New Project Phoenix Mechs

Pages: 1
realworldviews
10/04/02 08:12 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Classic Battletech has the October releases for Project Phoenix up on their web page.

And the are...
The Shadow Hawk, which looks pretty sweet.
The Rifleman , which I have to say looks damn good.
The Archer, which also looks alright, not as cool as the original but...

And finally the Ostscout ...
The Ostscout??? Yes boys and girls the new and improved and pretty spiffy Ostscout.

So everyone, What are your takes on this month mechs.
Generally I like them this month.
I can't wait to see the rest.
Colonel Brian Davis
Gamers United
"Dreams become reality, for all who start off with a dream"
MacLeod
10/04/02 10:50 PM

New Shadow Hawk.... ooooohgod..... can't control myself....

I MUST HAVE ONE!
Drugs don't kill people, pancreatic cancer kills people.

... and whoever heard of a drug that causes pancreatic cancer?
Spartan
10/05/02 10:34 AM

>>I MUST HAVE ONE!

ONE?!?! Just one? I must have them all!!!!!! (Except the ost variants, yuck. I've always hated them) The Archer is really sweet, my favorite variant had always been the LRM15/LL mix and now they seem to have improved upon that. And the Rifleman just looks plain menacing.

THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!THEY'REBACK!
Spartan

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

(I refer you to what Nightward said)
MacLeod
10/05/02 04:32 PM

By 'one', I meant a Shadow Hawk. I hecka want one of those new Riflemen, and a lance of those Archers would be deadly.

About the Ost series... at least the new Ostscout has decent weaponry for a scout 'Mech now!

dwug
10/05/02 06:37 PM

Calm down Spartan, breath deeply and slowly. You don't want to pass out, fall down, break somthing and not be able to buy any of them do you? There, that's better.

Gimme, Gimme,Gimme, Gimme,Gimme, Gimme,Gimme, Gimme, Gimme,Gimme, Gimme,Gimme, Gimme,Gimme, Gimme,Gimme, Gimme,Gimme,Gimme,Gimme,Gimme,Gimme,Gimme,Gimme,Gimme,Gimme,Gimme,Gimme,Gimme,Gimme,Gimme,Gimme,Gimme, Gimme,Gimme, Gimme,Gimme, Gimme,Gimme, Gimme,Gimme, Gimme,Gimme, Gimme,Gimme, Gimme,Gimme, Gimme,Gimme, Gimme,Gimme, Gimme,Gimme, Gimme,Gimme, Gimme,Gimme, Gimme,Gimme, Gimme,Gimme, Gimme,Gimme, Gimme,Gimme, Gimme,Gimme, Gimme,Gimme, Gimme,Gimme, Gimme,Gimme, Gimme,Gimme, Gimme,Gimme, Gimme,Gimme, Gimme!!!!

dwug
"Good Ash, Bad Ash, you're the one with the gun."
realworldviews
10/05/02 08:31 PM

How's that for a rude surprise.
Tell someone that your gonna include an Ostscout in your lance. Watch them laugh then let them find out the hard way that both they have a hard time hitting you and you can acctually do some damage to them.
heheheh
Colonel Brian Davis
Gamers United
Eclipz
10/05/02 10:28 PM

This is the best month I have seen so far IMO. Shadow Hawk is my favorite as far as looks........but they are all sweet.

Scott
MacLeod
10/06/02 01:28 AM

Now that's an embarrassing way to die...

Nightward
10/06/02 06:32 PM

WHHHHHHHY? My Archer...my beautiful, beloved Archer...what have they done to you? NOOOOOOO!

Bah! I could have done a better redesign in five seconds! ER Large Lasers....who came up with *THAT* one? Grrrrrr. As a long-time devotee of the Archer, I would like to enter a formal grievience with what they did to it.

I must say, though, that the new Shadow Hawk is pretty nifty.

But another thing: when is House Kurita going to get an upgraded 'Mech? We are major users of the Archer, and got squat. Ditto the War Hammer. Whilst I realise that at the moment everything is about the aftermath of the F-C Civil War, I'm pretty sure that the Luthien Armour Works personnel haven't been sitting around diddling their thumbs for the past seven years...

