

I'm going to ask the stupid question...

You *do* know that the FanFic section is not canon, right? Stories written by the fans.

SPOILERS BELOW

However, in Endgames, we have Kai Allard-Liao telling Victor that he (Kai) has sworn an oath of fealty to Sun-Tzu Liao. Which pretty much makes the re-integration of the St. Ives Commonality back into House Liao complete.
Peter Smith
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.
Lance_Hawkins
09/13/02 08:12 PM

Woohoo, about time!

Kai is fully Sun-Tzu's [selfcensored]!

I have seen the best of men go past, I do not want to be the last.
wolfcannon
09/14/02 07:44 AM

yes i understand that. but i will use the story in my battletech
game in an altered timeline than the one wizkids is using.
Clan Wolf in Exile
Bravo Trinary
Alpha Star
Star Captain James Sword
Cypher41
09/14/02 08:02 AM

Proved that the writing of the end of the Classic timeline was spotty at best.

Kai would never be Sunny's [selfcensored]
Moloch
09/14/02 02:28 PM

When did Kai do this? or did they just throw that in with out thinking?
Popular Bumper Stickers
“Keep honking: I’m re-loading”
“If you don’t mind, please eject now: that Mech is a **** to salvage"
“I ran out of room to stencil all the Mechs I’ve killed, so now I just go by regiment’s wiped out.”
realworldviews
09/15/02 01:34 AM

Kai reveils its in EndGame.
It also signifies that the St Ives Compact is once again completly part of the CapCon.
I can only hope somehow that Kai decides to overthrow good old Sunnie boy, like he should have done years ago.
Colonel Brian Davis
Gamers United
"Dreams become reality, for all who start off with a dream"
MacLeod
09/15/02 02:51 PM

Dude, the thing is that Kai doesn't want to overthrow Sunny. In the Blood of Kerensky trilogy (book 2 I think) he told Sunny all about how he didn't want the Celestial Throne. Kai is no politician,and spending his years on a throne would be an agonizing death for a fellow Warrior. Cassandra or Kuan-Yin could do much better jobs on the throne.

Of course, Kai would have to be the one who lead the revolution, and he could kick Sunny's @$$ any day of the week and twice on Thursdays.
Drugs don't kill people, pancreatic cancer kills people.

... and whoever heard of a drug that causes pancreatic cancer?
realworldviews
09/15/02 04:18 PM

He wouldn't have to take the throne. When you overthrow a gov't you can put who ever you want into the position of leadership.
And I just never liked Sun-Tzu.
Colonel Brian Davis
Gamers United
"Dreams become reality, for all who start off with a dream"
MacLeod
09/15/02 04:43 PM

How could anyone like Sunny-Bunny? He was a coward and a megalomaniac, although he did have more sense than his mother, sister, or grandfather.
Drugs don't kill people, pancreatic cancer kills people.

... and whoever heard of a drug that causes pancreatic cancer?
Nightward
09/15/02 06:56 PM

Dude, Minsc (from Baldur's Gate) had a better grasp of sanity, tactics, and leadership than Maximillian, Romano, or Kali Liao
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
PeterSmith
09/15/02 07:30 PM

"Proved that the writing of the end of the Classic timeline was spotty at best."

Actually, it proves how little you understand the members of the Liao family. Each of the members of the dynasty would put the lives of the citizens of the Capellan Confederation over their own lives, and this included Candice, Sun-Tzu, Kai, Cassandra, Kuan-Yun and Kali, though in her own twisted way. Candice knew that she was not going to maintain her independence from the Capellan Confederation, and that further warfare would only cause pain on the peoples on *both* sides of the conflict. And that pain would not be limited to military personel. Sun-Tzu also knew that, but from his perspective, the war would drain the will to live that he worked so hard to reinstate in the Confederation. And Kai knew that the position he would need to be in to do the most good for the citizens of the Confederation would be on the inside. Kai made a sacrifice to save somebody else. How many times have we seen that happen before?
Peter Smith
Greyslayer
09/15/02 09:03 PM

If that was truly the case Sunny would've done away with Kali before she killed so many people, despite her being his sister.

Greyslayer
PeterSmith
09/16/02 01:38 PM

That's cool. Let us know how things end up in your world.
Peter Smith
PeterSmith
09/16/02 01:44 PM

Well, tossing out the line "It's his sister, could you order the death of yours?" for the sake of completeness, I can see that decision from both sides. If you kill her, you have an excellent chance to set off a revenge plan in place (you know she's both smart enough and crazy enough to have one). If you leave her alive, you have the chance of her either escaping or still controlling things somehow. And I'm not even going to go near reformation, she's too far in her own world.

Further, from a third perspective, you have her alive for the same reason Katherine is still alive: Why kill off a character that can cause so much conflict, one who can create so many stories and plot threads? No, they're fun to have around, because you can do so much with them.
Peter Smith
Bob_Richter
09/16/02 02:23 PM

>>>Candice knew that she was not going to maintain her independence from the Capellan Confederation,<<<

Horse Puckey.

There was no way the CapCon could have conquered her, given the position it was in. Well, at least not without her troops to aid them.

They shouldn't have gotten as far as they did, as it required the complete subjugation of two very proud periphery nations to do it.

Working for Sun-Tzu is not the best way to serve the Capellan people, and Kai knows it. So do his sisters. So does his mother. Only Sun-Tzu doesn't know it. Story of his life.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Bob_Richter
09/16/02 02:27 PM

>>>It's his sister, could you order the death of yours?" <<<

Sun-Tzu is a cold-blooded murderer. He has sacrificed millions of his people on the alter of his personal glory. What's one more, even his sister (whom he's not terribly fond of?)

>>>If you kill her, you have an excellent chance to set off a revenge plan in place<<<

One must take risks if one sits on the Celestial Throne. Kali had never imagined that the Chancellor would "betray" her. She had no revenge plan in place (as history proves), and Sun-Tzu could have anticipated this.

>>>Why kill off a character that can cause so much conflict,<<<

Because her continued existence makes no sense in context, just like Katherine's.

They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
PeterSmith
09/16/02 11:28 PM

"There was no way the CapCon could have conquered her, given the position it was in."

Coming off the first stages of a massive rebuilding process, with the military at its highest point in decades, folding the Big MAC into the Capellan military, strategic use of Star League troopers as well as the forces pledged to him by his allies. And a motivated population.

And let's not forget that at least one planet in St. Ives territory immediately jumped at the opportunity to return to the Capellan Confederation, and at least two more put up no resistance.

"Working for Sun-Tzu is not the best way to serve the Capellan people, and Kai knows it. So do his sisters. So does his mother."

Then why did Kai swear fealty to Sun-Tzu, and place his unit under the command of Senior General Talon Zhan? Why is Kuan-Yun still extremely active in her support programs? And if Candice knew that working for Sun-Tzu was a waste of time, why did she not kill him when she not only had the opportunity but had the backing of the Federated Commonwealth as well, and then sue for peace when she was faced with the possible destruction of the land and resources she stole from her father? And before you answer, how about you refresh yourself with the terms of the settlement. You can find them in the Capellan Field Manual. Then tell me if she truly is hurting under the rule of her nephew.
Peter Smith
Karagin
09/17/02 12:40 AM

That is easy to explain away...he swore an oath so he could go help Victor...simple and easy...other wise Sunny Boy would have never let his dear cousin out of his sight...all of this is from the okay novel End Game...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Bob_Richter
09/17/02 04:47 PM

>>>Coming off the first stages of a massive rebuilding process, with the military at its highest point in decades,<<<

Which gave it enough strength, barely, to defend the worlds it had taken.

>>>folding the Big MAC into the Capellan military,<<<

Which did nothing to increase its strength. McCarron's Armored Cavalry has been part of the Capellan Military for centuries as a matter of fact, even if not officially.

>>>Then why did Kai swear fealty to Sun-Tzu, and place his unit under the command of Senior General Talon Zhan? <<<

That's my point exactly. He wouldn't have. Shouldn't have. It was a mistake by the writers and developers.

Black_Cat_F
09/24/02 03:29 AM

"Butt kicking for goodness!"

Man, I haven't played that game for a while.

I'm not a big Sun Tzu fan, but he did do some good things for the Cap Con...

I've worked with every damn mercenary in the Inner Sphere and I swear you're the most annoying.
Black Cat - www.201ststrykers.com
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 117 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6503

Contact Admins Sarna.net