Ah, well. Enough sour grapes. I just hope the next lot of 'Mechs they put out are a bit more balanced...
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Greyslayer
10/07/02 11:08 AM

From the sound of it the archer is not symetrical. Its an interesting point that the archer of the past is a very symetrical beast (much alike most versions of the Crusader). The only archers to not cling religiously to this design strategy is the 5S and 5W (and that is by mounting a Narc Beacon on both variants). Creating a unit that has an 'unbalanced' weapon load could in effect make it not feel like an Archer. Another good example of this would be if a design of the Warhammer featured an ER Large Laser and ER PPC instead of twin ER PPCs, it could be acceptable by your gm as a refit but essentially it isn't the classic nor does it retain the 'feel' in my opinion of the designs before it.

This may not be the exact reason Nightward does not like the design but it would be what I would pick up as a difference in design 'feel'.

Greyslayer
Nightward
10/07/02 10:06 PM

Spot on, Scott. The design itself is quite OK, but it just does not *FEEL* like an Archer. What it feels like to me is some sort of Wolfhound/Catapualt hybrid...and that's why I do not like it. Ah, well. At least we still have the old 5M model with the dual Artemised LRM-20s
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
realworldviews
10/08/02 12:16 AM

The new Archer is symetrical.
ARC-8M
LRM-15 w/A4 & 2 tons Ammo & CASE in each torso
ERMed each arm
ERMed in head
ER LL in CT

I like to try and have some symetry in the mechs I create and this one has it.
To me it does feel like an archer, an Archer with a Large Laser where its belly button would be.
Colonel Brian Davis
Gamers United
Greyslayer
10/08/02 01:39 AM

So they crossed a grasshopper with an archer? I don't know about you but it doesn't feel like an archer like that. Didn't it have one laser pointing rearwards as well (don't get me wrong I like the archer with 2 lasers pointing rearwards but this only has one so why not use a laser that is in the arm instead?).

A design I had come up with had 4 x ER Mediums and 2 Rear Facing Medium Lasers and a total of 14 double heat sinks. It is a helluva more effective and retains the archer feel, but then again it could be quoted as a energy-boat with a couple of LRM15s tacked on up to the player really.

Greyslayer
Spartan
10/08/02 07:58 AM

Is it the configuration of the lasers that throws you off or the lack of 20 racks? The reason I ask is the main Kurita variant of the Archer(at least in the 3025 TRO) is the dual LLaser and LRM15 model.
Spartan

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

(I refer you to what Nightward said)
realworldviews
10/08/02 09:30 AM

Well I do agree that the ERML in the head should be rear facing. It would make it more proper.

So it doesn't feel like an Archer b/c they put a LL in the belly.
Even though all the rest just screams ARCHER.
All well, to each their own. Some people will like them, some won't.
Colonel Brian Davis
Gamers United
Nightward
10/08/02 05:13 PM

A bit of both. As I said, the design is quite OK, but it lacks the Archer feel- no rear-facing Medium lasers, no problems with heat to make you play smart...I dunno. The Archer was the second 'Mech I ever used, and the first Inner Sphere 'Mech I ever played with. Since then, if I could fit an Archer in my force, I've always taken it. This new one doesn't quite feel right to me. But hey, those who like it like it and those who don't won't use it.

Still, I stand by my earlier comments on the fact that only the FC, FWL and CC are getting updated 'Mechs. The Draconis Combine should be in line for some ph4t l3wt, but they seem to have shoved the DCMS way, way back into the background of late...
Karagin
10/10/02 11:51 AM

This new Shadow Hawk looks like a bigger version of Jango Fett...dual laser pistols...jumping through the air...can we say super power armor...

Of the four the Shadow Hawk is the biggest let down. I will stick with the older picture and miniature and leave this Jango Fett wanna be for use in a SW game or as a paper weight.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Durango
10/10/02 04:01 PM

I agree...the Shadow Hawk has suffered the most of all the re-makes...followed closely by the Rifleman, which has been turned into a Galahad wannabe.

Christ, those radar fins...what were they THINKING?

But I saw a painted, built version of the Pheonix Hawk over on HPG Uplink, and lemme tellyou...that thing is about 10 times as good as I anticipated it would be. Who knows?

Maybe they'll make the minis look better than the drawings.

I'm a little concerned that all the new 100 ton 'Mechs are being made practically in N-scale these days. It seems an insidious way to get us used to playing with dolls...thinly disguised as "making them to scale"...
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 158 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4985

Contact Admins Sarna.net